Buccaneer (DropShip class)
- Devlin Stone's Origins Revealed
- BattleTech Is Coming In April!
- Blaine Lee Pardoe Provides Fascinating Look At “Twilight Of The Clans” Origins
- Year of Battle Armor: Unit 1 - Corona Heavy Battle Armor
- Community Outreach - Interview With Brent Evans, Lead BattleTech Developer At Catalyst Games
- Read more →
|Manufacturer||Brigadier Corporation, Dynamico Limited, Semier Data Tron|
|Tech Base||Inner Sphere|
|Drive System||Magna Corp. VX250B|
|Safe Thrust||1.5 g|
|Max Thrust||2.5 g|
|Fuel (tons)||160 tons|
|Fuel (days)||56.7 days|
|Armament|| 1 x Large Laser |
1 x LRM-5
6 x Medium Lasers
|Armor|| 13 tons standard |
|Escape Pods/Life Boats||2/0|
First produced in 2708, the Buccaneer was originally conceived as a replacement for the aging Lion Class, but failed to secure a contract with the SLDF as a BattleMech transport when the superior Union Class appeared. The design was modified into a cargo carrier, proving extremely popular due to its fuel-efficient aerodyne structure, landing gear suitable for even unpaved terrain, and fast (by civilian standards) unloading and deployment speeds. The crew accommodations also contribute, with spacious single occupancy rooms and excellent mess and recreation facilities. While not as efficient as the larger Mule Class, its versatility and profitability have ensured that the Buccaneer is an extremely common design.
The Buccaneer's armament and armor is light for a military vessel, contributing to its loss against the Union Class, but are more than suitable for a merchant craft. The design features a single Large Laser and LRM-5 with 1 ton of ammunition in the nose, backed up by two forward facing Medium Lasers on each wing, with a further two facing aft in the body.
The Buccaneer is capable of carrying 2,300 tons in its three cargo holds, with two main bays running the length of the craft capable of storing 1,000 tons each and directly accessible by large cargo doors on either side of the ship, with a third 300 ton bay split into multiple decks located above the transit drive.
A popular and common design in the Inner Sphere, the Buccaneer has numerous variants. Some split each main cargo bay in two, allowing the craft to carry 38 light combat vehicles, though the Buccaneer lacks suitable crew quarters. The most common variant among mercenaries, the Draconis Combine and Federated Suns reduces the Buccaneer's cargo capacity by 30 tons in exchange for adding six tons of armor, a PPC and LRM-10 to the nose, a Large Laser on each wing, and two extra tons of LRM ammunition. This modification allows the Buccaneer increased defense when used in hostile landing zones.
- Buccaneer Rezak (a.k.a. Red Raider)
- Used by Vance Rezak, this heavily armed Buccaneer carries five ER Large Lasers, two ER PPCs, and two LRM-15s in the nose. Each wing carries three ER Large Lasers and two Gauss Rifles. Covering the aft arc is a trio of ER Medium Lasers and a Streak SRM-6. The cargo bay can carry 1,509 tons of cargo.
- MUL online date for the Buccaneer (DropShip class)
- AeroTech 2 Record Sheets, p. 220
- Historical Turning Points: Antallos, p. 20