Note: X and Y are coordinates (light years on XY plane) relative to Terra at (0, 0)
Charleston neighboring systems
|X:Y Coordinates||409.65 : -389.51[e]|
The Charleston system was home to at least one habitable world or construct and as at 3145 was an independent system located in the Periphery close to the borders of the Calderon Protectorate and the June Operational Area of the Periphery March of the Federated Suns.
The Charleston system was either colonized at some point after the Third Succession War or was an already-inhabited system that became significant enough during this period to be noted on maps by Inner Sphere nations.
- 2571 - No record 
- 2596 - No record 
- 2750 - No record 
- 2764 - No record 
- 2765 - No record 
- 2767 - No record 
- 2786 - No record 
- 2822 - No record 
- 2830 - No record 
- 2864 - No record 
- 3025 - No record 
- 3030 - No record 
- 3040 - Taurian Concordat 
- 3050 - Taurian Concordat 
- 3052 - Taurian Concordat 
- 3057 - Taurian Concordat 
- 3058 - Taurian Concordat 
- 3059 - Taurian Concordat 
- 3063 - Taurian Concordat 
- 3067 - Taurian Concordat 
- 3075 - Taurian Concordat 
- 3079 - Taurian Concordat 
- 3081 - Taurian Concordat 
- 3085 - Taurian Concordat 
- 3130 - Independent world 
- 3135 - Independent world 
- 3145 - Independent world 
FedCom Civil War
In August 3067 the Tortuga Fusiliers raided Charleston; the pirates from the Tortuga Dominions raided Charleston at least once a year, but the 3067 raid which hit Sawyer on the 12th of August was poorly timed, as the planetary militia had mustered in preparation for the annual Founder's Day celebrations. Cities on Charleston were built to be small and vertical, a consequence of the local terrain on the southern continent, which featured vast plains with only a few bedrock extrusions suitable for anchoring heavy foundations, and most of the population lived in skyscrapers linked by skyways fifteen meters above the ground, allowing the population to move between buildings comfortably during the torrential rain that periodically fell across the city. This meant that the switch from plains to urban terrain was sharp, and had forced the Fusiliers to land at the local spaceport several kilometers from Sawyer itself.
The planetary government building located in the Square at the heart of Sawyer had originally been a heavily fortified building, in common with such buildings throughout the Concordat, but since the withdrawal of the Taurian Defense Force garrison in the aftermath of the formation of the Calderon Protectorate, the planetary government had expanded on the government building's defenses. Several turrets had been added to the building, incorporating the heavy weapons available on Charleston at the small time and the small number of additional weapons that could be purchased from the factories on Sterope; the government had also demolished buildings around the government building to create a kill zone, and installed a number of Sniper Artillery Pieces within the fabric of the building, mounted on hydraulic platforms that allowed them to be elevated and fired as direct-fire cannon in addition to firing them as regular artillery pieces. The Fusilier raiding party consisted predominantly of infantry and Scorpion light tanks, with some 'Mech support in the form of a battered and damaged Phoenix Hawk; the planetary militia lacked any 'Mechs, but the government building represented a significant, heavily-armored bastion that the Fusiliers had great difficulty engaging, whilst the militia's infantry elements were able to engage the Fusilier infantry and call in artillery support. The militia artillery inflicted heavy damage on the pirates, including hitting the Phoenix Hawk at least once; as the Fusiliers began to retreat, a Taurian infantryman named David Talbot managed to kill the Tortugan MechWarrior, whose cockpit armor had been breached by the combination of an artillery strike and missiles fired by the militia infantry. The surviving Fusilier forces abandoned the raid, leaving the damaged Phoenix Hawk for the militia to salvage.
On the 23rd of May 3072 forces from the Calderon Protectorate raided a number of Taurian Concordat worlds, including Charleston. The war between the Taurian Concordat and Federated Suns officially ended on the 2nd of July 3080 in the aftermath of Operation MATADOR, but the fortunes of the Concordat continued to decline. Many worlds, lacking confidence in the Concordat's central government, seceded from the Concordat; Tyrrhenia was the first of the Concordat worlds to do so, leaving the Concordat even before the Jihad had begun, along with the world of Hellespont soon after. Between mid-3079 and late 3085 six more worlds seceded: Argos, Carthage, Carvajal, Celano, Micros III and Mirfak, and Governor Brenna Sieben of Charleston was debating declaring Charleston independent as well.
- Governor Brenna Sieben
- Adelaide: a city on the coast of Charleston's southern continent, near a region known as the Straits.
- Sawyer: the planetary capital city, located on Charleston's southern continent.
| Systems within 60 light-years (distance in light years)|
Closest systems first:
|Badlands||37.3||Pirates Haven||42.5||San Carlos||45.5||Carvajal||47.0|
|Lorkdal||47.2||Fiery Plains||52.9||Althea's Choice||57.5|
- Era Report: 3145, p. 39, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. VI, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: Major Periphery States, p, 121, "Taurian Concordat after Age of War , Fall of the Star League  and End of the 3rd Succession War "
- Era Report: 2750, p. 37, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- The Periphery (Sourcebook), p. 151, "Maps of the Periphery"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 76, "Federated Suns after War of 3039 - "
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 48, "Federated Suns after Age of War -  Map"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 159, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Manual: SLDF, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 11, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Report 2765: Periphery, p. 37, "Taurian Defense Forces Deployment Map -  Map"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 96, "Taurian Concordat -  Map"
- First Succession War, p. 24-25, "Inner Sphere - "
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2, p. 122-123, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 54, "Federated Suns after First Succession War -  Map"
- First Succession War, p. 112-113, "Inner Sphere - 2822"
- Second Succession War, p. 18-19, "Inner Sphere - 2830"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 60, "Federated Suns after Second Succession War -  Map"
- Second Succession War, p. 78-79, "Inner Sphere - 2864"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 70, "Federated Suns After Third Succession War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 72, "Federated Suns after Fourth Succession War -  Map"
- Handbook: Major Periphery States, p, 127, "Taurian Concordat after modern colonization drive  and after FedCom Civil War "
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 133, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 11, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 23, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 3062, p. 11, Inner Sphere -  Map
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 78, "Federated Suns after Operation Guerrero -  Map"
- The Periphery, 2nd Edition, p. 111, "Taurian Concordat and Tortuga Dominions"
- Era Report: 3062, p. 29, Inner Sphere -  Map
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 43, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 82, "Federated Suns after FedCom Civil War -  Map"
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 63, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Report: Periphery, p. 23, "Taurian Concordat Deployment Map - [August 3079]"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 63, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. vii, "Inner Sphere - October 3085"
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- Era Report: 3145, p. 11, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- On The Square
- Jihad Hot Spots: 3076, p. 22, "Timeline of the Jihad"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 50, "The Jihad In Review"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 131, "Taurian Concordat"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 150, "Deployment Table - 3085"
- Era Report: 2750
- Era Report: 3052
- Era Report: 3062
- Era Report: 3145
- Field Manual: 3085
- Field Manual: 3145
- Field Manual: SLDF
- Field Report: Periphery
- Field Report 2765: Periphery
- First Succession War
- Handbook: House Davion
- Handbook: Major Periphery States
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2
- Historical: War of 3039
- Jihad: Final Reckoning
- Jihad Hot Spots: 3076
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- On the Square
- The Periphery, First Edition
- The Periphery, Second Edition
- Second Succession War