- Devlin Stone's Origins Revealed
- BattleTech Is Coming In April!
- Blaine Lee Pardoe Provides Fascinating Look At “Twilight Of The Clans” Origins
- Year of Battle Armor: Unit 1 - Corona Heavy Battle Armor
- Community Outreach - Interview With Brent Evans, Lead BattleTech Developer At Catalyst Games
- Read more →
|Unit Profile (as of 3081)|
|Parent Formation||Silver Hawk Irregulars|
- 1 History
- 2 Officers
- 3 Tactics
- 4 Composition History
- 5 Notes
- 6 References
- 7 Bibliography
The Gryphons were, for many years, the most poorly trained and equipped force in the FWLM. The LCAF regularly pounded them into the dirt and the Gryphons were often the butt of jokes. This changed when Martha Zuritas took command of the unit in 3025. She instituted a harsh training program and demanded her troops do better. They responded to the challenge.
Fourth Succession War
During this time, the Gryphons conducted several raids into the Lyran Commonwealth to prevent the LCAF from taking advantage of the confusion. In fact, the raids on Cor Caroli and Alioth during the War of 3039 contributed to that front's collapse.
The AFFC returned the favor in 3047 when Harlock's Warriors raided the Kali Yama Weapons plant on Kalidasa. The Gryphons and Warriors fought several engagements, but the Gryphons were unable to prevent several AFFC special forces teams from raiding the plant and escaping with several new FWLM 'Mech designs.
The Gryphons didn't participate in Operation Guerrero.
The Gryphons didn't participate in Operation Bulldog.
After the Jihad ended, the Gryphons continued to follow the command of generals appointed by the Marik Commonwealth. However, this is more due to the fact that the Commonwealth has promised to support the Silver Hawk Irregular's goal of re-taking several Protectorate systems that fell under the control of the Republic of the Sphere after the Jihad ended. Until that happens the Grypons continue to rebuild on Alkes and Kalidasa with output from Commonwealth factories. Despite the expansion of the Republic of the Sphere after the Republic Formation Treaty the Gryphons continued to stay on Kalidasa until at least late 3081.
Republic Invasion and Destruction
After the formation of the Republic of the Sphere, the Silver Hawk Coalition launched ambitious bit to invasion of New Hope in order to restore the Coalition. However, the invasion and conquest would trigger a large invasion of the exFree Worlds League. Named Operation Golden Dawn, the military operation would be launched in April 3rd 3081. Over the course of six months, the Coalition's gains would be lost along with Gryphons's destruction at hands of Republic troops. By September, all fragement nation-states of the League, save the Silver Hawk Coalition would sign a permanent peace treaty with Republic. New Hope along with other worlds would become part of the Republic of the Sphere, while any attempt to reform the Gryphons and its sister unit Falcons would be seen as act of war.
The Gryphons would remain destroyed during the Dark Age, however the Silver Hawks Irregular's brigade would be restored by Marik-Stewart Commonwealth Anton Marik. He would fund the restoration of a single regiment under the unit's hollow name. However, the Gryphons name itself would remain inactive as Irregular came back into servide in 3137.
The Gryphons used their brute force of heavy 'Mechs to pin down the enemy. Since the 3047 AFFC raid, the Gryphons have also implemented several training programs to counter special forces and conventional infantry attacks.
- CO: Colonel Martha Zuritas
- CO: Colonel Toni McIver
- CO/1st Battalion: Colonel Petra Fisher
- XO: Force Commander Lydia Kerai
- 2nd Battalion: Force Commander Kirk Amin
- 3rd Battalion: Force Commander Alan Falbehansen
- Wing Commander: Commodore Gurra Lin
Kalidasa Guard (1 Regiment/Veteran/Reliable)
- Armor Commander: Force Commander John Cheng
292nd League Regulars (Regiment/Regular/Reliable)
- Troop Commander: Lt. Colonel Frances O'Meara
- The 292nd is a jump infantry regiment.
The Gryphons were at about two-thirds their pre-Civil War strength.
- Field Manual: Free Worlds League, p. 90, "Gryphons Unit Profile"
- Rhonda's Irregulars (scenario pack), p. 41
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 155
- Field Report: FWLM, p. 8
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 91, "The Marik Commonwealth"
- Field Manual: 3145, p 108 - Silverhawk Irregulars/Atrean Dragoons/Protectorate Guards "Later source book spells out the Silver Hawks were destroyed and why they were not reformed until later.
- Field Manual: 3085,pp. 16-17 Operation Golden Dawn - "details of Operation Gold Dawn and Silver Hawk irregular's overall fate in process.
- Field Manual: 3145, p 108 - Silverhawk Irregulars/Atrean Dragoons/Protectorate Guards "Silver Hawk Irregulars restored, but not Gryphons.
- House Marik (The Free Worlds League), p. 108, "FWL Deployment Table"
- 20 Year Update, p. 57, "FWLM Deployment Table"
- Historical: War of 3039 , p. 140
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 161