9th Marik Militia
- Community Outreach - Interview With Brent Evans, Lead BattleTech Developer At Catalyst Games
- The Challenge With Balance in MechWarrior Online
- First BattleTech of 2018: Republic vs Free Worlds League
- MWO Benefit Tournament For MechWarrior Family That Lost Home Due To Fire
- Community Outreach - TwinkyOverlord of EmpyreaL, Current MWO Champs!
- Read more →
|Ninth Marik Militia|
|Unit Profile (as of 3059)|
|Parent Formation||Marik Militia|
- 1 History
- 2 Officers
- 3 Tactics
- 4 Composition History
- 5 Notes
- 6 References
- 7 Bibliography
The Marik Militia brigade was formed in the early twenty-third century as the primary offensive and defensive brigade of the newly-formed Free Worlds League and mustered nineteen regiments in strength when the Star League Council issued the Council Edict of 2650. The Marik Militia then expanded to twenty-eight regiments in strength between 2755 and 2760 following the repeal of the Council Edict of 2650. It is unclear whether the Ninth was founded before or after 2650 as it was described in 3025 as having a three hundred year history of unbroken loyalty to House Marik but it would seem odd for the Ninth not to have been founded earlier than 2755 if the Marik Militia consisted of nineteen regiments a century before. It is possible that the Ninth was destroyed at some point during the Age of War and subsequently recommissioned in the Star League era, but no detail is available confirming this.
Like the other regiments of the brigade, the Ninth was dedicated to serving and defending the people of the League, rather than serving the Captain-General, a distinction that separated the Militia from other federal formations such as the Atrean Dragoons and Free Worlds Guards.
Star League Era
The Ninth remained a popular unit with both the commoners within the Free Worlds League and the peerage because of their public dedication to the people of the League, and like the other regiments of the Militia often acted as training grounds for troops across the League. A significant number of the personnel who would serve in other more prestigious federal units and various provincial forces within the League would actually begin their careers in the Ninth or another of the Marik Militia regiments.
The Ninth fought Wolf's Dragoons twice during the Marik Civil War, on Emris IV in 3014 together with the Sixth Marik Militia, and again in 3015 on Vanra with the Fourth Regulan Hussars. Surviving these battles contributed to the Ninth being known as one of the luckiest units in the FWLM.
Defended Hassad from Capellan forces in 3017, and captured Goodna from the same in 3019. The extreme losses from the Revolt and the following attacks on the Capellans were mitigated by the skill of the unit's Techs, who became experienced in jury-rigging replacement parts. The fact that the Senior Tech was willing to bargain with underworld sources and run elaborate scams to get the parts his unit needed helped as well.
Fourth Succession War
War of 3039
Stationed on Carbonis during the 3030s and 3040s, which it used as a launching pad for raids on every Capellan world within sixty light years, including a 3039 raid on Capella, where they fought Blandford's Grenadiers.
During Operation Guerrero, the Ninth landed on Zosma. This wasn't much of a challenge for the Ninth, however, and they quickly returned to their homeworld. The Ninth remained on Carbonis in 3067, and their time as a garrison force had reduced their combat skills.
The Ninth didn't participate in Operation Bulldog.
In 3079 the Ninth Marik Militia redeployed to the Rim Commonality to ensure that minor province's security. The Ninth split into three smaller commands, with Negushevo, Tematagi, and Tohelet each receiving a unit.
In 3085 the Ninth Marik Militia remained in the Rim Commonality. With the breakdown of the Free Worlds League, the Commonality tried to get the Ninth to join the small nation's military, but culture clashes between the prudish Commonality and free-spirited members of the Militia made that unlikely. All of the Ninth Militia's units were also gathered on Negushevo at this time.
|Commanding Officers of the 9th Marik Militia|
|Colonel||Montague Van Castille||3025|
Some parts of the brigade show better results in close quarter combat, but the rest lacks some battlefield experience.
Ninth Marik Militia (Regular/Reliable)
Ninth Marik Militia (Regiment/Regular/Reliable) 
- CO: Colonel Montague Van Castille
- The 'Mechs of the Ninth were Heavy units, while their supporting AeroSpace units averaged out to Medium.
Ninth Marik Militia (Regiment/Regular/Reliable)
- CO: Colonel Theodore Kauk
- XO: Force Commander Matthius Sunner
- 2nd Battalion: Force Commander Sebastian Lane
- 3rd Battalion: Force Commander Irvine Degang
- Wing Commander: Commodore Maja Speigel
- Armor Commander: Force Commander Tara Larssen
- Troop Commander: Alison Höcker
Ninth Marik Militia (Regular/Reliable)
- CO: Colonel Matthius Sunner
- CO: Captain Jody Porcher
Ninth Militia Armor Brigade (Regular/Reliable)
- CO: Colonel Menahem Abrahamsen
Ninth Militia Infantry Brigade (Green/Reliable)
- CO: Colonel Odd Gilbert
- Field Report 2765: FWLM, p. 10, "Marik Militia"
- House Marik (The Free Worlds League), p. 90, "Marik Militia"
- House Marik (The Free Worlds League), p. 93, "Ninth Marik Militia"
- Field Manual: Free Worlds League, p. 59, "9th Marik Militia Unit Profile"
- Historical: Brush Wars, p. 79
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 148, "9th Marik Militia"
- Field Report: FWLM, p. 13
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 88
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 92, "FWLM Deployment Table - 3085"
- 20 Year Update, p. 56, "FWLM Deployment Table - 3050"
- Objective Raids, p. 38, "FWLM Deployment Table - 3054"
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 160, "FWLM Deployment Table - 3067"
- Field Report 2765: FWLM, p. 10, "Regimental Status"
- House Marik (The Free Worlds League), p.108, "FWLM Deployment Table"
- Historical: War of 3039 , p. 140