|Manufacturer||Kallon Industries, Independence Weaponry|
|Chassis||Kallon Type XII|
|Communications System||Garret T11-A|
|Targeting Tracking System||Garret D2j|
Designed as an anti-aircraft platform and long-range fire support unit, the JagerMech was intended to correct several perceived faults of the original Rifleman. Kallon Industries went about reviewing the battlefield performance of the Rifleman and identified three critical flaws: it ran too hot, it was too lightly armored, and it didn't carry enough ammunition. Kallon's engineers built the JagerMech with these issues in mind and while they managed to address the heat and ammunition problems they were unable to increase its armoring despite the larger chassis. In the end the company saw this as less of an issue since, as they noted, the JagerMech is a second-line 'Mech whose long-ranged autocannons allow it to engage many enemies without suffering return fire.
During the Succession Wars the largest numbers of JagerMechs served the Federated Suns and Capellan Confederation, with relatively few found in the other Great Houses. The 'Mech became especially associated with the Suns, not least because it's primary factory was located on the moon Talon, and was used extensively by the Armed Forces of the Federated Suns. It was most often used to form fire support lances, working in conjunction with similar 'Mechs like the Dervish and Rifleman, while also being deployed as part of attack and strike lances to provide support for their lancemates. After the Fourth Succession War Kallon contracted out with Independence Weaponry on Quentin to increase production of the JagerMech, but the planet was captured by the Draconis Combine in the War of 3039 and the production line fell under their control. Although the Kuritans were never big fans of the 'Mech it slowly began appearing in large numbers in their armed forces.
Despite its improvements over the original Rifleman it soon became apparent the JagerMech was in desperate need of a redesign to improve survivability on the battlefield. Utilizing lostech which had been discovered in the last few years Kallon was able to build a new variant, the JM6-DD; fortuitously it came into production just months prior to the Clan Invasion. After the Wolf's Dragoons summit on Outreach, First Prince Hanse Davion agreed to share the technical specifications of the JMS-DD with the Kuritans, resulting in these new JagerMechs seeing significant action across the Clans' invasion paths. After the war nearly every regiment in the Draconis Combine and Federated Commonwealth featured new and refitted JagerMechs.
After the FedCom Civil War further development of the JagerMech split along three different lines. The first were simple field refits of the original JM6-DD, such as the H and DG models. The second was a complete overhaul as part of Victor Steiner-Davion's "Redesign for Davion Pride" program, resulting in the JagerMech III. The third was the creation of a divergent line, the JM7 series, built on a slightly heavier chassis. In 3069 the JagerMech factory on Talon was destroyed due to the Jihad, leaving only the Quentin factory to still produce the 'Mech.
Weapons and Equipment
The JagerMech mounts two pairs of Mydron autocannons; each arm is fitted with a Model C Medium Autocannon and a Model D Light Autocannon. Ammunition for these is carried in the torso, two tons for the class-5 autocannons split between left and right torso and one ton for the class-2s in the center, allowing for twenty full-strength volleys. A pair of Magna Mk. II Medium Lasers are mounted in the left and right torso in case the 'Mech must engage the enemy at close range. Ten single heat sinks dissipate waste heat generated by these weapons. The long range of its autocannons, combined with the excellent Garret D2j targeting and tracking system (made famous by the Rifleman), makes it a prime choice for anti-aircraft work. The range of its autocannons also allow it to engage many enemies without suffering return fire, and when stationary it is able to fire all its weapons without heat build-up thanks to ten single heat sinks. Carrying only a miserly six tons of standard armor, the JagerMech is very vulnerable to return fire.
