9th Fleet (SLDF)
- The Challenge With Balance in MechWarrior Online
- First BattleTech of 2018: Republic vs Free Worlds League
- MWO Benefit Tournament For MechWarrior Family That Lost Home Due To Fire
- Community Outreach - TwinkyOverlord of EmpyreaL, Current MWO Champs!
- Animated MechWarrior Series Cancelled After Being Hit With Cease and Desist
- Read more →
|Unit Profile (as of 2765)|
|Parent Formation||SLDF Naval Command|
The Ninth Fleet was assigned to the Magistracy of Canopus region of the Star League prior to the Periphery Uprising. Consisting of two reconnaissance squadrons, an interdiction squadron and a pursuit squadron, Ninth Fleet was well equipped to deal with the many smugglers, bandits, and border-jumpers who were based in the Magistracy. Homeported at Severance Station, an SLDF facility in orbit around Canopus, the Ninth Fleet is lighter than many SLDF Fleets, but makes up for it with intelligence and speed. The Ninth has one of the highest rates of pirate apprehension in the SLDF Navy.
The Ninth was due a change of commanding officer around the time the Uprising began; Admiral Francisca Nieminen was due to retire, with Vice Admiral Dmitrios Rummolo under posting orders to replace Admiral Nieminen as commander of the Ninth, but the Uprising and subsequent Amaris Civil War prevented this from happening. Instead, Nieminen would continue to command the Ninth well into her nineties; Nieminen was almost eighty years old when the Uprising began, and would serve until her flagship, the SLS Infanta, was destroyed above Terra in 2779 during Operation LIBERATION.
The Eighteenth Fleet took substantial losses to sabotage during the opening stages of the Uprising, having been dispersed widely across the Magistracy of Canopus and the Free Worlds League immediately prior to the Uprising; once the extent of the Secret Army built by Stefan Amaris became known, Admiral Rackham Jones of the Eighteenth and Admiral Nieminen linked their two Fleets together to continue combat operations.
The Ninth Fleet was comprised of four active squadrons immediately prior to the Amaris Civil War:
- 91st Reconnaissance Squadron (Toward the Horizon and Beyond)
- CO: Vice Admiral Jasper Dowding
- 92nd Reconnaissance Squadron (First Watch)
- CO: Vice Admiral Tasia Infantolino
- 93rd Pursuit Squadron (The Antares Squadron)
- CO: Vice Admiral Reagen Hoganson
- 94th Interdiction Squadron (The Smuggler's Bane)
- CO: Vice Admiral Chase Flager
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 47, "Ninth Fleet"
- Field Manual: SLDF, p. 124
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 48, "Eighteenth Fleet"