8th Orloff Grenadiers
|Eighth Orloff Grenadiers|
|Unit Profile (as of 3145)|
|Nickname||Scourge of the Periphery|
|Parent Formation||Orloff Grenadiers|
- 1 History
- 2 Officers
- 3 Tactics
- 4 Composition History
- 5 Notes
- 6 References
- 7 Bibliography
Fourth Succession War
The Eighth spent most of the early 31st century patrolling the Free Worlds League/Periphery border. They raided worlds in the Illyrian Palantinate, Magistracy of Canopus, as well as chasing down pirates on Astrokaszy. During these conflicts the Eighth had little interest in minimizing collateral damage and developed a reputation as a brutally efficient unit.
Post Clan Invasion
In late 3054 a civil war broke out on Jiddah. The LCCC deployed the Eighth to the world as a peacekeeping force. As soon as the Eighth arrived, their reputation caused most overt hostilities to end, but it would be another two years before the planet was stable enough for the Eighth to redeploy elsewhere.
In the late 3050's the Eighth was separated into battalion sized formations and deployed on three worlds: The First Battalion was on Lesnovo, the Second Battalion was on Campoleone, while the Third Battalion garrisoned Tematagi.
By 3065 the regiment had redeployed and all three battalions were located on Lesnovo. Several business owners threatened to bar members of the Eighth from their establishments until Colonel Relph offered to relocate her unit to Tematagi. The threatened boycott never occurred, but tensions between the Grenadiers and the locals remain high.
In the earliest part of the Jihad the Third Battalion was stationed on Tematagi to defend the Nimakachi Fusion Products Limited factories on the world. Unfortunately the Order of the Faithful pirate band landed with a full regiment of troops and destroyed the Third Battalion and the Nimakachi plant completely.
When the Rim Commonality left the Free Worlds League the Eight Orloff Grenadiers were the only FWLM force stationed in the nation. They didn't oppose the vote or try to prevent the Commonality from leaving the League.
The inhabitants of Vanra were disgusted by the Eighth's willingness to engage in "frontier justice" and by the Eighth's lack of social graces. The unit drove the 2nd Regulan Hussars in 3082, but even this wasn't enough to turn public opinion in their favor. Several of the Eighth's members were involved in drunken brawls with the general public; As a result the entire unit was confined to base in 3085.
Early Dark Age
The Eighth was part of task force of three Oriente Protectorate regiments dispatched during the Victoria War. The Protectorate's Captain-General Jessica Marik, has determine while House Davion's Duchess Amanda Hasek initialed her own invasion of Capellan Confederation, she would try to secure three worlds.
In 3104 the Eighth landed on Pella II, where initially they only were met by planetary militia when they drove them from the planet's planetary capital of Theodora. Having secured the planet within weeks time. However, the Capellan's response to the invasion would come in the form of the Red Lancers and Roman's Mounted Fusilierson February 25th. The Grenadiers' aerospace forces had great difficulties holding off the Fourth Sian Defense Wing, while the bulk of the elite Capellan forces made land fall. In the ensuing battle, Pella II would be laid waste to the capital city. In fighting withdrawal from the planet, the battle had reduced the unit's BattleMech numbers by a third and forcing the 8th Orloff to abandon ninety percent of its supporting forces; the Twenty-ninth Light Recon and the Bashi-Bazook infantry regiments. After having to retreat to Shuen Wan.
However, after making planetfall, both Red Lancers and Roman's Mounted Fusiliers would arrive in hot pursuit. Barely having time to recover, the Grenadiers formed a ragged battleline in order to buy time for Oriente's officials and regiment's commanders to evacuate the planet and insure the destruction of the oriente's intelligence apparatus that was on the planet. It would be in the aftermath, that the regiment's survivors learned that the Chancellor's Heir-Apparent, Daoshen Liao had led the assault against them and why the two Capellan regiments had fought so fiercely.
Late Dark Age
The Duchy of Orloff, Orloff Military Academy, and the Eighth's battalion commanders opposed this so vehemently that the Warden-General granted a reprieve. During this time, the Eighth threw itself into rebuilding exercises and sent out a message through the Order of the Saber chapterhouses requesting troops. Several members of the Order of the Saber who were serving in other FWLM units transferred into the Eighth, and the regiment was able to build its two battalions to acceptable levels. In 3145 the Eighth's two battalions garrisoned Sophie's World and Kyeinnisan.
Though they were skilled in defensive operations, the Eighth's pirate hunting duties also provided them with extensive small-unit experience. The Eighth was also comfortable fighting in cities.
Eighth Orloff Grenadiers (Regular/Reliable)
- CO: Colonel Andracar Shikovitch
- CO: Colonel Sandra Relph
- CO/1st Battalion: Colonel Sandra Relph
- XO: Force Commander Mitchel Blucher
- 2nd Battalion: Force Commander Hannah D'Arcy
- 3rd Battalion: Force Commander David Fleischman
- Wing Commander: Commodore Maggie Jordan
- Armor Commander: Force Commander Tudor Jones
- Troop Commander: Colonel Dexter Lindsay
- A mercenary unit under long term contract to the FWL.
Eighth Orloff Grenadiers (Veteran/Reliable)
- CO: Colonel Sandra Relph
Eighth Orloff Aerospace (Wing/Veteran/Fanatical)
- CO: Commander Wes Griffin
Twenty-ninth Light Recon (Regular/Reliable)
- CO: Lieutenant Colonel Kay Arnesen
The Bashi-Bazook (Veteran/Questionable)
- CO: Lieutenant Colonel Amun Johansson
- Eighth Orloff Grenadiers (Veteran/Reliable)
Note: 29th Light Recon and Bashi-Bazook were effectively destroyed, to barely 5 percent of their fighting strength.
Eighth Orloff Grenadiers (2 Battalions/Regular/Reliable)
- CO: Colonel Jerri Shepard
Eighth Orloff Aerospace Wing (Veteran/Reliable)
- CO: Commander Joey Wagner
Thirty-third Light Recon (Regular/Fanatical)
- CO: Lieutenant Colonel Ali Compton
The Bashi-Bazook (Veteran/Fanatical)
- CO: Lieutenant Colonel Quinn Wilder
- Field Manual: Free Worlds League, p. 104, "8th Orloff Grenadiers Unit Profile"
- Field Manual: Free Worlds League, p. 114 "Deployment Table"
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 157, "8th Orloff Grenadiers"
- Jihad Hot Spots: 3070, p. 54
- Jihad Hot Spots: 3076, p. 27
- Field Report: FWLM, p. 13
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 84
- Historical: Wars of the Republic Era, p. 5-58, 60- 8th Orloff Grenadier's action during the Victoria War
- Technical Readout: 3145 Free Worlds League, p. 48
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 103
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 115, "Free Worlds League Military"
- House Marik (The Free Worlds League), p. 109, "FWL Deployment Table - 3025"
- 20 Year Update, p. 57, "FWLM Deployment Table - 3050"
- Objective Raids, p. 39, "FWLM Deployment Table - 3054"
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 162, "FWLM Deployment Table - 3067"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 92, "FWLM Deployment Table - 3085"
- Historical: Wars of the Republic Era, p. 57,60,65 - Strengths of the regiments as of 3104.