- Let’s Talk About MechWarrior: Dark Age
- The ‘Mechs That Time Forgot: Quad ‘Mechs
- Catalyst Releases New Map Pack, New Fiction From Michael Stackpole In March Update
- Did You Know? - Retro BattleTech Games - MechWarrior 2: The Clans
- Catalyst Games Releases Succession Wars Record Sheets And Reprinted BattleTech Manual To Get Everyone Up To Date
- Read more →
|Mech type||Inner Sphere BattleMech|
|Chassis||StarFrame Heavy Endo Steel|
|Engine||PlasmaStar 375 XL|
|Communications System||Garret T-60 FastScan w/C3 & Guardian ECM modules|
|Targeting Tracking System||Garret F22C|
|Heat Sinks||16 Double Heat Sinks|
|Jump Jets||Audi-Fokker Mark IV|
|BV (1.0)||1,639 (C3: 156)|
After producing OmniMechs licensed from the Draconis Combine-based Luthien Armor Works for several years, StarCorps Industries gained a sufficient understanding of OmniMech technology to begin designing their own OmniMechs and OmniVehicles in 3060. When they finished development of the Thanatos as an OmniMech however neither the LAAF or the AFFS was interested in obtaining any new OmniMech designs, citing their high cost and the availability of existing OmniMechs StarCorps was manufacturing. Having spent considerable resources on a 'Mech they were sure would be approved with no difficulty, with adroit agility StarCorps converted the Thanatos into a standard BattleMech and resubmitted to the two militaries who gladly added it to their arsenals.
The Thanatos functions best in heavy cavalry units, often operating alongside other 'Mechs that share its speed profile like the Argus, Barghest, Falconer and Rakshasa, complimenting them with its intense short-ranged firepower. Displacing the oldest Quickdraws within LAAF and AFFS units like the Alliance Jaegers and the First Federated Suns Armored Cavalry, StarCorps also offered the design to mercenary units ranging from the famed Eridani Light Horse to the less-storied Black Angus Boys.
Weapons and Equipment
With StarCorps copying both the physical features and performance capabilities of the Clan Thor, the Thanatos is built on a StarFrame Heavy Endo Steel to save weight and carries a PlasmaStar 375 XL engine that gives the 'Mech a top speed of 86.4 km/h and also has five Audi-Fokker Mark IV jump jets that allow it to jump up to one hundred and fifty meters adding to its mobility. The Thanatos has sixteen double heat sinks to dissipate waste heat from the weapons and it carries thirteen tons of Durallex Heavy armor; compared to other 'Mechs of similar weight however, its protection is relatively light. The 'Mech carries a Guardian ECM Suite to protect itself from hostile electronic warfare systems.
The Thanatos is armed to engage an enemy in a variety of situations. For long-range combat, the Thanatos has a Defiance Model 6 ER Large Laser, giving the 'Mech some long range damage capabilities. The 'Mech comes into its own though in the medium to short range brackets as it can bring its Shigunga MRM-20 launcher and two Defiance Model XII ER Medium Lasers to bear. Finally, the single RAMTech 800P Medium Pulse Laser provides highly accurate close range firepower. The 'Mech carries a C3 Slave Unit which dramatically increases its accuracy when it is part of a C3 Lance.
- This Thanatos variant uses a lighter engine that reduces the top speed to 64km/h. It also replaces the extended range lasers with four Medium Pulse Lasers. It also carries the MRM-20, Guardian ECM Suite, and C3 slave of the standard Thanatos, but its main hitting power comes from the LB 20-X autocannon in the left arm. It mounts four jump jets, enough to cover 120 meters at a time. BV (2.0) = 1,760
- This version uses a Light Fusion Engine to provide a top speed of 64km/h. It retains the C3 Slave unit but removes the Guardian ECM Suite. The weapons array has been modified as well. This variant carries a Heavy PPC, two ER Medium Lasers, two Medium Lasers, and three LRM-5 launchers. Six Improved Jump Jets allow it to jump 180 meters. Enough room was opened up for it to carry thirteen double heat sinks. BV (2.0) = 1,936
- THS-4S Thanatos Felix
- This uniquely customized Thanatos that was created by a lone Mercenary MechWarrior named Felix Grimstead on Swartklip. After purchasing the 75-ton war machine, he removed the C3 unit in favor of a more advanced Targeting Computer. Soon after, he accepted a contract on Swartklip, where he found himself stranded. The circumstances of this are still vague on how he became stranded, however, what is not vague is the situation of switching the MRM rack for Rocket Launchers. Finding himself without ammunition sufficient enough to supply the MRM 20 launcher with enough ammo. Felix removed the MRM 20 with the help of Militia technicians, and replaced it with nine BFE Type-2 Rocket Launcher 10's, and in turn, giving his Thanatos a deadly surprise for those stupid enough to get into close combat, if ever the situation called for it. BV (2.0) = 2,032
These variants were introduced in various apocryphal sources, and thus far have not appeared in any canonical media.
From MechWarrior Online:
- A small rework of the -4S, the C3 Slave is removed, with all the weapons loadout the same as the C3 version.
- A 300 rated Light Fusion Engine provides improved survivability. The -5P mounts an LB 10-X Autocannon with 2 tons of ammo in the left arm, an ERPPC in the right arm, and 3 LRM-5s split between the left arm and both torsos with 3 tons of ammo feeding them. The ECM and Jump-Jets remain, with 12 Double Heat Sinks dissipating the relatively cool weapons loadout.
- The -5S' primary weapons are a pair of Light Gauss Rifles with 3 tons of ammo split between the torsos, with 2 ER Medium Lasers in the left arm and an LRM-10 with a ton of ammo in the right arm. A 300 rated extra-light allows these weapons to be mounted, along with the ECM and Jump-Jets, and 13 Double Heat Sinks.
- A dedicated missile boat, the -5T mounts six MRM-10s, two in each arm, and one in each side torso, fed by 10 tons of ammo. This variant is protected by fourteen tons of armor along with Guardian ECM, with a 300 light engine further increasing durability, and four Jump-Jets increase the 'Mech's mobility.
- MUL online date for the Thanatos
- Technical Readout: 3067, p. 91, "Thanatos 'Mech Profile"
- Record Sheets: Upgrades, p. 132
- Record Sheets: 3067 Unabridged, p. 148
- Record Sheets: 3067 Unabridged, p. 149
- Record Sheets: 3067 Unabridged, p. 150
- Record Sheets: Unique 'Mechs p. 13, Thanatos Felix - Custom Variant published by BattleCorps website.
- MechWarrior Online - Thanatos Sale Page