Centurion (Aerospace Fighter class)
|Manufacturer|| Jalastar Aerospace|
|Tech Base||Inner Sphere|
|Power Plant||Pitban 240 Fusion Engine|
3 x Medium Lasers
|Communications System||Lockheed/CBM Comset86b|
|Tracking & Targeting System||Rander TA2|
Developing a crash aerospace fighter program after being impressed by the examples produced by the Terran Hegemony, the Federated Suns opted to focus on the twin goals of speed and survivability over firepower. Though primitive when first introduced, the Centurion was well received, equally able to fight in space and atmosphere. Switching to seven an half tons of BattleMech-grade armor, a 240 rated Fusion Engine, and increased fuel storage only enhanced the design and ensured its continued production for centuries.
However, despite the noted role it played in the early history of Davion aerospace fighters, the Centurion fell from grace when the Federated Suns acquired various production lines for the Sparrowhawk during the First Succession War. The Star League Defense Force fighter's more advanced electronics and ability to fly while damaged side-lined the older fighter, which was quickly shifted to militia forces. Jalastar eventually traded the specifications to the aging fighter to Lockheed/CBM in return for those of the Sabre before closing the original production line in 3000, the now modernized Centurion only produced on Donegal in the Lyran Commonwealth.
Weapons and Equipment
Helping to create the mold from which many light aerospace fighters are based, the Centurion features a simple but effective weapons array consisting of three Maxell Medium Lasers, one mounted in the nose and one under each wing.
- Quickly developed by Lockheed/CBM during the maelstrom of the Jihad, the 3S is a redesign that turns the Centurion into dedicated ground-support fighter. The wing mounted lasers were replaced by ER Medium Lasers while the nose laser was dropped for a TAG system, advanced construction components used to boost speed and armor levels. BV (2.0) = 822
- The Centurion was introduced in AeroTech (1st edition), but lacked model number, release date, or any description beyond its game stats. It was finally given a detailed description in line with that of other aerospace fighters in Technical Readout: 3075.
- MUL online date for the CNT-1D Centurion (Aerospace Fighter class)
- Combat Operations, p. 137
- Technical Readout: 3075, p. 230, "CNT-1D Centurion
- AeroTech 2 Record Sheets, p. 36
- Technical Readout: 3075, pp. 230-231, "Centurion Fighter Profile"
- Record Sheets: 3075 Unabridged - Age of War, p. 132
- Record Sheets: 3075 Unabridged - Age of War, p. 131
- Record Sheets: 3075 Unabridged - Age of War, p. 133
- Record Sheets: 3075 Unabridged - Age of War, p. 134