Note: X and Y are coordinates (light years on XY plane) relative to Terra at (0, 0)
Athenry neighboring systems
|X:Y Coordinates||17.56 : 30.97[e]|
The Athenry system is located near the Pike IV and Styx systems and consists of a class F8IV primary orbited by two planets, the innermost of which has been inhabited for an extended period of time.
The Athenry system was settled during the First Exodus from Terra although the date on which the system was first settled is uncertain and may be as early as the fourth quarter of the twenty-second century.
| Jump point
|Moons||4 (Batha, Illusa, Kylos, Zule)|
|Atmospheric pressure||High (Breathable)|
|Highest native life||Birds|
|Ruler|| Franklin Yamaguchi (Governor)|
Taro Winters (Planetary Legate)
Athenry was one of the worlds abandoned by the Terran Alliance following the Outer Reaches Rebellion and the Demarcation Declaration of 2242, but by the end of the Reunification War Athenry had become one of the worlds within the Lone Star Province of the Terran Hegemony.
Most of the plants and animals on Athenry have medicinal value, and this led to the foundation of the Athenry Institute of Medicine during the Star League-era, but the Institute wouldn't survive the Succession Wars; the Institute was destroyed by a nuclear strike during the First Succession War. After the Jihad colonists found the ruins of the Institute and uncovered them. They also uncovered ruins from an earlier time, but no one knows who created the ruins under the ruins of the Institute. These ruins, the "City of the Lost", have become a popular tourist attraction.
In 2681, a small quantity of germanium ore was discovered on planet, spurring a highly valued mining industry. Airships were being employed to convey the ore from ocean platforms due to the corrosive high-sulfur content of the water.
By the early Succession Wars, the local concerns would end up pressuring the Draconis Combine's government to station a company of BattleMechs and an infantry regiment of troops on planet. However the frequency of the raids by now hated House Davion forces and lack of reinforcements over the years, led the government to a brief declare independence in early 2802. Athenry being a vital source of water during the Succession Wars, caused the Combine to dispatch the Fourth Sword of Light to the planet to end the rebellion. The planetary government was forced to commit to a seppuku ceremony, to redeem their honor lost in their betrayal to the Draconis Combine. By the last decade of the 30th Century, Athenry's germanium ore deposits would end up being mined out and its importance interstellar-wise would decline only having singular raid for the valuable ore in 2999.
In 3039 Athenry was a world covered in oceans, with many archipelagos. During the War of 3039 two regiments of the Blue Star Irregulars landed on the world. The garrison units surrendered quickly and the Lyran Commonwealth Armed Forces appointed a military governor. The Blue Star Irregulars then began to build a rapport with the local citizens by not acting like the stereotypical mercenary unit depicted by the Voice of the Dragon. The DCMS counterattack landed several months later, and consisted of the Twelfth Dieron Regulars and Twenty-seventh Dieron Regulars. The DCMS units had a rough landing, with the Irregulars AeroSpace assets heavily damaging two DropShips and forcing an Excalibur-class DropShip to ditch in the Hoboken Sea. The DCMS units were equipped with submarine and hydrofoils, and used these speedy assets to strike at Irregulars bases across the planet. The Irregulars were eventually pushed back into a small area of the world, and the Regulars began a siege. This siege lasted for three months, but the Irregulars couldn't remain in place without inflicting heavy civilian casualties. To avoid this, the Irregulars arranged a truce with the Dieron Regulars and left the world to the Dragon.
By 3050, Athenry's government had devised a new means to bring revenue to its depleted coffers. Number of its fleet of airships were converted into luxury tourist aircruise liners. These ships would draw tourists to Athenry throughout the Dieron Prefecture to less expensive vacation cruises, helping to bolster the planet's sagging industries.
- 2271 - Inhabited World 
- 2319 - Inhabited world 
- 2341 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2571 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2596 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2750 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2764 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2765 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2771 - Amaris Empire 
- 2775 - Terran Hegemony (from January)
- 2822 - Draconis Combine 
- 2864 - Draconis Combine 
- 3025 - Draconis Combine 
- 3030 - Draconis Combine 
- 3040 - Draconis Combine 
- 3050 - Draconis Combine 
- 3052 - Draconis Combine 
- 3057 - Draconis Combine 
- 3063 - Draconis Combine 
- 3067 - Draconis Combine 
- 3075 - Word of Blake Protectorate 
- 3079 - Word of Blake Protectorate 
- 3081 - Republic of the Sphere 
- 3085 - Republic of the Sphere 
- 3130 - Republic of the Sphere 
- 3135 - Independent World 
- 3145 - Draconis Combine 
The bulk of the landmass on Athenry lies in the four large island chains dotted among the vast oceans; each island chain has a number of active volcanoes, contributing to the oppressive atmosphere of the planet. Most of the island chains consist of steep, rocky mountains and tropical foliage the planet is too warm and too close to the system primary for polar ice caps to form.
