8th Amaris Dragoons
|Eighth Amaris Dragoons|
|Unit Profile (as of 2581)|
|Parent Formation||Amaris Dragoons|
With the Rim Worlds Republic in a state of civil war from 2575 onwards, the Eighth chose to support the rebel Rim Provisional Government. After several years the Star League was forced to intervene in an effort to restore control of the Republic to the control of First Consul Gregory Amaris. The resulting Star League Defense Force operation was named Operation MAILED FIST and began with a troop buildup along the border between the Lyran Commonwealth and the Rim Worlds Republic; in 2579 military operations began, and the world of Treeline was one of the first targets. Stationed on Treeline at the time was the Eighth.
Anticipating a quick victory over the Eighth, the SLDF deployed the Sixteenth Division from VI Corps to conquer Treeline; the deployment of the Sixteenth was deliberately provocative, as the SLDF wanted to gauge the abilities of the Republican forces. The initial landings were uncontested, with the Sixteenth quickly seizing Felsonville and with it Treeline's administration and communication hubs. The Eighth refused to surrender to the Sixteenth, and instead began a campaign of raids against the more numerous Sixteenth; while the Sixteenth had the advantage of both numbers and actual BattleMech forces - the Eighth being a regiment consisting of infantry and armor - the Eighth used their knowledge of the local terrain and their significant light armor forces to repeatedly launch quick strikes against the Sixteenth.
The Eighth's campaign extended the battle for control of Treeline signficantly beyond the SLDF's initial estimate of three weeks; it was three months before the SLDF felt that it had control of the worlds, and it was late December - a full seven months since the initial occupation of Felsonville - before the last Republican organized forces were rounded up.
During the Reunification War the Eighth Amaris Dragoons was composed of infantry and armor assets, including substantial quantities of light tanks, and lacked any BattleMechs.
- During the Reunification War the Eighth Dragoons receive a -1 penalty to all repair rolls as a consequence of the disruption caused to the logistical infrastructure of the Rim Worlds Army during the Rim Worlds Republic civil war.
- The Periphery (sourcebook), p. 24
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 132, "Persistence, Treeline, Star's End and Black Earth (May-December 2581)
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 131, "The Rim Worlds Army Loyalties"
- Technical Readout: 3075, pp. 292-293, "Ignis Infantry Support Tank"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 183, "Rim Worlds Republic"