Note: X and Y are coordinates (light years on XY plane) relative to Terra at (0, 0)
Erod's Escape neighbouring systems
|X:Y Coordinates||483.258 : -501.806[e]|
|Recharge time||181 hours|
- 1 Erod's Escape
- 2 Erod's Escape V
- 2.1 Planetary History
- 2.2 Political Affiliation
- 2.3 Planetary Rulers
- 2.4 Military Deployment
- 2.5 Geography
- 2.6 Planetary Locations
- 2.7 Industrial Centers
- 2.8 Nearby Systems
- 2.9 References
- 2.10 Bibliography
The Erod's Escape system is located near the Fylovar and Marknick systems and consists of a class G0V primary orbited by at least five planets. During the thirty-first century a recharge station was in place at the system zenith jump point.
The Erod's Escape system was either settled by the Taurian Concordat during the thirty-first century, or was an already-inhabited system that became significant enough during this era for Inner Sphere nations to begin recording its location on maps.
Erod's Escape V
| Jump point
|Moons||3 (Maui, Kauai and Molokai)|
|Atmospheric pressure||Standard (Breathable)|
|Equatorial temperature||43C° (Tropical)|
|Highest native life||Birds|
|Reference Year||3067 - 3076 - 3079|
|Ruler||Baron Cham Kithrong, as president of the Regency Council for Erik Martens-Calderon|
|Capital|| Shangri-La (3067)|
New Taurus (3076)
|Population|| 17,250,000 (3067)|
Erod's Escape V - more commonly known simply as Erod's Escape - is the fifth planet in the system and has three moons named Maui, Kauai and Molokai. Erod's Escape has been the capital of the Calderon Protectorate since the Protectorate declared independence from the Taurian Concordat.
The planet of Erod's Escape is named for Jacob Erod, the wealthy Taurian noble who first discovered and colonized the world at the onset of the clandestine colonization campaign conducted by the Far Lookers during the rule of Thomas Calderon. Jacob Erod ran a popular company that produced terraforming equipment such as water purification equipment, and settled Erod's Escape in secret using corporate employees and Far Looker volunteers. However, despite having funded the establishment of the colonies on Erod's Escape, Jacob Erod never had the chance to see the colony he'd built; he was traveling to the world to settle himself when he suffered a massive stroke and died after the final jump. Erod's will dictated that the settlers on Erod's Escape should govern themselves in a democratic system as they saw fit, which promptly led to a brief but bitter civil war after his death as different factions on the world argued over different rules and methods of government.
The civil war fought in the wake of Jacob Erod's death stalled the industrialization and exploitation of Erod's Escape and its satellites. The two major factions were divided over whether or not to stay out of the active resistance against the rule of Thomas Calderon, with one faction arguing that the industry present on Erod's Escape should be militarized to support the resistance while the other faction wished to remain outside any such entanglements.
Violence between the two factions escalated until it reached a point where the mining industry vital to the system had been destroyed and the technicians associated with it had left the system. The war finally ended when the faction favoring neutrality effectively shut down all of the planet's major industries, making them useless to the pro-resistance movement. With the civil war over, the population of Erod's Escape were determined not to make their world a vulnerable target, and so kept the planet's industrial base deliberately under-developed despite the vast resources available.
When Baron Cham Kithrong led several worlds from the Taurian Concordat into forming the Calderon Protectorate in 3066, Erod's Escape became the capital world by default. Within a year, Shangri-La was growing steadily with new buildings being added to the city and the population expanding steadily as it slowly transformed into a center of interstellar government. The mayor of Shangri-La was a close friend of Baron Kithrong, a legacy of Kithrong's time on garrison duty with VI Corps on the planet, and the mayor was rumored to be one of the names in consideration to join the Regency Council of the Protectorate. Shangri-La was also the site of the Residency for the Protector-in-waiting, Erik Martens-Calderon, and the home of the Shangri-La Tigers basketball team.
By 3075 the planetary capital had shifted to the city of New Taurus, site of the only spaceport on the planet and the site of considerable expansion. In fact, with Calderon loyalists traveling to Erod's Escape in droves from the Concordat, all of the cities on Erod's Escape were undergoing rapid, wide-scale expansion using prefabricated and modular buildings to construct residential, commercial and military districts and the previous food surplus produced for trade was instead being used to feed the burgeoning population. While the modular construction units used for expanding the cities and settlements were not particularly pleasing, they had allowed for smoothed over the spikes in demand for housing, and had been sourced from friendly sources on Hellespont until the Concordat War of Vengeance against the Federated Suns caused the supply to dry up.
The largest of the new modular cities was a military cantonment located near the southern ridge of Elysium, a facility whose design and true extent were closely guarded secrets at the time. With supplies from the Concordat drying up, sources within the Magistracy of Canopus and various other independent and neutral groups had stepped up to supply Erod's Escape and the rest of the Protectorate with essential supplies. The abundant stretches of unoccupied land on the planet made it easy for the population to expand, and the untapped but abundant ore deposits promised to yield huge dividends if the right equipment and planners were brought in.