The four island chains of Athenry are named the Espalar Chain, Larsen Chain, Wandessa Chain and Zubeckis Chain. The largest island in the Espalar Chain is Lisbon and the largest island in the Larsen Chain is Golas. Of the four island chains the Wandessa Chain is located in the equatorial regions of Athenry, while the Zubeckis Chain in the southern hemisphere and the Espalar Chain lies in the southern polar regions. The Larsen Chain lies in the northern hemisphere.
- Athenry Institute of medicine: a research institute located on Golas until the institute was destroyed with a nuclear strike during the Succession Wars.
- City of the Lost: primary ruins from the first planetary colonization attempt, located on Vasquez, the second largest island in the Zubeckis Chain.
- New Senna: planetary capital city, located in the mountains of Lisbon.
- Ricobar: a seaport city and the largest settlement in the equitorial Wandessa Chain.
- Dark Age: Republic Worlds (3130), p. 26, "Athenry World Profile"
- Era Report: 3145, p. 39, "Inner Sphere Map - "
- Field Manual: 3145, p. VI, "Inner Sphere - 3145"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 16, "Free Worlds League Founding "
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 159, "Inner Sphere - 2596"
- Technical Readout: Vehicle Annex Revised, p.104 Dawn Treader Cargo Airship - Vehicle fluff briefly gives history of Athenry which is not covered in other source books.
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 34
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 79
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 80
- Technical Readout: Vehicle Annex Revised, p.104 Dawn Treader Cargo Airship - later years on Atherny prior to Clan Invasion to 3067, Tourism becomes the new planetary industry.
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 18, "Draconis Combine Founding" - 2319
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 13, "Lyran Commonwealth Founding "
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 25, "Lyran Commonwealth after Age of War "
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 31, "Draconis Combine after Age of War - 2571"
- Era Report: 2750, p. 37, "Inner Sphere - 2750"
- Field Manual: SLDF, Inner Sphere - 
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 11, "Inner Sphere - 2765"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 138, "Operation LIBERATION Wave 1 [July 2772 - December 2774]"
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 43, "Draconis Combine after First Succession War - 2822"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 36, "Lyran Commonwealth after First Succession War "
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2, p. 122-123, "Inner Sphere - 2822"
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 53, "Draconis Combine after Second Succession War - 2864"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 40, "Lyran Commonwealth after Second Succession War "
- House Kurita (The Draconis Combine), "Draconis Combine Map - "
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 64, "Draconis Combine after Third Succession War - 3025"
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth), Lyran Commonwealth Map 
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 47, "Lyran Commonwealth after Third Succession War  Map"
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 66, "Draconis Combine after Fourth Succession War - 3030"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 56, "Lyran Commonwealth after Fourth Succession War  Map"
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 133, "Inner Sphere - 3040"
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 68, "Draconis Combine after War of 3039 - 3040"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 59, "Lyran Commonwealth after War of 3039  Map"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 11, "Inner Sphere - 3050"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 23, "Inner Sphere - 3052"
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 71, "Draconis Combine after Operation REVIVAL - 3052"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 61, "Lyran Commonwealth after Clan Invasion  Map"
- Era Report: 3062, p. 11, "Inner Sphere - 3057"
- Era Report: 3062, p. 29, "Inner Sphere - 3063"
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 74, "Draconis Combine after FedCom Civil War - 3067"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 70, "Lyran Commonwealth after FedCom Civil War  Map"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 42, "Inner Sphere Map - [October 3067]
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 65, "Inner Sphere "
- Field Report: DCMS, p. 21, "Draconis Combine Mustered Soldiery Deployment Map - August 3079"
- Field Report: LAAF, p. 19, "Lyran Alliance Deployment Table "
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 63, "Inner Sphere Map - [March 3081]"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 127, "Inner Sphere Map - [October 3085]"
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- Era Report: 3145, p. 11, "Inner Sphere Map - "
- Technical Readout: Vehicle Annex, p. 94 Dawn Treader Cargo Air Ship - Fluff indicates its not completely a paradise, high-sulfur is noted.
- Technical Readout: Vehicle Annex Revised, p.104 Dawn Treader Cargo Airship - New source indicates the planet does indeed have sulfur in its ocean waters.
- Dark Age: Republic Worlds (3130)
- Era Report: 2750
- Era Report: 3052
- Era Report: 3062
- Era Report: 3145
- Field Manual: 3085
- Field Manual: 3145
- Field Manual: SLDF
- Field Report: DCMS
- Field Report: LAAF
- Handbook: House Kurita
- Handbook: House Marik
- Handbook: House Steiner
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2
- Historical: Reunification War
- Historical: War of 3039
- House Kurita (The Draconis Combine)
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth)
- Jihad: Final Reckoning
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130