Intrepid (Small Craft class)
- BattleTech Technology - Today!
- Someone did the math on how many 'Mechs you kill in MechWarrior 3
- A chat with MechWarrior Online Champs: Empyreal's prtNspz - Full Interview
- Unstoppable: A chat with MechWarrior Online Champs, Empyreal's prtNspz
- Meet the competitive leagues of MechWarrior Online
- Read more →
- This article is about the small craft design. For other uses, see Intrepid (disambiguation).
|Intrepid Assault Craft|
|Manufacturer||Avalon Aerospace Partners|
|Use|| Interceptor |
|Tech Base||Primitive Inner Sphere|
|Drive System||Primitive Fusion|
|Armament|| 2x Large Lasers |
7x Medium Lasers
|Armor|| Nose: 73 |
Designed during the Age of War era, the Intrepid Assault Craft was a Primitive Small Craft which was used as a multifunction vessel being able to under take roles of both interceptor and assault craft.
The Intrepid was conceived prior to the Federated Suns' fully adopting the aerospace fighter into its military. At the time, the FedSuns was among the last to adopt the aerospace fighter, it's leadership desired to have a ship that could be used in additional roles for their fleet.
The craft was used to replaced early "Assault Shuttles" and small escort crafts. Intent was to create a general purpose vessel the craft took on roles that many other nations were using variety of different types of ships for. In addition to serving as fighter craft, it was used also to transports marines to vessels for boarding actions. Ship was designed with enough firepower to put on par with contemporaries spacecraft of it's day. The ship's performance motivated others into adopting similar vessels.
Weapons and Equipment
The Intrepid's weapons array had the following: Two Large Lasers, one per wing section which provides the craft its long range firepower. The remaining ship's fire-power comes to bare when it closes in close-in combat, where ship's six Medium Lasers. Three medium lasers are concentrated in the nose, while single laser mounted in each of the two wings. An additional Medium Laser is mounted in the aft to give the ship some measurement of offensive abilities if it's tailed.
The ship's primitive fusion engine provides enough movement so the ship may reach the maximum thrust of 8. The ship's hull was protected by 18.5 tons of primitive grade of armor. The vessel also had a crew compliment of a single officer, 2 enlisted crews and two gunners.
- Aquarius Surface-to-Orbit Escort craft
- Lyonesse Surface-to-Orbit Escort craft
- Tigress Close Patrol Craft
The Intrepid Assault Craft has the following Design Quirks;
- Experimental Technical Readout: Primitives, Volume 4, p. 14