Heavy Hover APC
- Did You Know? - Fan made TRO 3028 is better than the originals!
- BattleTech Technology - Today!
- Someone did the math on how many 'Mechs you kill in MechWarrior 3
- A chat with MechWarrior Online Champs: Empyreal's prtNspz - Full Interview
- Unstoppable: A chat with MechWarrior Online Champs, Empyreal's prtNspz
- Read more →
|Heavy Hover APC|
|Production Year||Early Spaceflight Era|
|Armor||Generic Standard Armor|
|Engine||Generic 75 Internal Combustion Engine|
|Targeting Tracking System||Various|
2x Machine Guns
Armies have used armored personnel carriers (APCs) for centuries to transport troops to the front lines, which continues even in the era of battle armor. The Heavy Hover APC is a larger version of its standard counterpart able to carry two full platoons of Foot Infantry or one platoon of either Motorized or Jump Infantry.
While the more common 10-ton Hover APC is 30 km/h faster, it can carry only a single squad of infantry. In order for an entire platoon to be deployed at a target location, a single platoon must be spread across a lance of four APCs, forcing the APCs to stay in tight formation for the insertion. The heavy model is twice as large as standard APCs and is designed to carry two full platoons of foot troopers along with their gear. This improved capacity, in addition to two tons more armor protection, makes heavy APCs the preference of commanders who can obtain them with the majority used by the Federated Commonwealth Regimental Combat Teams.
Weapons and Equipment
No more a fighting vehicle than its "standard" counterpart, the Heavy Hover APC carries two front-mounted Machine Guns supplied by half a ton of ammunition, carried only for defense against other infantry units. The lack of a turret makes the APC particularly vulnerable to flanking attacks from the rear, but most can successfully unload their troops before an enemy is in position to launch such an attack.
The most common variants of these vehicles replace the infantry bay with additional weaponry, usually an SRM-4 or even a single LRM-5 launcher. When deployed in urban areas against heavy infantry opposition, these vehicles mount additional machine guns.
- This is an anti-infantry version of the APC, which was introduced during the Star League era. The infantry bay is reduced to 3 ton capacity, while 4 more Machine Guns are added to the vehicle. A single Machine Gun is added to the right and left sides, while the rear is given 2. The vehicle's ammunition capacity is brought up to 300 rounds. BV (2.0) = 218
- Scout Tank
- The Scout Tank variant was introduced during the torrent fighting of the Jihad. The vehicle's original weaponry & infantry capacities are completely removed for its new role. The vehicle is fitted with a front mounted Class 5 Light Autocannon with 40 rounds of ammunition. The crew is given additional protection in the form of a slight increase in armor and from an ammunition explosion with CASE added to the vehicle's ammunition bay. BV (2.0) = 330
- MUL online date for the Heavy Hover APC
- Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged, p. 14
- Technical Readout: 3060, pp. 12-13, Heavy Hover APC Vehicle Profile
- Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged, p. 15 - New PDF Record Sheet only variant with proper BV 2.0 value given.
- Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged, p. 16
- Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged, p. 17
- Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged, p. 18