|Unit Profile (as of 3028)|
|Parent Formation||St. Ives Armored Cavalry|
|5th Capellan Chargers|
|Unit Profile (as of 3145)|
|Parent Formation||Capellan Chargers|
- 1 Unit Description and Origin
- 2 History
- 3 Officers
- 4 Tactics
- 5 Unit Emblem
- 6 Composition History
- 7 Notes
- 8 References
- 9 Bibliography
Unit Description and Origin
Cochraine’s Goliaths were originally formed in 2805 as the 5th Capellan Chargers but were destroyed in the assault on Chesterton in 2812. They remained on the rolls of the CCAF for 150 years until reformed as Cochraine’s Goliaths with Goliath ‘Mechs liberated from a long-lost Star League Repair Depot.
The unit saw action prior to the Fourth Succession War only a single time because Chancellor Maximilian Liao did not want to commit the rare Goliath-filled force unless absolutely necessary.  They were destroyed during the Fourth Succession War.
The regiment was reformed sometime between 3134 and 3144 as one of the Hidden Lion regiments. They were an assault regiment made up of fresh academy graduates by 3145. The Fifth Capellan Chargers were a front-line regiment of the Capella Commonality.
First Succession War
During the First Succession War the then 5th Capellan Chargers participated in a multi-regimental task force attempting to retake the former Liao world of Chesterton in 2812. The unit landed unopposed but was attacked by the defending 3rd & 5th Crucis Lancers regiments with support by Belinda's Irregulars. The battle was a complete disaster for House Liao and the unit was considered destroyed.
Third Succession War
In 2990 Colonel Fiona Cochraine took command of the newly reactivated unit which was re-equipped with 'Mechs found in a Star League repair depot on Tantara. Through this long-lost depot, found under an arctic ice shelf, the unit gained the Confederation's only allotment of Goliath BattleMechs.
In 3005 the unit finally saw action in defense of Indicass against elements of the Ceti Hussars. There the Goliaths destroyed two companies of Davion Wolverine and Ostroc 'Mechs, causing the Hussars to retreat.
Fourth Succession War
At the outbreak of the 4th Succession War, the unit was the target of a planetary assault while garrisoning St. Andre on August 20th, 3028. The attacking Davion Light Guards were scattered because of heavy Aerospace fighter cover and their 2nd Battalion was unable to land.
The Goliaths pushed the Light Guards' 1st Battalion out of position by forcing the mixed light and medium ‘Mechs to stay away from their longer-ranged weapons. The command company of the Goliaths was attacked from the rear by a reinforced (double-sized) company of Light Guard 'Mechs. Delta Company, led by Captain Andrew Redburn, hot-dropped behind the Goliaths' lines and attacked the larger 'Mechs from the rear.
The Goliaths, armed with primarily long-range weapons, were unable to fight back effectively when the lighter 'Mechs closed to within short-range. Colonel Cochraine was killed when Captain Redburn resorted to a Death from Above attack while two lances worth of his troops concentrated fire on the stubborn Assault 'Mech.
The Goliaths fell into disarray and the Guards' 1st Battalion pushed into the battle line leading to the destruction of Cochraine’s Goliaths.
The Fifth Capellan Chargers was reformed sometime during Operation GREAT FLOOD as one of the Hidden Lion regiments resurrected by Chancellor Daoshen Liao using stockpiled equipment. They received nearly all the assault BattleMechs allotted for the Capellan Chargers brigade and has thus become one of the heaviest regiments in the CCAF. The new Capellan Chargers used the Augmented Regiment formations commonly found in the CCAF by 3145. They were a front-line regiment of the Capella Commonality.
Operation CELESTIAL REWARD
The unit commander was Colonel Fiona Yare Cochraine.
The regiment has no stated specialized abilities.
A stylized castle on a white field.
The outline of a man standing astride a flaming sun.
- 1st Battalion – CO: Major Amira Keng
5th Capellan Chargers (Regular/Reliable)(65% Strength)
- CO: Sang-shao Chunfu Novoselec
3rd Capellan Gryphons (Green/Reliable)(75% Strength)
- CO: Kong-zhong-shao Mai Ho Hui
2nd Armored Charioteers (Regular/Reliable)(80% Strength)
- CO: Zhong-shao Garlen Lepine
Gamma Phalanx (Green/Questionable)(80% Strength)
- CO: Zhong-shao Wai Ho Tang
- The unit had an "A" Equipment Rating. They had numerous assault 'Mechs, Assassins and Firebees. They were an Augmented Regiment.
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation, p. 47, “Proffered Hand”
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation, p. 90, “Cochrain’s Goliaths, History”
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 34, "Fifth Capellan Chargers"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 28, "THE NEW OLD-FASHIONED WAY"
- Warrior: Riposte, pp. 240-241 - "Captain Redburn receives reports of fighting on St. Andre prior to dropping".
- Warrior: Riposte, pp. 244-245 - "Colonel Cochraine's Goliath is attacked and finally killed by Delta Company".
- Warrior: Riposte, pp. 253-254, "First Prince Hanse Davion receives after-action report of Delta Company's attack on Cochraine's Goliaths".
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 27, "General Review"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 44, "Capellan Confederation Deployment Table - 3145"
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation), p. 105
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 29, "Sian Commonality"