5th Fleet (SLDF)
- Community Outreach - Interview With Brent Evans, Lead BattleTech Developer At Catalyst Games
- The Challenge With Balance in MechWarrior Online
- First BattleTech of 2018: Republic vs Free Worlds League
- MWO Benefit Tournament For MechWarrior Family That Lost Home Due To Fire
- Community Outreach - TwinkyOverlord of EmpyreaL, Current MWO Champs!
- Read more →
|Unit Profile (as of 2765)|
|Parent Formation||SLDF Naval Command|
The Fifth Fleet was a part of the Star League Defense Force Naval Command. It spent most of its time covering the border where the Capellan Confederation, Federated Suns, and Taurian Concordat met.
Although the Fifth Fleet was officially assigned to the Federated Suns region of the Star League to support the SLDF 2nd, 3rd and 4th Armies, the Fifth Fleet actually spent most of its time patrolling areas of tension and hotspots along the borders between the Federated Suns and the Capellan Confederation and Taurian Concordat. The "corner" where the three realms met insured a great deal of tension along this border, and the Fifth Fleet served to keep the lid on the tensions. As part of this, they coordinated their actions with the SLDF's Sixth, Eleventh, Sixteenth, and Nineteenth Fleets.
The Fifth Fleet's homeport was Midale, and the 52nd Line Squadron spent most of its time there, ready to support either Escort Squadron if called upon. The 54th and 57th Escort Squadrons were deployed to the border regions, and every three months they would alternate what border they were patrolling. In 2765 the Squadron that was assigned to the Federated Suns/Taurian Concordat border began escorting supply convoys into the Concordat. The 59th Reconnaissance Squadron spent most of its time inventorying and investigating uncharted systems, looking for pirate and bandit bases that were hidden from the SLDF or member nation military.
Kept in reserve initially when the Periphery Uprising erupted, when General Aleksandr Kerensky called for additional reinforcements the Fifth Fleet was the first SLDF force to cross the border in response.
The Fifth Fleet was comprised of four active squadrons immediately prior to the Amaris Civil War:
- 52nd Line Squadron (Golden Fire)
- 54th Escort Squadron (Void Spiders)
- Lead Ship: SLS St. Lawrence - CO: Vice Admiral Cavell Renwick
- 57th Escort Squadron (Star Slashers)
- Lead Ship: SLS De Ruyter - CO: Vice Admiral Chaviva Roberts
- 59th Reconnaissance Squadron (Silent Specters)
- Lead Ship: SLS Surveillante - CO: Vice Admiral Severin Littlejohn
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 46, "Fifth Fleet"
- Field Manual: SLDF, p. 86