Note: X and Y are coordinates (light years on XY plane) relative to Terra at (0, 0)
Alrakis neighbouring systems
|X:Y Coordinates||-19.90 : 81.89[e]|
- 1 Alrakis
- 2 Alrakis II
- 2.1 Planetary History
- 2.2 Political Affiliation
- 2.3 Planetary Rulers
- 2.4 Military Deployment
- 2.5 Geography
- 2.6 Planetary Locations
- 2.7 Industrial Centers
- 2.8 Local Species
- 2.9 Nearby Systems
- 2.10 References
- 2.11 Bibliography
The Alrakis system has a single class K0V primary star and three planets.
| Jump point
|Moons||5 (Cassius, Delvia, Fermosa, Weir, and Zalazar)|
|Atmospheric pressure||Standard (Breathable)|
|Highest native life||Birds|
|Ruler|| Drake H'Chu (Governor)|
Anders de Paik (Planetary Legate)
Alrakis II - more commonly referred to simply as Alrakis - is the second planet of three in the Alrakis system and has five moons named Cassius, Delvia, Fermosa, Weir and Zalazar.
The rich mineral resources on Alrakis swiftly made the world a bone of contention between the Lyran Commonwealth and Draconis Combine. The preponderance of ores in both Alrakis' mountains and its three moons triggered many raids and conflicts between the two Successor States. Though a pleasant enough world in most respects, it wasn't settled to the extent that other worlds were because of its high gravity and a fearsome native predator: the Alrakis Tigerfalcon. This avian is the size of a human male, and in addition to black-striped, fur-like feathers, a serrated beak, and four clawed feet, it was far stronger than any Terran bird of prey. During the first Star League hunting the tigerfalcon was not only a tourist attraction, but necessary for the colonization of the planet. The tigerfalcon was eventually pushed into a smaller area, allowing the colonists to expand around the metal rich mountains of the Skopje continent and the inland seas.
War of 3039
Alrakis was a target in the first wave of the Federated Commonwealth attacks on the Lyran front of the War of 3039. In mid-April, the first of two major units assigned to attack the world, the Twenty-third Arcturan Guards RCT dropped onto the planet. Landing on the 16th of April under the command of Leutnant-General Jacqueline Fincher, the intention in taking Alrakis was two-fold; firstly, it would act as a stepping stone to worlds further into the Combine interior, and secondly, it presented the opportunity for a moral victory over the Eleventh Legion of Vega, a unit personally associated with Theodore Kurita.
The decisive, aggressive drop by the Twenty-third caught the Eleventh Legion by surprise, quickly forcing them out of their barracks and onto the back foot. Even as the advance contingent of the 23rd was pushing the more numerous Legion back, a second contingent landed on the shores of Lake Carantha and seized Sigmundrac, the planetary capital. The Eleventh didn't take long to regroup; the commanding officer of the Legion, Tai-sa Esau Olivares, was well-known for his resourcefulness and determination, and had fought alongside the Kanrei during the Fourth Succession War in the fighting on Marduk. Olivares counterattacked in an attempt to gain an the initiative, forcing the Twenty-third into a bloody series of battles. Sensing that Olivares was striking from a weak position, Fincher and the Twenty-third launched their own offensive, pushing and harrying the Legion back and attempting to pin them up against the Caradhradene Mountains. On Marfick in the previous war, Olivares had personally led the rearguard action that allowed Theodore Kurita to escape; acting with the same insight, Olivares knew that to be trapped against the mountains would result in the destruction of the Legion, and he ordered a retreat to save as many of his troops as possible.
The Legion evacuated Alrakis shortly after, with the last troops leaving the world on the 24th of April; the swift prosecution of the campaign by the Twenty-third Arcturan prompted the LCAF to cancel the deployment of the second force that had been assigned to the campaign, the Fifth Donegal Guards, and the forward observers from the Fifth who had already arrived on world left on the 5th of May to rejoin the Fifth on Ryde, ready early for the next phase of the war.
The Twenty-third Arcturan Guards settled into the rhythm of garrisoning Alrakis quickly, and throughout May and June, Alrakis proved a quiet posting, with resistance on the planet consisting of little more than a few isolated sniper attacks, while the remaining militia forces appeared to be co-operative when it came to Alrakis' incorporation into the Federated Commonwealth. Concerns raised that the occupation appeared to be going too well were dismissed, which led to almost complete surprise when the DCMS counterattacked Alrakis in July. A strike force built predominantly around Olivares' Eleventh Legion of Vega and the Eighth Alshain Regulars under Tai-sa Remy Doulton had travelled back to Alrakis in secret via uninhabited worlds near Shionoha and managed to conceal their arrival in the Alrakis system thanks to a collaborator within the planetary Space Control Directorate. The defending Lyran forces had just one day's warning of the impending attack.
