|Manufacturer||Clan Smoke Jaguar Unknown facility|
One of the best first generation ProtoMechs, the Centaur combines high speed, decent armor, and a varied weapons mix. These features make it a flexible combatant, able to keep up with scout 'Mechs while supporting them.
The SRM and LRM missile launchers provide much of the striking power of the Centaur. Then it uses the ER Micro Laser to finish off opponents who have been damaged by the missile racks. The only drawback to the Centaur's weaponry is the lack of reloads for the missile systems. With only 20% of a standard SRM-2's ammunition capacity, and only eight reloads for the LRM rack, a Centaur pilot can rapidly deplete his ammunition stocks.
- Centaur 2 - Developed during the 3060s, this variant utilizes then newly developed Heavy Laser technology. With minor armor reduction, the ProtoMech is armed with a SRM 2 Launcher in torso. As its Main Gun, its holds a Heavy Small Laser. BV (2.0) = 154
- Centaur 3 - This second variant, also developed during the 3060s, drops all weapons and a considerable amount of armor for a single ER Medium Laser. BV (2.0) = 238
- Centaur 4 - A Jihad era variant, this various of the design employs MASC. This allows the ProtoMech to achieve 120 km/h for brief bursts. BV (2.0) = 228
- Centaur Z - Developed by The Society this version uses an ER Micro Laser and LRM-4. It's also equipped with a Magnetic Clamp system so it can move around the battlefield more efficiently.
- ↑ Technical Readout: 3060, p. 199
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Technical Readout: 3060, p. 199
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged, p. 298
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged, p. 299 - Civil War era variant of the Centaur.
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged, p. 300 - ER Medium Laser variant of the Centaur.
- ↑ Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged, p. 301
- ↑ The Wars of Reaving Supplemental, p. 40