|Type||Ballistic (Direct Fire)|
|Tech Base||Inner Sphere|
|Year Availability||2500 (LC)|
|Ammo Per Ton||5|
|Ammo Cost (per ton)||10,000|
|BV (2.0)|| 178|
The Autocannon is a direct-fire ballistic weapon, firing HEAP (High-Explosive Armor-Piercing) rounds at targets either singly or in bursts.
Different manufacturers and models of autocannons have different calibers (25mm-203mm) and rates of fire. Due to this, autocannons are grouped into generic "classes" of autocannons with common damage ratings, with Autocannon/20s doing massive damage while having very short range.
An example of the rating system: the Crusher Super Heavy Cannon is a 150mm weapon firing ten shells per "round" while the Chemjet Gun is a 185mm weapon firing much slower, and causing higher damage per shell. Despite their differences, both are classified as Autocannon/20s due to their damage output.
A standard AC/20 can fire multiple types of ammunition, most of which were developed by the Federated Commonwealth in order to make their large supply of standard autocannon more useful in the age of Ultra and LB-X autocannon.
The Autocannon/20 is manufactured on the following planets:
- Caseless Autocannon/20: A smaller and lighter version of the Autocannon/20 specifically designed to use caseless ammunition, giving it three times the ammunition capacity per given mass, along with a size and weight profile just slightly larger than the Autocannon/10. However, it has one critical design flaw that led to it being phased out in favor of a more modern variant of Caseless munitions; though these newer munitions are not as lightweight as their counterparts, they can be used with a simple modification to existing Autocannons and are far less prone to explosions in the event of a weapon jam.
- Improved Heavy Gauss Rifle and RISC Hyper Laser: Two other weapons which easily do enough damage to kill the average mech in just one hit, if the shot is aimed right, as they each do at least 20 points of damage.
- The Autocannon-20 has been used in various video games, each with their own stats for the weapon; below is a list of the games that use it along with a link to each version's stats:
- TechManual, pp. 207-208, "Autocannons"
- TechManual, p. 317, "Inner Sphere Weapons and Equipment BV Table"
- TechManual, p. 208, "Autocannon Munitions"