Battle of Beckvern Hill
- Catalyst Releases New Map Pack, New Fiction From Michael Stackpole In March Update
- Did You Know? - Retro BattleTech Games - MechWarrior 2: The Clans
- Catalyst Games Releases Succession Wars Record Sheets And Reprinted BattleTech Manual To Get Everyone Up To Date
- Did You Know? - Retro BattleTech Games - MechWarrior
- Forever Faithful, Blaine Lee Pardoe’s Latest BattleTech Novel, Now Available For Pre-Order
- Read more →
|Battle of Beckvern Hill|
|Part of The Age of War|
|Commanders and leaders|
|Unknown||Archon Michael Steiner|
|Sword of Light Regiment||Unknown|
In July 2475 a major earthquake hit Tharkad City, destroying the majority of its government buildings, gave the Draconis Combine the incentive to try to capture Nox. The planet became the site of the first full-scale BattleMech verses BattleMech engagement, occurring at Battle of Beckvern Hill. Archon Michael Steiner's Company of 'Mechs and supporting heavy tanks moved against an equal number of Kuritan 'Mechs from a Sword of Light Regiment. In the three hour battle against the notoriously tenacious DCMS, the Archon's troops fought their way into the Sword of Light's rear areas. They then fanned out into lance-sized units to cause as much damage as possible to the enemy's supplies and communications. Michael Steiner's Command Lance fought its way to the enemy's Regimental HQ, killing the command staff before being killed-in-action himself by Combine reinforcements.
Though this Kuritan attack was neither successful nor strategically significant, it marked a major turning point in armed warfare. The few confrontations in military history that can compare to its significance include the Monitor verses the Merrimack engagement in March 1862 and the first use of tanks at the Battle of Flers-Courcelette in 1916.
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth), p. 24