Davion I (WarShip class)
- Community Outreach - Interview With Brent Evans, Lead BattleTech Developer At Catalyst Games
- The Challenge With Balance in MechWarrior Online
- First BattleTech of 2018: Republic vs Free Worlds League
- MWO Benefit Tournament For MechWarrior Family That Lost Home Due To Fire
- Community Outreach - TwinkyOverlord of EmpyreaL, Current MWO Champs!
- Read more →
|Tech Base||Star League|
|Sail Diameter||1.120 m|
|Safe Thrust||2 g|
|Top Thrust||3 g|
|KF Drive Integrity||11|
|Armament|| 4 x NAC/25s |
3 x NAC/35s
2 x Light NPPCs
24 x NL45s
8 x Large Lasers
2 x Small Lasers
4 x LRM-20s
6 x SRM-6s
|Armor||571.5 tons of Standard|
|Grav Decks||2 x 65 meter diameter|
|Escape Pods/Life Boats||0/10|
|Heat Sinks||2,550 Heat Sinks|
The black sheep of the Federated Suns Navy, the Block I Davion-class destroyer was a complete debacle. For the heavy destroyer’s intended, independent missions, Davions mounted too little armor and poor firepower. Cost overruns and production delays proved devastating to the Federated Suns naval budget. The first Block I Davion slipped its mooring 10 years behind schedule.
Block I Davions that survived the Federated Suns Civil War were relegated to Periphery patrols and escort duty, until they were sold to the Star League. However, rather than start from scratch and produce the originally intended destroyer, Prince Alexander Davion had the class upgraded. The Block II Davion-class launched in 2552, a significant change which resulted in a very capable vessel.
Block I Davions in Star League service which survived the subsequent Reunification War were eventually upgraded, becoming the prototypes for the Whirlwind-class destroyer. While all of the Davion I class WarShips had been retired from active service with the AFFS, there were rumors in the 2760s that the navy would reactivate some mothballed Davion Is as a part of the rapid rearmament program, which would have resulted in both classes of ship potentially operating alongside each other.
Ironically, the Davion-class does mount reasonable armor, and is maneuverable. In fact, the weapon systems are also very reasonable. The problem with the Davion-class is that the design is short-sighted, squandering space and mounting unnecessary systems. The vessels mounts no aft-left or aft-right defense, has startlingly few life boats, and no escape pods.
Because the class was not a total wreck, the Block I was upgradeable, and newer Block II Davions were easily constructed with only slight modifications to their parent shipyards.
Davion-class destroyers are failures as both WarShips and as transport vessels. The class possesses no DropShip collars, and its two bays are only able to manage 2 AeroSpace Fighters and ~70.5 thousand tons of cargo.
- Star League Defense Force
- Clan Burrock/Society/Bandit Caste
- Whirlwind-class destroyer – shortly before the Reunification War, Prince Alexander Davion decided to lease (and later, sell) Block I Davion-class destroyers to the Star League Defense Forces. These vessels were stripped, rearmed, and redesignated Whirlwind-class by the Star League Navy.
- MUL online date for the Davion I (WarShip class)
- Technical Readout: 3057 Revised, p. 204, "Davion (Destroyer)"
- Field Report: Federated Suns 2765, p. 6, "Naval Defense Doctrine"