- Modified specifically for the anti-aircraft role, the A variant was introduced in 2778. It replaces both Autocannon/5s with Zeus LRM-15s with two tons of ammunition. Weight saved by the change allows the variant to add two tons of armor, approximately half a ton to each forward hit location. Kallon only dedicated two production runs to this variant, most of which served in FedSun RCTs. BV (1.0) = 841, BV (2.0) = 1,122
- The DD was the first variation incorporating technology recovered from the Gray Death Memory Core. The DD replaces the standard engine with an XL model and converts the armor to Ferro-Fibrous, adding an additional half-ton. The Mydron Medium Autocannons are replaced by General Motors Nova-5 Ultra Autocannons, and the Magna standard lasers are replaced with Sutel Precision Line Medium Pulse Lasers. CASE is mounted in both side torsos to protect the ammunition, with the AC/2 ammunition doubled and moved into these side torsos to take advantage of this. The original design's single heat sinks are retained. BV (1.0) = 713, BV (2.0) = 965
- The DDa is a Jihad-era refit first spotted in 3070. A hybrid of the JM6-D and JM6-DD, it uses the chassis, engine, CASE-protected ammunition bays, and armor of the JM6-DD with a weapons complement similar to the JM6-D. The standard Autocannon/5 and Light AC/2s have similar range characteristics, and can use special munitions. The autocannon and twin medium lasers are also tied into an advanced Targeting Computer. As the weapons are comparatively cool, ten single heat sinks are used to dissipate heat buildup. (This freed double heat sinks for use on hotter designs.) BV (2.0) = 911
- This field refit was the result of inspired technicians working on JagerMechs undergoing major overhauls. Introduced in 3054 it replaces the autocannons with two Gauss Rifles and six tons of ammunition. In order to accommodate this change, the lasers were swapped out for ER Medium Lasers. The heat sinks were also upgraded to double-strength models. BV (2.0) = 1,661
- The H variation is a late-era Periphery modification first seen in 3064 when the Marian Hegemony invaded the Illyrian Palatinate. The entire weapons loadout is replaced with two Large Lasers, two LB-X autocannon/2s with one ton of ammunition, and six Rocket Launcher 15s. Ten tons of ferro-fibrous armor are carried, and ten double heat sinks carry the heat burden of the heavy lasers. BV (1.0) = 1,203, BV (2.0) = 1,348
- This fourth variant of the JM7 series was introduced during the Jihad in 3075. Five tons heavier than the standard JM6-D, each arm mounts a pair of Light AC/2 autocannon and a single Snub-Nose PPC. An ER Medium Laser is mounted in the center torso. It also uses an experimental C3 Boosted Slave to share targeting data with its lancemates. BV (2.0) = 1,354
- The first of the heavier JM7 JagerMech variants introduced in 3057, the D variation adds five tons of overall weight to the JM6-DD, four and one-half of which go directly to increased Ferro-Fibrous armor. The Autocannon/2s are replaced with ER Large Lasers. The weight savings from this swap allows the design to mount thirteen double heat sinks. BV (1.0) = 1,171, BV (2.0) = 1,500
- Another 70 ton variant, the F variation was introduced in 3062. It replaces the JM7-D's Ultra Autocannon and ER Large Lasers with a pair of Rotary Autocannon/5s with four tons of ammunition. Aiming assistance is provided by a Targeting Computer, and defense is improved by the addition of a Guardian ECM Suite. One double heat sink is removed. BV (1.0) = 1,562, BV (2.0) = 1,774
- This variant from MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries predates the rediscovery of the Helm (or, alternately, Gravenhague) Memory Core. It exchanges the traditional autocannon-centric gun fit of the JM6-S for large lasers in each arm and secondary medium lasers in both side torsos, in order to free the JM6-B from close dependency on ammunition resupply for its main weapons. These changes ultimately reduce max range and increase heat dissipation issues, with only 13 single heat sinks. Despite needing competent heat management, this variant proved to be well-suited for extended use in austere conditions such as frontier worlds, out in the Periphery, and by smaller mercenary units that could not always count on fresh expendables. A pair of LRM-15 launchers - the only ammunition-dependent weapons - are split between the side torsos; with 8 volleys each, these provide a partial compensation for the extreme range capability lost with the removal of the JM6-S's AC/2s, and introduce a respectable indirect-fire capability. Confirmed sightings in 3044 place initial production at least prior to that year.
- Peter Steiner-Davion - Following his graduation from the Nagelring, Peter piloted a JagerMech. When he returned from his self-imposed exile, he did so at the helm of a Fafnir.
A 1st Davion Guards JagerMech during a weapon test
- MUL online entry for JagerMech
- Record Sheets: 3039, p. 152
- Technical Readout: 3025 Revised, p. 84-85
- Technical Readout: 3039, p. 148-149
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade, p. 74-75
- Introductory Record Sheets, p. 19
- Record Sheets: 3039, p. 151
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged β Old is the New New, p. 94
- Master Unit List: Battle Values, p. 112
- Master Unit List: Battle Values, p. 113
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged β Old is the New New, p. 99
- This variant was imported to the board game from the MechCommander computer game.
- Record Sheets: 3060, p. 182
- Record Sheets: 3067, p. 177
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade, p. 74
- Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged, p. 163
- Introductory Record Sheets
- Master Unit List: Battle Values
- Record Sheets: 3039
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrade (Inner Sphere)
- Record Sheets: 3060
- Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged
- Record Sheets: 3067
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged β Old is the New New
- Record Sheets: Upgrades
- Technical Readout: 3025
- Technical Readout: 3025 Revised
- Technical Readout: 3039
- Technical Readout: 3050
- Technical Readout: 3050 Revised
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade
- Technical Readout: 3060