5th Bear Guards (Rasalhague Dominion)
- Devlin Stone's Origins Revealed
- BattleTech Is Coming In April!
- Blaine Lee Pardoe Provides Fascinating Look At “Twilight Of The Clans” Origins
- Year of Battle Armor: Unit 1 - Corona Heavy Battle Armor
- Community Outreach - Interview With Brent Evans, Lead BattleTech Developer At Catalyst Games
- Read more →
|Fifth Bear Guards Cluster|
|Unit Profile (as of 3079)|
|Parent Formation||Omega Galaxy|
|Formed||Between 3055 and 3057|
First Draconis Combine/Ghost Bear War
As a part of Omega Galaxy the Fifth Bear Guards were directly involved in the First Draconis Combine / Ghost Bear War, which began in 3062 with a suicidal attack by three regiments of the Alshain Avengers against Alshain. The units of Omega Galaxy fought Draconis Combine Mustered Soldiery troops on Schuyler and Meilen and then faced off against Clan Nova Cat forces on Yamarovka, location of the last of the surviving Alshain Avengers. Before Omega could engage the Avengers the rogue DCMS unit was destroyed by the Nova Cat's Zeta Galaxy, which then retreated offworld before offering even token resistance to the Ghost Bears.
Having been formed and trained specifically to fight Inner Sphere opponents, Omega was ideally suited for fighting the Word of Blake. As a consequence the Fifth Bear Guards and the other Clusters within Omega Galaxy saw some of the heaviest fighting of the Jihad, working alongside the Ghost Bear Alpha Galaxy throughout the conflict. The first campaign Omega was involved in was the assault on Luthien; in December 3074, the Alpha, Omega and Rho Galaxies of Clan Ghost Bear swept onto Luthien, intent on wiping out all Blakist forces. Omega expected to face Blakist forces but instead found itself attacked by the Sixth Benjamin and Fortieth Dieron Regulars, regiments loyal to the Kokuryu-kai or Black Dragon Society. Although Omega Galaxy devastated both rebel formations, Galaxy Commander Ortiz had to compensate for her malcontent warriors, who wanted to concentrate on the Blakist forces.
The Fifth Bear Guards and the other Ghost Bear forces fighting on Luthien never once offered zellbrigen to any of the Word units and effectively eradicated the Word forces on Luthien by the 20th of December. Very few survivors from the Word of Blake managed to flee or become captives, and the Ghost Bear forces destroyed any DCMS forces that attempted to interfere in the Ghost Bear campaign against the Word. As suddenly as they had arrived, the Ghost Bear forces left Luthien at the end of January, leaving the DCMS to frantically redeploy forces to fortify the world; the relief units began arriving two weeks later on the 14th of February, only to find no sign of any Blakist troops in the wake of the Ghost Bear withdrawal. The destruction of the Forty-second Shadow Division on Luthien at the hands of the three galaxies of Ghost Bear troops represented the first instance of a Shadow Division being destroyed completely.
After Luthien Omega Galaxy formed a part of the Ghost Bear campaign designated as Alpha Wave, continuing to operate alongside Alpha Galaxy. In late August 3075 Alpha Wave launched a campaign to liberate Kaus Borealis, again ignoring all hails from Draconis Combine forces. In mid-September the allied coalition leader Devlin Stone travelled to Kaus Borealis with a small diplomatic party to meet with Clan Ghost Bear and attempt to enlist their support for the coalition. On the 21st of September, the Ghost Bears agreed to assist the coalition, and soon launched another wave of attacks against nearby worlds occupied by the Blakists.
After landing on Dyev alongside Alpha and Pi Galaxies during a wave of attacks against worlds in the Word of Blake Protectorate in July 3076, Omega Galaxy found itself facing a Blakist counteroffensive in December when a task force breached the blockade of Ghost Bear and Snow Raven ships in orbit and landed six Divisions of troops on the surface of Dyev. The Blakists landed around Trogport and the planetary capital, Novaya Mensk, before deploying outwards. Omega Galaxy found itself fighting alongside Alpha Galaxy against the Twenty-eighth Militia Division and the Third Bryant and First Lipton Protectorate Militia Divisions; the Blakists used the Tupik Chasm and various mining tunnel complexes that connected to the chasm as fortifications to try and resist the Ghost Bear attack.
In 3077, Alpha, Beta, Rho and Omega Galaxies launched an attack on Dieron. Dieron was a bloodbath for all the Ghost Bear Galaxies involved; when they landed on Dieron Omega had already been reduced to approximately half strength from fighting on Dyev and Khan Kabrinski initially held them back as a reserve unit, but Omega was involved in a horrific firefight around the Ghost Bear's main drop zone; Omega managed to hold off multiple Protectorate Militia units for a week despite their lack of numbers. Once Alpha reinforced Omega the Protectorate forces were destroyed. The campaign devastated Omega Galaxy, and both the Tenth Bear Cuirassiers and the 139th Striker Clusters were destroyed. The surviving personnel from Omega Galaxy were reassigned to Beta Galaxy.
The two Clusters from Omega Galaxy that survived the Dieron campaign, the Fifth Bear Guards and the 357th Assault Cluster, were seperated back out from Beta Galaxy when Beta returned to the Dominion and used to reform Omega, with each contributing units to form the new Galaxy Command Trinary, although that left each Cluster severely understrength.
The cluster was created with one goal in mind: to fight the IS armies with their own tactics. This includes tactical retreat, massed fire and others. 
Fifth Bear Guards
Fifth Bear Guards (Veteran/Fanatical)
- - Stationed on Polcenigo alongside the Trinary Galaxy Command at this point in time, the Fifth were at three-quarters of full strength with ninety percent of the Cluster equipped with OmniMechs or equivalent technology.
Fifth Bear Guards (Veteran/Fanatical)
- - Stationed on Gunzburg in 3079, the Fifth were at just one-quarter of full strength, although three-quarters of the Cluster were equipped with OmniMechs or equivalent technology.
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 61, "Omega Galaxy (The Raging Bears)"
- Field Report: Clans, p. 9, "Omega Galaxy"
- Jihad Turning Points: Luthien, p. 7, "Alpha Galaxy [Clan Ghost Bear]"
- Jihad Turning Points: Luthien, p. 7, "Omega Galaxy [Clan Ghost Bear]"
- Jihad Turning Points: Luthien, p. 7, "Rho Galaxy [Clan Ghost Bear]"
- Jihad Turning Points: Luthien, p. 11, "Damnation"
- Field Report: Clans, p. 9, "Rho Galaxy"
- Jihad Turning Points: Luthien, p. 7, "Omega Galaxy (Clan Ghost Bear)"
- Jihad Hot Spots: 3076, p. 55, "Timeline of the Jihad"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 53, "The Jihad In Review"
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 14, "Timeline of the Jihad"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 125, "Shadow Divisions"
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 18, "Timeline of the Jihad"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 54, "The Jihad In Review"
- Field Report: Clans, p. 10, "Pi Galaxy"
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 22, "Timeline of the Jihad"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 56, "The Jihad In Review"
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 18, "A Time Of Cleansing"
- Field Report: Clans, p. 9, "Alpha Galaxy"
- Field Report: Clans, p. 9, "Beta Galaxy"
- Jihad Turning Points: Dieron, p. 7, "Omega Galaxy (Clan Ghost Bear)"
- Field Manual: Warden Clans, p. 93, "5th Bear Guards Profile"
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 77, "Omega Galaxy (The Raging Bears)"
- Field Report: Clans, p. 11, "Deployment Status"