The Dark Age
After the turn of the thirty-second century diplomatic efforts by the rulers of the Calderon Protectorate resulted in the construction of a new military production facility on Erod's Escape, with that construction being supervised by technical advisors from the Republic of the Sphere and the Federated Suns. The Protectorate Military Industries plant would go on to produce the lion's share of the Combat Vehicles that would serve the Protectorate's military forces, while also producing a large proportion of the Protectorate's BattleMechs.
- 2571 - No record 
- 2596 - No record 
- 2750 - No record 
- 2764 - No record 
- 2765 - No record 
- 2786 - No record 
- 2822 - No record 
- 2830 - No record 
- 2864 - No record 
- 3025 - No record 
- 3040 - Taurian Concordat 
- 3050 - Taurian Concordat 
- 3052 - Taurian Concordat 
- 3057 - Taurian Concordat 
- 3059 - Taurian Concordat 
- 3063 - Taurian Concordat 
- 3066 - Calderon Protectorate 
- 3067 - Calderon Protectorate 
- 3075 - Calderon Protectorate 
- 3079 - Calderon Protectorate 
- 3081 - Calderon Protectorate 
- 3085 - Calderon Protectorate 
- 3130 - Calderon Protectorate 
- 3135 - Calderon Protectorate 
- 3145 - Calderon Protectorate 
- First Taurian Pride
- First Taurian Pride
Erod's Escape is a lush, fertile world; the northern landmasses are rich with fertile soil, while the jungles of the southern hemisphere are thick and verdant. The three southern landmasses - Majorca, Oahu and Tenerife - are largely jungle and feature abundant avian and insect life.
- New Hope Military Academy
- New Taurus: the planetary capital city during the Jihad.
- Shangri-La: the original planetary capital city prior to and after the Jihad. In addition to being the largest continent on the planet, the northwest continent of Elysium is the site of the original capital city, Shangri-La, located at the confluence of the Lethe, the Naruda and the Wellspring, three major rivers. The coasts of Elysium are ringed with bluffs and mountains, natural defenses that make the area easy to defend and to harvest resources from. The terrain in the interior features sporadic woods and rolling hills inside the thick mountain ridge.
| Systems within 60 light-years (distance in light years)|
Closest systems first:
- Handbook: Major Periphery States, p. 130, "Planet Profile"
- Masters and Minions: The StarCorps Dossiers, p. 190, "Taurian Concordat Key Worlds"
- Objectives: Periphery, p. 14, "Erod's Escape"
- Era Report: 3145, p. 39, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. VI, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: Major Periphery States, p, 121, "Taurian Concordat after Age of War , Fall of the Star League  and End of the 3rd Succession War "
- The Periphery (Sourcebook), p. 151, "Maps of the Periphery"
- Handbook: Major Periphery States, p, 127, "Taurian Concordat after modern colonization drive  and after FedCom Civil War "
- Handbook: Major Periphery States, p. 128, "Exile Nation: Government and Politics"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 185, "Calderon Protectorate"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 188, "Calderon Protectorate"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 159, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 2750, p. 37, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Manual: SLDF, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 11, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Report 2765: Periphery, p. 37, "Taurian Defense Forces Deployment Map -  Map"
- First Succession War, p. 24-25, "Inner Sphere - "
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2, p. 122-123, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- First Succession War, p. 112-113, "Inner Sphere - 2822"
- Second Succession War, p. 18-19, "Inner Sphere - 2830"
- Second Succession War, p. 78-79, "Inner Sphere - 2864"
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 133, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 11, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 23, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 3062, p. 11, Inner Sphere -  Map
- The Periphery, 2nd Edition, p. 111, "Taurian Concordat and Tortuga Dominions"
- Era Report: 3062, p. 29, Inner Sphere -  Map
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 43, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 63, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Report: Periphery, p. 23, "Taurian Concordat Deployment Map - [August 3079]"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 63, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. vii, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- Era Report: 3145, p. 11, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Report: Periphery, p. 13, "Calderon Protectorate Regimental Status"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 151, "Deployment Table - 3085"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 202, "Calderon Protectorate"
- Objectives: Periphery, p. 14
- Era Report: 2750
- Era Report: 3052
- Era Report: 3062
- Era Report: 3145
- Field Manual: 3085
- Field Manual: 3145
- Field Manual: SLDF
- Field Report: Periphery
- Field Report 2765: Periphery
- First Succession War
- Handbook: Major Periphery States
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2
- Historical: Reunification War
- Historical: War of 3039
- Jihad: Final Reckoning
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents'
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- Masters and Minions: The StarCorps Dossiers
- Objectives: Periphery
- The Periphery, First Edition
- The Periphery, Second Edition
- Second Succession War