5th Capellan Defense Force
- Community Outreach - Interview With Brent Evans, Lead BattleTech Developer At Catalyst Games
- The Challenge With Balance in MechWarrior Online
- First BattleTech of 2018: Republic vs Free Worlds League
- MWO Benefit Tournament For MechWarrior Family That Lost Home Due To Fire
- Community Outreach - TwinkyOverlord of EmpyreaL, Current MWO Champs!
- Read more →
|Fifth Capellan Defense Force|
|Unit Profile (as of 3145)|
|Parent Formation||Capellan Defense Force|
The preponderance of Home Guard personnel at this unit's inception has made the regiment adept at defensive operations such as garrison duties and point defense. The relative stability of these types of missions may be what attracted the Capella War College into making the Fifth Capellan Defense Force a training cadre for their best students sometime after the Capellan Crusades of 3111. Despite being full of inexperienced warriors, the Strategios had no qualms sending them into battle.
Finding both the First and Second Capellan Defense Force at peak strength in 3079 with an abundance of extra equipment on Capella, the Strategios decided to vastly expand the brigade by adding three new regiments. The 5th Capellan Defense Force was formed from one battalion of the 2nd CDF and two battalions of Home Guard veterans. The unit was assembled quickly in 3081.
-3081-3084 - Immediately deployed upon formation to support Operation GOLDEN FORTRESS, the 5th Capellan Defense Force was divided into battalions and used to garrison worlds taken by other CCAF regiments. No significant combat occurred during this period.
-3085 - The Republic Armed Forces counteroffensive called Operation VINDOLANDA found the component 5th CDF defending Algot and New Aragon against the VII Principes Guards and VIII Principes Guards respectively. The 5th CDF battalions mounted a holding action against their more numerous and experienced foes before withdrawing two months later with horrendous casualties.
-October, 3085 - The CDF regiment found itself rebuilding on Shiba alongside the equally shattered 4th Tau Ceti Rangers and Lockhardt's Ironsides. They had an operational strength of one company of Battlemechs, one battalion of tanks and two companies of infantry.
On 7 September 3103, AFFS units under the command of Duchess Amanda Hasek launched an invasion of the Capellan Confederation. Later dubbed the Victoria War, it's objectives were to capture Victoria and enough planets to bridge it back to the Federated Suns.
-15 December 3103 - The 5th Capellan Defense Force arrived on Victoria as the Fifth Wave of reinforcements to the planet. Instead of seeking to expel the invaders as earlier reinforcements tried to do, the 5th CDF had orders to render the planet worthless. Combat dropping directly on the 22nd Avalon Hussars and 2nd Syrtis Fusiliers outside Pictish, the regiment ignored the defenders and concentrated on the Shengli Arms factory. The CDF regiment took over 50% casualties destroying it before they retreated back to their dropships while being pursued by the enraged Davion defenders. The regiment rendezvoused with Kingston's and Sung's Rangers and all three regiments left the system.
The regiment became a training cadre for Capella War College students sometime afterwards.
-3141 - The Fifth was assigned to raid Calloway VI, hoping to damage the Earthwerks Incorporated factories. There they faced the 8th Oriente Hussars. The Fifth assumed a tight formation and began a one hundred mile march to the facility. The Hussars placed several obstacles in the Fifth's path, but the Fifth overcame each one. They didn't make it to the factories, but they did inflict serious losses on the Oriente Hussars unit.
The unit is well versed defensive scenarios.
- CO: Sang-shao Giorgos Nikephoros
Twenty-seventh Styk Home Guard (2 Battalion's/Green/Reliable)
- CO: Zhong-shao Kit Wan Lee
Fifth CDF Infantry (2 Battalion's/Green/Fanatical)
- CO: Zhong-shao May Szeto
Fifth Capellan Defense Force (Regular/Reliable)
- CO: Sang-shao Vasilios Papakostas
Fifth CDF Aerospace Wing (Green/Reliable)
- CO: Kong-zhong-shao Wai Chuen Fan
Fifth CDF Armor Auxiliary (Green/Fanatical)
- CO: Zhong-shao Carl Frank Modder
Fifth CDF Infantry (Green/Reliable)
- CO: Zhong-shao Chiu Fung Yeung
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 29, "Capellan Defense Force"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 29, "STATE OF CAPELLAN TRAINING ACADEMIES"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 40
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 27, "General Review"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 28, "THE NEW OLD-FASHIONED WAY"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 33, "Capellan Confederation Armed Forces Deployment Table - 3085"
- Historical: Wars of the Republic Era, p. 50 "BLITZKRIEG"
- Historical: Wars of the Republic Era, p. 54
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 44, "Capellan Confederation Deployment Table - 3145"