- This article is about the early Lyran Commonwealth BattleMech. For other uses, see Ymir (disambiguation).
|Manufacturer||Coventry Defense Conglomerate,|
Osaka Heavy Metrics
|Mass||90 tons[[Category:90 ton BattleMechs]]|
|Armor||CDC Combat Alloy 4X|
|Engine||Coventry Motors 360|
|Communications System||CDC Triplex 14|
The Ymir was the Lyran Commonwealth's first homegrown BattleMech. The first primitive machines, then known as the Bipedal Weapons Platform, saw action in 2462. The primitive components produced an inferior machine to the Mackie that the Ymir was supposed to replace. The Coventry Defense Conglomerate struggled along until more advanced components enabled them to increase the 'Mech's top speed to 64 km/h and protect it with ten and a half tons of armor. Coventry eventually produced upgraded versions of the Ymir in 2475 (-2B) and 2478 (-2E). These variants of the Ymir remained in production well into the Star League era, halting in 2648.
During the chaos of the Jihad, as demands for war materiel of any kind increased, modern manufacturers began to retool production lines to produce what became known as RetroTech designs. These designs included BattleMechs like the Ymir, based on the Primitive Technology of the Age of War. One such company was Osaka Heavy Metrics, a Draconis Combine IndustrialMech manufacturer, who converted their existing lines to produce the Ymir amongst other RetroTech designs from their factories on Togura and Philadelphia. Production of the Ymir would continue until the Jihad wound down, at which point the manufacturing lines were retooled for other work.
Weapons and Equipment
The advanced materials allowed engineers to improve upon the prototype Ymir's weaponry as well. At long range, the assault 'Mech can call upon an Arcturan Arms Longarm Series Autocannon/5 and two CDC Single-Five LRM-5 launchers. As it gets closer to an enemy, the Ymir can add an Accufire Optics Large Laser. At close range, four Coventry B4 SRM-2 launchers and an Accufire Mini Small Laser can exploit any holes the larger guns made in an enemy's armor.
- An "upgunned" version of the 2B , the 2E replaced the LRMs with a single LRM-10 and the SRMs with one SRM-6. The Small Laser was replaced with an extra half-ton of armor. The Large Laser and autocannon were swapped out for two PPCs. Because they did not upgrade the heat dissipation system along with the weapons, MechWarriors had to use volley fire, leading to displeasure with the design. BV (2.0)= 1,393
- The 3A is an upgrade of the 2E Ymir using Star League technology and was developed in 2733. It downgraded the PPCs to standard Large Lasers even as double heat sinks were used. An Artemis IV Fire Control System was added to each missile launcher. The remaining tonnage went towards a Medium Laser and additional armor. BV (2.0)= 1,491
- Technical Readout: 3075, pp. 280-281, "BWP-2B Ymir"
- Era Digest: Age of War, p. 11
- MUL online entry for the Ymir
- Record Sheets: 3075 Unabridged - Age of War, p. 198
- MUL online entry for the Ymir BWP-2E variant
- Technical Readout: 3085 Supplemental, p. 34, "SKU-197 Sokuryou SurveyMech"
- Record Sheets: 3075 Unabridged, p. 263
- Record Sheets: 3075 Unabridged - Age of War, p. 199
- MUL online entry for the Ymir BWP-3A variant
- Record Sheets: 3075 Unabridged, p. 264
- Record Sheets: 3075 Unabridged - Age of War, p. 200
- Record Sheets: 3075 Unabridged, p. 262