- Did You Know? - Fan made TRO 3028 is better than the originals!
- BattleTech Technology - Today!
- Someone did the math on how many 'Mechs you kill in MechWarrior 3
- A chat with MechWarrior Online Champs: Empyreal's prtNspz - Full Interview
- Unstoppable: A chat with MechWarrior Online Champs, Empyreal's prtNspz
- Read more →
|Manufacturer|| Andurien AeroTech |
Tharkad Aerospace Group
|Tech Base||Inner Sphere|
|Drive System||Movem-XL Drive|
|Safe Thrust||2 g|
|Max Thrust||3 g|
|Fuel (tons)||300 tons|
|Fuel (days)||163 days|
|Armament|| 7 x PPCs |
2 x AC/10s
3 x AC/5s
4 x LRM-20s
4 x SRM-6s
4 x Large Lasers
16 x Medium Lasers
|Armor|| 34 tons Standard |
|Crew|| 146 personnel
Designed to carry out raiding and assault operations, the Intruder-class DropShip is smaller than the more common Union-class though more heavily armed. This makes it more suitable for high-risk heavy combat where BattleMech support is not a requirement. The Intruder is adept at carrying out various types of operations independently, from intelligence-gathering to securing a foothold during an invasion.
With heavy weaponry evenly spread across its hull, the vessel is hard to take out, even on the ground. Thanks to its unique landing gear which extend down from the hull instead of out like most other spheroid designs, the hull of a landed Intruder is flush with the ground, making it nearly impossible for enemy forces to get under the vessel and place explosives or sabotage delicate landing systems. The landing gear can quickly extend back down again in order to provide sufficient ground clearance for the fusion drive to ignite, allowing the Intruder to get airborne in just 30 seconds.
Besides weaponry, the Intruder will typically carry a company of marines for spacecraft boarding and ground operations. Three large bays provide sufficient space to set up target practice simulators or conduct physical exercise for the marines and crew. When not in use these bays double as recreational spaces.
The Intruder is also notable for its well-appointed medical and surgical facilities, including an emergency room with two operating tables, a six-bed intensive care unit and a dispensary, and a highly sophisticated command center featuring mapboards, tactical intelligence displays and battle computers. The command and control facilities on the Intruder rivals those of the command versions of the larger Union and Overlord, though its capacity is limited to smaller Battalion-sized formations at most.
The largest producer of the Intruder in the Inner Sphere was Andurien AeroTech, a division of Free Worlds Defense Industries. However the Andurien Secession badly damaged Andurien AeroTech and forced the company to halt all production of the Intruder. It wasn't until 3046 that the Free Worlds League rebuilt the factory and production finally resumed. The recovery of lostech would also spur the company to introduce a new upgraded version of the Intruder in 3056.
The Intruder is equally home fighting in space or on the ground, with its large weapons array fairly evenly spread across the entire surface of the craft. The nose bays feature a single PPC, LRM-20, AC/5 and twin Medium Lasers, with a further PPC and LRM-20 rack, paired Medium Lasers and a single Large Laser on each fore angle. The rear quarters of the craft are also heavily armed, featuring twin PPCs, paired AC/5 and AC/10, and two SRM-6 racks on each rear angle, with another LRM-20, twin Large Lasers and twin Medium Lasers mounted directly aft. For ammunition the vessel carries three tons of AC/5, four tons of AC/10, six tons of SRM-6 and eleven tons of LRM-20 munitions.
While designated as an attack craft, the Intruder features a large cargo capacity which can be used to carry a combined-arms unit. The vessel can carry up to four platoons of foot infantry, typically marines although other units such as motorized infantry can be carried as well with minor alterations. Additionally the vessel includes a single fighter bay on either side which can be used to service and launch Aerospace Fighters or Small Craft. When they were more prevalent these bays could also carry Land Air 'Mechs which provided more flexibility during combat operations. Finally the Intruder features a cargo bay capable of carrying 1,108 tons of supplies; it can also be easily modified to carry a company of light vehicles.
- The most common of the rare Intruder variants, this Capellan Confederation model introduced in 2905 replaces the rear-facing AC/5s with AC/10s and adds a further four tons of ammunition. To make room for this alteration, two medium lasers from each rear-facing firing arc were removed and six tons of fuel were dropped.
- Built by Andurien AeroTech in 3056, the entire weapons array of this upgraded version of the Intruder were was replaced with Lostech equivalents: the PPCs were swapped to extended range models, two Gauss Rifles covering the rear arcs and an Ultra AC/5 in the nose replaced the autocannons, Artemis IV FCS was added to the LRM and SRM racks, two ER Large Lasers and two Large Pulse Lasers replaced their standard equivalents, and all 16 standard medium lasers were replaced with Medium Pulse Lasers. Switching to Double Heat Sinks allowed the craft to vent twice as much heat as before despite dropping 13 heat sinks total, and protection was increased with 74 tons of standard armor. The standard carrying capacity was reduced to three infantry platoons and general cargo to 850 tons, with only 88 bay personnel needed to man this reduced capacity. BV (1.0) = 6,533, BV (2.0) = 6,498
Intruder Ship Gallery
- DropShips and JumpShips, p. 15
- MUL online date for the Intruder
- Technical Readout: 3057 Revised, p. 24-25
- AeroTech 2 Record Sheets, p. 217
- DropShips and JumpShips, p. 48-49
- AeroTech 2 Record Sheets, p. 218