5th Legion (Clan Steel Viper)
- Devlin Stone's Origins Revealed
- BattleTech Is Coming In April!
- Blaine Lee Pardoe Provides Fascinating Look At “Twilight Of The Clans” Origins
- Year of Battle Armor: Unit 1 - Corona Heavy Battle Armor
- Community Outreach - Interview With Brent Evans, Lead BattleTech Developer At Catalyst Games
- Read more →
|Unit Profile (as of 3074)|
|Parent Formation||Rho Galaxy|
War of Reaving
Rho Galaxy deployed the Fourth Fang, the Fifth Legion and the 141st Phallanx to Eden to engaged the garrison of Clan Wolf during their Abjuration in 3071. The Viper clusters had surrounded the Wolf enclave when they were hit by surprise by Coyote's Twenty-seventh Strike Cluster in the rear and then by the Wolves. In the confusion Galaxy Commander Varga was killed along with half his force.
In December 3074 the Vipers launched a massive assault on against Clan Coyote on Tamaron with six Galaxies and a large naval force. After a week of fighting in space the Vipers finally forced the remnant of the Coyote navy to flee. The ground forces made for their objectives, several major factory complexes in the Apache Mountains. Securing these cost the Coyotes both Epsilon and Lambda Galaxies. The Viper assault then turned toward the planetary capital of San Mateo By 16 December the city was surrounded. Four Coyote Galaxies had been destroyed, but at the cost of three of the Viper's own including Rho and the Fifth Legion.
The cluster was often opposition force during training cycles for the clusters of Alpha Galaxy. This gave the Cluster an advantage in defensive operations and after 3053 they also knew how to use Inner Sphere tactics against raiders with great effect.
Fifth Legion - Veteran/Fanatical 
Fifth Legion - Elite/Fanatical 
- 75% full strength with 100% of the force equipped with OmniMechs
- Objective Raids, p. 30
- Field Manual: Warden Clans, p. 168
- Field Manual: Update, p. 80
- The Wars of Reaving, p.96
- Wars of Reaving, p. 142-143
- Field Manual: Warden Clans, p. 147, "5th Legion Profile"