Black Dragon Coup
On the morning of 1 January 3068, the Second Sword of Light forces of the Kokuryu-kai attacked the Imperial Palace from the surrounding environs, engaging the Loyalist forces of the same unit, as well as the Otomo and Izanagi Warriors. The Black Dragons were assisted by the mercenary unit Sathen's Snipers. Once they captured the primary gate complex, the palace fell shortly after. Prior to the Black Dragons' victory, Franklin Sakamoto of the Otomo was captured and Griffon Metshune was killed. The Third Luthien Guards successfully withdrew from the battle, largely in part due to the palace's loyalist samurai.
- The Courtyard is a central area, open to the heavens. It is ringed with balconies and paved with red bricks. Various ceremonies and military reviews take place there.
- The Throne Room is a large, elegant hall. The Coordinator's throne is on the north wall, and the only entrances are the massive door directly opposite the throne to the south and a hidden exit behind the throne. Except for the throne, there are no other seating arrangements. The room is hung with beautiful tapestries, and luxurious rugs cover most of the floor. On the ceiling is a map of settled space described in gold inlay.
- The precise location of the Imperial Palace is not concretely known. In Wolf Pack, a character sees "a small portion of Unity Palace, the Imperial palace, through the trees." Unity Palace is located in Imperial City, per House Kurita (The Draconis Combine), p. 93 and two maps provided in Black Dragon. The Wolf Pack quote suggests (if the quote does not intend to describe Unity Palace as an imperial palace) that both palaces can be seen in one view. It may be they are a part of the same complex, with Unity Palace the center of the government, while the Imperial Palace may be the residence of the Coordinator.
- Jihad Turning Points: Luthien, p. 8, "Traitor's Kiss"
- House Kurita (The Draconis Combine), p. 93 "COURT RITUAL"