|Manufacturer||Gibson Federated BattleMechs, Krupp Armament Works|
|Chassis||Crucis-ES Endo Steel|
|Engine||Hermes 240 XL|
The Grand Crusader was commissioned by Word of Blake Precentor Martial Trent Arian after he had assumed command of the Word of Blake Militia in 3052. The 'Mech is named for a passage in one of the works of Jerome Blake that states "those who fight to preserve technology and knowledge are the grandest crusaders of all". In spite of this, the name can cause confusion as some assume from the name that the 'Mech is an upgraded version of the venerable Crusader BattleMech. The Grand Crusader is built to maximize its available space for weapons and equipment by using a weight saving Crucis-ES Endo Steel chassis and a lightweight Hermes 240 XL engine that propels the Grand Crusader to a top speed of 54.0 km/h. The Grand Crusader is protected by fifteen and a half tons of armor and, to handle the 'Mech's heat burden, the Grand Crusader carries ten double heat sinks.
Weapons and Equipment
The Grand Crusader is well-armed to engage an enemy at medium to long ranges. The primary long-range weapons carried by the Grand Crusader are a pair of Holly LRM-20 launchers with an Artemis IV fire control system for greater missile accuracy. For medium range combat, the Grand Crusader has two Tronel PPL-20 Large Pulse Lasers and, for close range combat, the 'Mech has two Intek Medium Pulse Lasers. For added protection against missile attacks, the Grand Crusader carries an LFN Lindblad Shotgun Anti-Missile System.
- By removing half a ton of armor, the Medium Pulse Lasers, and the Anti-Missile System, the 02 variant of the Grand Crusader has been modified to act as a dedicated long-range fire support 'Mech by adding two LRM-5 launchers, also linked to the Artemis IV Fire Control System for greater missile accuracy. BV (1.0) = 1,211, BV (2.0) = 1,702
- The 03 variant is a complete upgrade of the Grand Crusader, meant to bring it more in line with modern military hardware. The 'Mech is still built on an Endo Steel chassis, but now carries a much larger 320 light fusion engine to give it a top speed of 64.8 km/h and a much greater amount of reliability than the XL engine carried by earlier models. The 03 variant also carries triple strength myomer to increase its ground speed to 86.4 km/h as long as it is running hot. The 'Mech has four jump jets to further increase its mobility. The 03 variant carries fifteen tons of armor protection and is armed with two ER Large Lasers as its primary weapons, backed up by an LRM-15 launcher with an Artemis IV fire control system. For close combat, the 'Mech has three ER Medium Lasers and a Streak SRM-6 missile launcher. The 'Mech also carries an improved C3 computer, allowing it to share targeting data with friendly units. BV (1.0) = 1,761, BV (2.0) = 2,276
- This is a completely remodeled variant of the 'Mech. Dubbed the Grand Crusader II, the armor profile radically changed the 'Mech’s appearance. It was built using the same engine, triple strength myomer, and a CurtissJet 80 jump jet combination as the 03 variant. The 04 variant of the Grand Crusader is built exclusively as a sniper 'Mech. The 'Mech's primary weapon is a Light Gauss Rifle that is effective at extreme ranges. This is backed up by an ER PPC that is capable of adding its firepower at long range. For close combat, the 'Mech has two ER Medium Lasers and a Streak SRM-6 missile launcher. The 'Mech also carries an improved C3 unit to allow it to share targeting data with friendly units. BV (1.0) = 1,828, BV (2.0) = 2,292
- MUL online date for the Grand Crusader
- Combat Operations, p. 134
- Record Sheets: 3055 Upgrades Unabridged, p. 165
- Record Sheets: 3055 Upgrades Unabridged, p. 166
- Record Sheets: 3055 Upgrades Unabridged, p. 167
- Record Sheets: 3055 Upgrades Unabridged, p. 168