Despite that warning, many of the Lyran forces were caught unawares; however, much of the RCT had dispersed to enjoy a local festival when the DCMS forces began landing on the 14th of July, and many were captured by Alrakan militia forced that turned against them. The exception was in and around Sigmundrac, where the Lyran command contingent had maintained strict discipline, and an over-eager attack by the turncoat militia forces was quickly rebuffed, with firefights erupting in the city leading to many of the militia troops being captured. The insurgency managed to prevent the Twenty-third from contesting the DCMS landing, and Olivares had his combined forces lay siege to the capital city, over-ruling requests for an aggressive attack on the defending forces by Tai-sa Doulton.
Unwilling to cause the collateral damage that a direct assault, artillery strikes and aerial bombardment would cause, Olivares instead worked on a plan to neutralize the defending forces and embarrass the Lyran commanders. He had forces arranged in small squads infiltrate the city and place demolition charges at key points, and on the 23rd of July, he marched his forces close to the city and called on the Arcturan Guards to surrender; when General Fincher refused, Olivares had the charges detonated, collapsing the Lyran command headquarters into the sewers, burying many of the senior officers in rubble and cutting them off completely from their forces. The Alshain Regulars and the Legion of Vega then advanced rapidly into the city, attempting to cut the Lyran troops off from the spaceport and any chance of retreat off-world.
The senior Lyran officer after the destruction of the headquarters was Lieutenant Colonel Nadine Killson, commander of Able Battalion of the Twenty-third Arcturan Guards. Taking on the immense responsibility of co-ordinating the defense, Killson realised that the Lyran forces were in danger of being cut off and arranged her troops to try and block the DCMS attack. The result was a brutal close-quarters fight on the fringes of the spaceport; fighting against the Alshain Regulars on one front and the Legion of Vega on the other, Killson's 'Mechs were outnumbered three to one, and Killson had to use conventional forces, and the Arcturan infantry and armor made daring attacks and staged point-blank ambushes against the Combine 'Mechs, even though many of the actions would prove to be futile.
Killson held her defensive positions, losing half her forces overnight but destroying a portion of the Legion of Vega. Olivares was content to continue to press the attack, as he had reinforcements and supplies available; Killson knew that her extended position was untenable, and chose to retreat into the spaceport, fortifying it as a beachhead from which the Lyran forces could stage a counterattack if reinforced, but ceding control of Sigmundrac to the Combine. The Arcturan Guards held the spaceport until the 13th of August, launching raids and spoiling attacks while fending off probing attacks from the Combine forces; on the 13th, orders were received to retreat, and the Twenty-third Arcturan Guards boarded their DropShips and left. In the meantime, General Fincher and a number of other senior officers were dug out of the remains of the command center and would be interned to the Combine for months before eventually being repatriated.
The Dark Age
As part of the Republic of the Sphere, Alrakis was a center of heavy industrial material production, including IndustrialMechs. Due to its presence on the Lyran/Combine border, it never developed a large military industrial presence. Apparently companies didn't see the point of developing factories that could assist the enemy if captured.
The planetary capital city, Sigmundrac, was located on Skopje along the northern edge of Lake Carantha. Tarowena, a spaceport city on the southern continent of Strumm, housed the only major armaments facility on the world, Desmond Arms. Desmond Arms specialized in weaponry used by infantry forces, from knives to heavy support lasers. By this point in time the tigerfalcon had been pushed back to the two jungle laden equatorial continents of Kabast and Ronigawa. With eavy jungles and ferocious tigerfalcons, these two continents were relatively free of humans.
After the collapse of the HPG network on Gray Monday and the beginning of widespread annexation of Republic worlds Khan Dalia Bekker of the Rasalhague Dominion deployed three of the Dominion's Galaxies to secure worlds in Prefecture I, acting out of her reverence for the Republic of the Sphere. Alrakis and the nearby world of Konstance were secured by Alpha Galaxy in 3135, although Alpha only remained in place until Omega Galaxy secured Vega and departed before the formation of the Vega Protectorate.
