|Mass||125 to 135 (depending of the version) tons|
|Speed||est 28 km/h|
The Ares represents a series of 'Mechs that are built to exceed the 100-ton mark. The Ares uses a unique tripodal chassis to support the 'Mechs weight bridging the gap between the biped 'Mechs and the quad 'Mechs. The Ares has its roots in the Rhodes Project and was first fielded sometime after 3132. Although the manufacturer of the 'Mech remains unknown intelligence has pointed to an Ares factory being located on the world of Kaus Australis in Prefecture I of the Republic of the Sphere. This intelligence, as well as the potential of the Ares was strong enough to provoke both the Lyran Commonwealth and Clan Nova Cat to raid the location in search of this factory.
While there has been a great deal of hype surrounding each version of the Ares 'Mechs, they have roughly the same amount of weapons as can be loaded onto a 100 ton chassis and are outgunned by some Assault 'Mechs dating from the 3060s. One unique aspect of these 'Mechs is that they are manned with three personnel.
As part of an experimental project, only a few selected MechWarriors can operate this 'Mech. It is also notable that, as a secret project, most of those MechWarriors are the research scientist's children or family and some also received training since their very childhood.
Each of the versions of the Ares carry a variable loadout that have a similar base chassis mirroring the way in which OmniMechs work. It is unknown if the Ares is an actual OmniMech or if a similar base chassis was used in the construction of each to simplify the construction of the 'Mech.
At the base level each of the Ares carries on each leg a pair of Anti-Personnel Pods, an ER Small Laser and an SRM 2 launcher. On the 'Mechs torso each version of the Ares has a pair of ER Medium Lasers and a pair of LRM 5 launchers, giving the Ares series of 'Mechs a well rounded base platform to start with.
- ARS-VA - One example sighted named Zeus. This variant of the Ares is armed with a pair of ER PPCs and 3 SRM 6 launchers which allow the 'Mech to engage an enemy at long range, opening holes in a targets armor and is capable of seeking chinks in damaged sections.
- ARS-VB - One example sighted named Hera. Built for close combat, the Hera is armed with a Heavy Gauss Rifle as its primary weapon. This is backed up by a trio of Extended Range Medium Lasers, making it a deadly 'Mech in medium to short range engagements.
- ARS-VC - One example sighted named Hades. Configured in an all around setup, the Hades relies on the base LRMs for long range firepower and supplements it with an Ultra Autocannon/10. This is backed up at shorter ranges with a TSEMP as well as a pair of MRM 20 launchers.
- ARS-VD - One example sighted named Poseidon. A recent variant of the Ares series, the Poseidon carries two ER PPCs, one TSEMP, and an MRM 20 launcher. This allows the Poseidon to engage an enemy at a variety of ranges and resembles a mix of the Zeus and Hades variants. This more recent version shows a marked improvement in speed and repairability, resulting from the experiment's progress.
- Created for the Wizkids "MechWarrior Age of Destruction" battlepacks, these designs are a progress in the game evolution.
- The Ares and its variants were described on the WizKids website, which is no longer available.