Black Eagle (DropShip class)
|Manufacturer||Mikoyan Aerospace Consortium|
|Tech Base||Inner Sphere (Primitive)|
|Safe Thrust||4 g|
|Max Thrust||6 g|
|Fuel (tons)||250 tons|
|Fuel (days)||1.84 days|
|Armament|| 8x LRM 20s |
9x Large Lasers
12x Medium Lasers
|Armor||55 tons Primitive Armor|
|Crew|| Crew Listings
|Escape Pods/Life Boats||1/8|
|Heat Sinks||156 Standard|
Originally designed as an armored vehicle carrier for the Terran Hegemony, the Black Eagle was the answer to the HAF's need for a larger BattleMech carrier. Previous designs had been simple conversions of civilian cargo haulers with limited carrying capacities and defenses. However, the Black Eagle solved many of the logistic problems of deploying these early BattleMechs, such as the Mackie, quickly into battle. Rearranging its cargo decks, Mikoyan Aerospace Consortium was able to create enough space for a company worth of the Hegemony's newest war machines.
Initially assigned to the HAF's assault companies, these ships would be used in the initial stages of an invasion to secure a beachhead for attacking Hegemony units. The ship would thus become the Hegemony's principle assault BattleMech carrier, which in turn would become highly successful in its mission. Later designs of DropShips, such as the Lion and later the Union, would be patterned after it.
Armament & Capacities
Well armed for its time, the ship's weaponry is mostly evenly spread out its weapon arcs. Black Eagle's Front & Front Right/Left arcs are armed with pair of 20-tubed Long-Range Missile Launchers with pair of Large Lasers. Its aft-sides missile weaponry is reduced to a single LRM-20, its close range weaponry is increased. Its Laser Bay consists of single Large Laser and four Medium Lasers. Covering its aft, is same singler Weapons Bay with Large Laser/4 Medium Laser arrangement. The ship carries 24 tons of ammunition for its LRM-20 launchers.
Black Eagle's is designed to carry 12 BattleMechs, deployed from 2 doors. It also has 520 ton cargo capacity for spare parts and supplies, also accessed with door doors.
The design was built using what would later be considered Primitive Technology, thus its armor and other components would be outclassed by later designs.
- Original design
- When originally built, the Black Eagle was a armored combat vehicle carrier. The ship featured 3 Cargo Decks, with enough room for Battalion of Light Combat Vehicles or Company of Heavies.
- As of this writing, there is no assigned Battle Value listed for the Ship. Nor are there any stats/record sheets for the original version of the Black Eagle.
- The original image for the Black Eagle originally used for Pentagon-Class DropShip. The image was re-used for Black Eagle as part of a cost saving measure used for units devised for the Experimental Technical Readout series of PDFs.
- Experimental Technical Readout: Primitives, Volume 2, pp. 15 & 33 "Black Hawk Ship Profile"
- MUL online date for the Black Eagle (DropShip class)
- Master Unit List's Profile of Black Eagle DropShip