- 2271 - Inhabited world 
- 2319 - Federation of Skye 
- 2340 - Federation of Skye 
- 2341 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2571 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2596 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2750 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2764 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2765 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2822 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 2864 - Lyran Commonwealth 
- 3025 - Draconis Combine 
- 3030 - Draconis Combine 
- 3040 - Draconis Combine 
- 3050 - Draconis Combine 
- 3052 - Draconis Combine 
- 3057 - Draconis Combine 
- 3063 - Draconis Combine 
- 3067 - Draconis Combine 
- 3075 - Draconis Combine 
- 3079 - Draconis Combine 
- 3081 - Republic of the Sphere 
- 3085 - Republic of the Sphere 
- 3130 - Republic of the Sphere 
- 3135 - Independent World 
- 3145 - Rasalhague Dominion 
- Eleventh Legion of Vega
- Eleventh Legion of Vega
- - At this point in time the 5th Sung Zhang Academy Cadre were deployed across, Kessel and Alrakis. The 5th was at 45% of full strength, with 70% of their equipment featuring upgraded technology.
Alrakis is a world rich in metal ores that are easily exploited by industrial processes. Alrakis has a number of continents including the mountainous continent Skopje, a southern continent named Strumm, and two equatorial continents named Kabast and Ronigawa, both of which were largely covered in jungle.
- Caradhradene Mountains: a mountain chain near the capital city Sigmundrac.
- Lake Carantha: an inland lake located near the capital city Sigmundrac.
- Sigmundrac: the planetary capital city, located on the northern shore of Lake Carantha on Skopje.
- Tarowena: a spaceport city located on Strumm.
| Systems within 60 light-years (distance in light years)|
Closest systems first:
|Dromini VI||15.8||Komephoros||17.4||Nai-Stohl||23.4||Kimball II||23.8|
|Baxter||32.8||Alphecca||33.4||Kaus Borealis||34.5||Lone Star||35.0|
|Dyev||48.4||Alya||48.6||Alexandria (LC)||50.9||Imbros III||51.0|
- Dark Age: Republic Worlds (3130), p. 2, "Alrakis World Profile"
- Era Report: 3145, p. 39, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. VI, "Inner Sphere - 3145"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 13, "Federation of Skye world within the Lyran Commonwealth befor  and after at their founding in "
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 28-29, "Alrakis"
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 70, p. 73, "Alrakis (July-August)"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 162, "Alpha Galaxy"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 16, "Free Worlds League Founding -  Map"
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 18, "Draconis Combine -  Map"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 25, "Lyran Commonwealth after Age of War  Map"
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 31, "Draconis Combine after Age of War -  Map"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 159, "Inner Sphere Map "
- Era Report: 2750, p. 37, "Inner Sphere - 2750"
- Field Manual: SLDF, Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 11, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 36, "Lyran Commonwealth after First Succession War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 43, "Draconis Combine after First Succession War -  Map"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2, p. 122-123, "Inner Sphere -  Maü"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 40, "Lyran Commonwealth after Second Succession War -  Map"
- House Kurita (The Draconis Combine), "Draconis Combine Map - "
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 64, "Draconis Combine after Third Succession War -  Map"
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth), "Lyran Commonwealth -  Map"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 47, "Lyran Commonwealth after Third Succession War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 66, "Draconis Combine after Fourth Succession War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 56, "Lyran Commonwealth after Fourth Succession War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 68, "Draconis Combine after War of 3039 -  Map"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 59, "Lyran Commonwealth after War of 3039 -  Map"
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 133, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 11, "Inner Sphere Map "
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 71, "Draconis Combine after Operation REVIVAL -  Map"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 61, "Lyran Commonwealth after Clan Invasion -  Map"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 23, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 3062, p. 11, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 3062, p. 29, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 74, "Draconis Combine after FedCom Civil War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 69, "Lyran Alliance after FedCom Civil War -  Map"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 41, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 65, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Report: DCMS, p. 21, "Draconis Combine Mustered Soldiery Deployment Map - [August 3079]"
- Field Report: LAAF, p. 19, "Lyran Commonwealth Deployment Map - [August 3079]"
- Field Report: Clans, p. 29, "Terran Corridor Deployment Map - [August 3079]"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 63, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 127, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- Era Report: 3145, p. 11, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 139, "Deployment Table"
- 20 Year Update, p. 40, "Draconis Combine Deployment Table"
- Field Report: DCMS, p. 14, "Sun Zhang Regimental Status"
- 20 Year Update
- Dark Age: Republic Worlds (3130)
- Era Report: 2750
- Era Report: 3052
- Era Report: 3062
- Era Report: 3145
- Field Manual: 3085
- Field Manual: 3145
- Field Manual: SLDF
- Field Report: DCMS
- Field Report: LAAF
- Field Report: Clans
- Handbook: House Kurita
- Handbook: House Marik
- Handbook: House Steiner
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2
- Historical: Reunification War
- Historical: War of 3039
- House Kurita (The Draconis Combine)
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth)
- Jihad: Final Reckoning
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130