- Devlin Stone's Origins Revealed
- BattleTech Is Coming In April!
- Blaine Lee Pardoe Provides Fascinating Look At “Twilight Of The Clans” Origins
- Year of Battle Armor: Unit 1 - Corona Heavy Battle Armor
- Community Outreach - Interview With Brent Evans, Lead BattleTech Developer At Catalyst Games
- Read more →
|Unit Profile (as of 3025)|
|CO||Lt. Col. Forsythe|
The Hat-in-the-Ring Battalion, colloquially abbreviated "HRB", is a peculiar mercenary unit notable for their highly trained Techs; the unit is known to frequently make minor modifications to some of their 'Mechs such as routinely replacing the SRM-2 on their Assassins with a Medium Laser and some extra armor.
While the actual inception date of the HRB is unknown, they have reportedly been running an intense Tech recruiting and training program since the 2980's and field a number of 'Mechs with minor field modifications. It is also noted that the unit has a long history of serving House Davion.
In 3025 the HRB participated in the defense of Holt against a raid by two battalions from the Capellan Confederation. (Notably, Holt is situated deep within House Marik's Free Worlds League, literally on the other side of the Capellan Confederation from House Davion's Federated Suns, suggesting the unit may actually have been in Marik employ at the time.) Charmichal's Recon Lance of the HRB, consisting of two Spiders and two Assassins, captured two enemy Chargers which they considered useless. This prompted Chief Tech Stuart Bell (a certified Master Tech with a Technician Rating of 8) to devise a field modification that would become known as the CGR-SB Challenger variant of the Charger, in an attempt to turn the design into a proper fighting machine.
Since the article is written from a 3028 viewpoint the HRB apparently still existed by that year.
- BattleTechnology issue 0203, p. 34
- The 'Technician Rating' refers to the rules in MechWarrior: The BattleTech Role Playing Game, 1st Edition, which was the current RPG ruleset at the time of the unit's writeup in BattleTechnology