|Karnov UR Transport|
|Manufacturer||New Earth Trading Company|
|Armor||Star Slab 1.5 Standard|
|Engine||DAV 160 Gas Turbine|
|Communications System||Johnston Q Rotor 2|
|Targeting Tracking System||None|
The Karnov UR Transport is a heavy lift VTOL which has been in service for hundreds of years, the tilt-rotor design being amongst the fastest of its type in use. A reliable and hardy machine, all of the Successor State armed forces and many mercenary units use at least some Karnovs for supply and logistics missions. Many commercial firms also use the Karnov for local transportation of cargo in its sizable 6-ton bay, and as a flying crane.
A thoroughly mundane vehicle, the most notable thing about the design is its unusual manufacture. Since New Earth Trading Company first began distributing the design in 2920, many were baffled how a company with no known VTOL production facilities could offer brand new Karnovs for sale. In fact NETC received their entire supply from ComStar, part of an secret agreement with the Order in exchange for food, resources and information. When ComStar publicly revealed the existence of the Com Guards they retained more for their own troops, reducing the volume of Karnovs shipped to NETC. The company finally constructed their own factory in late 3043 which allowed them to continue to sell the Karnov when ComStar eventually abandoned the arrangement altogether to devote all its resources to recovering from the Battle of Tukayyid.
Weapons and Equipment
Like most modern support vehicles, the Karnov UR is not designed for combat. While its Star Slab armor gives the Karnov a reasonable chance of survival if attacked by a lightly armed attacker, with its slow fully loaded speed, lack of weaponry and highly vulnerable rotors, the Karnov is a sitting duck for any combat unit.
- Field Mod
- ComStar never supplied NETC with anything other than the standard model, but some buyers made field modifications, arming the Karnov with light weaponry such as machine guns or missile racks in the cargo bay.
- NETC offered the first factory variant of the Karnov in 3055, the upgraded version has increased defensive and 7 ton cargo capacity through the use of Ferro-Fibrous armor and addition of a manned Machine Gun turret on each side to protect an enlarged cargo bay. The upgrade is somewhat slower than the original due to switch to the lighter but less powerful DAV 160 power plant. BV (2.0) = 152
- Battle Armor Transport
- Equipped with a pair of ER Medium Lasers and two tons of Ferro-Fibrous Armor, this Karnov variant can deploy battle armored infantry directly from its eight ton Cargo Bay. To provide additional protection, a Guardian ECM Suite is mounted in the nose. BV (1.0) = 620 BV (2.0) = 499
- Karnov (Heavy Stealth)
- First seen in 3082 this version of the Karnov is 50% heavier than the base model. The forty-five ton VTOL is protected by four tons of Vehicle Stealth Armor powered by an Angel ECM Suite. An 85 rated XL Fusion engine allows it to move at a flank speed of 96km/h, but it also carries a VTOL Jet Booster that allows it to "sprint" at speeds of up to 120km/h for fast insertions or extractions. A pair of Sponson Turrets each mount a single Machine Gun for suppressive fire. The Heavy Stealth Karnov was used by a group of criminals called "The Master's Chosen." They deploy rapidly from the four ton Infantry Bay, and steal equipment and supplies that fit into the Karnov's ten ton cargo bay. BV (2.0) = 416
- Technical Readout 3058 Upgrade, pp. 70-71, "Karnov Profile"
- MUL online date for the Karnov
- Record Sheets: 3039 Unabridged, p. 68
- Record Sheets: 3039 Unabridged, p. 69
- |Master Unit List Karnov AC
- Record Sheets: 3039 Unabridged, p. 70
- Record Sheets: 3039 Unabridged, p. 71
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Inner Sphere), p. 55
- Technical Readout: 3058 Upgrade, p. 70
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 55
- Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades, p. 87
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Inner Sphere), p. 56
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 56
- Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades, p. 87
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Inner Sphere), p. 57
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 57
- Experimental Technical Readout: Most Wanted, p. 10
- Experimental Technical Readout: Most Wanted, p. 23
- Technical Readout: 3026, p. 26
- Technical Readout: 3058, p. 26