(References to Athenry)
Athenry neighbouring systems
Note: X and Y are coordinates (light years on XY plane) relative to Terra at (0, 0)
| Jump point
|Moons||4 (Batha, Illusa, Kylos, Zule)|
|Atmospheric pressure||High (Breathable)|
|Highest native life||Birds|
|Ruler|| Franklin Yamaguchi (Governor)|
Taro Winters (Planetary Legate)
- 2271 - Independent World 
- 2341 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2571 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2596 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2750 - Terran Hegemony 
- 2765 - Terran Hegemony 
- 3025 - Draconis Combine 
- 3030 - Draconis Combine 
- 3040 - Draconis Combine 
- 3050 - Draconis Combine 
- 3052 - Draconis Combine 
- 3057 - Draconis Combine 
- 3062 - Draconis Combine 
- 3063 - Draconis Combine 
- 3075 - Word of Blake Protectorate 
- 3079 - Republic of the Sphere 
- 3081 - Republic of the Sphere 
- 3085 - Republic of the Sphere 
- 3130 - Republic of the Sphere 
- 3135 - Independent World 
- 3145 - Draconis Combine 
A relatively young world, Athenry is covered by active volcanoes and tropical plant life. The thick atmosphere allows these plants to flourish. Most of the human colonists live on high mountain peaks where the air is thinner and cooler, if only by a few degrees. Athenry is too close to its star for ice caps to form, so most of the water is free-flowing and frequently rains for the lush tropical plains below the mountains. It also was noted for its heavy seas and high sulfur content of its waters.
Athenry was one of the worlds abandoned by the Terran Alliance following the Outer Reaches Rebellion and the Demarcation Declaration of 2242, but by the end of the Reunification War Athenry had become one of the worlds within the Lone Star Province of the Terran Hegemony.
Most of the plants and animals on Athenry have medicinal value, and this led to the foundation of the Athenry Institute of Medicine during the Star League-era, but the Institute wouldn't survive the Succession Wars; the Institute was destroyed by a nuclear strike during the First Succession War. After the Jihad colonists found the ruins of the Institute and uncovered them. They also uncovered ruins from an earlier time, but no one knows who created the ruins under the ruins of the Institute. These ruins, the "City of the Lost", have become a popular tourist attraction.
In 2681, a small quantity of germanium ore is discovered on planet, spurring a highly valued mining industry. Airships would end up being employed to convey the ore from ocean platforms due to the corrosive high-sulfure content of the water.
By the early Succession Wars, the local concerns would end up pressuring the Draconis Combine's government to station a company of BattleMechs and infantry regiment of troops on planet. However the frequency of the raids by now hated House Davion forces and lack of reinforcements over the years, would lead the government to a brief declare independence in early 2802. Athenry being a vital source of water during the Succession Wars, caused the Combine to dispatch the 4th Sword of Light to planet to end the rebellion. The planetary government would forced to commit to a seppuku ceremony, to redeem their honor lost in their betrayal to the Draconis Combine. By the last decade of the 30th Century, Athenry's germanium ore deposits would end up being mined out and its importance interstellar-wise would decline only having singular raid for the valuable ore in 2999.
In 3039 Athenry was a world covered in oceans, with many archipelagos. During the War of 3039 two regiments of the Blue Star Irregulars landed on the world. The garrison units surrendered quickly and the Lyran Commonwealth Armed Forces appointed a military governor. The Blue Star Irregulars then began to build a rapport with the local citizens by not acting like the stereotypical mercenary unit depicted by the Voice of the Dragon. The DCMS counterattack landed several months later, and consisted of the 12th Dieron Regulars and 27th Dieron Regulars. The DCMS units had a rough landing, with the Irregulars AeroSpace assets heavily damaging two DropShips and forcing an Excalibur-class DropShip to ditch in the Hoboken Sea. The DCMS units were equipped with submarine and hydrofoils, and used these speedy assets to strike at Irregular's bases across the planet. The Irregulars were eventually pushed back into a small area of the world, and the Regulars began a siege. This siege lasted for three months, but the Irregulars couldn't remain in place without inflicting heavy civilian casualties. To avoid this, the Irregulars arranged a truce with the Dieron Regulars and left the world to the Dragon.
By 3050, Athenry's government had devised new means to bring revenue to its depleted coffers. Number of its fleet of airship would end up being converted into luxury tourist aircruise liners. These ships would draw tourists to Athenry throughout the Dieron Prefecture to less expensive vacation cruises, helping to bolster the planet's sagging industries.
- Dark Age: Republic Worlds (3130), p. 26, "Athenry World Profile"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 16, "Free Worlds League Founding "
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 13, "Lyran Commonwealth Founding "
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 25, "Lyran Commonwealth after Age of War "
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 159, "Inner Sphere - 2596"
- Era Report: 2750, p. 37, "Inner Sphere - 2750"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 11, "Inner Sphere - 2765"
- House Kurita (The Draconis Combine), "Draconis Combine Map - "
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 133, "Inner Sphere - 3040"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 11, "Inner Sphere Map "
- Era Report: 3052, p. 11 & 23, "Inner Sphere - 3050 & 3052 - Atherny shown as part of Dieron Military Distract of the Draconis Combine between 3050-3052.
- Era Report: 3062, p. 11 & 23, "Inner Sphere - 3057 - Atherny shown as part of Dieron Military Distract of the Draconis Combine in 3057.
- Era Report: 3062, p. 23, "Inner Sphere - 3063 - Atherny shown as part of Dieron Military Distract of the Draconis Combine still up to 3063.
- Era Report: 3062, p. 29, "Inner Sphere Map "
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 65, "Inner Sphere Map "
- Field Report: DCMS, p. 21, "DCMS Deployment Table "
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 63, "Inner Sphere Map - [March 3081]"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 127, "Inner Sphere Map - [October 3085]"
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- Era Report: 3145, p. 11, "Inner Sphere Map - "
- Era Report: 3145, p. 39, "Inner Sphere Map - "
- Technical Readout: Vehicle Annex, p. 94 Dawn Treader Cargo Air Ship - Fluff indicates its not completely a paradise, high-sulfur is noted.
- Technical Readout: Vehicle Annex Revised, p.104 Dawn Treader Cargo Airship - New source indicades the planet does indeed have sulfur in its ocean waters.
- Technical Readout: Vehicle Annex Revised, p.104 Dawn Treader Cargo Airship - Vehicle fluff briefly gives history of Athenry which isn't covered in other source books.
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 34
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 79
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 80
- Technical Readout: Vehicle Annex Revised, p.104 Dawn Treader Cargo Airship - later years on Atherny prior to Clan Invasion to 3067, Tourism becomes the new planetary industry.
- Dark Age: Republic Worlds (3130)
- Era Report: 2750
- Era Report: 3052
- Era Report: 3062
- Era Report: 3145
- Field Manual: 3085
- Field Report: DCMS
- Handbook: House Marik
- Handbook: House Steiner
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1
- Historical: Reunification War
- Historical: War of 3039
- Jihad: Final Reckoning
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130