Kathil Capellan March Militia
|Kathil Capellan March Militia|
|Unit Profile (as of 3062)|
|Parent Formation||Capellan March Militia|
In common with the other March Militias found across the Federated Suns, the Kathil Capellan March Militia or Kathil CMM was formed in 2754 as a result of the Preparedness Act enacted by First Prince Roger Davion in 2735. Roger established a formal training program aimed at increasing the general readiness level of the Armed Forces of the Federated Suns reserve forces and formalized the structure of the March Militias, bringing the planetary militias into a common structure.
Roger established a system whereby each of the Marches within the Federated Suns conducted internal wargames every two years, with those wargames being inspired by the Martial Olympiad conducted by the Star League Defense Force every four years. Each March Militia was formed as an ad-hoc brigade drawing on the winners from each planetary militia across each Combat Region. These ad hoc brigades then competed against each other at a March level to earn the title of "Best Prepared" March Militia within each of the three Marches.
The wargames proved to be very popular and by 2750 the prestige that was associated with the "Best Prepared" title inspired troops in every combat region to give their best effort, with some commands making plans years in advance to try and ensure that they were ready. After the close of the 2754 games First Prince John Davion activated all of the combat region commands as federal troops and formed them into the March Militias; while this move was controversial and provoked a flurry of judicial cases opposing the creation of the commands, it also added twenty BattleMech-equipped combat commands to the AFFS in a single stroke. Many of the planets that provided troops for the games were resentful of having their best militia troops pressed into federal service, and it would be 2763 before the last of the cases worked its way through the courts. With the final ruling going in favor of Prince John, he then moved to allay many of the fears expressed by the planets involved by laying down specific instructions that the March Militias wouldn't be deployed outside their home combat regions except under a small number of very rare and clearly-defined exceptions.
Firmly established, the Kathil CMM acted as a mobile reserve for the Kathil Combat Region and a staging ground through which planetary militia soldiers could move on into the AFFS, while retiring AFFS personnel moved into the March Militia to pass on their knowledge and experience. The Kathil CMM was one of four March Militia brigades founded within the Capellan March in 2754, with the other three being the Chesterton, New Syrtis and Royalston CMMs.
The Kathil CMM was actively involved in the 2760-2762 Border War that raged between the Capellan Confederation and the Federated Suns; all four Capellan March Militias fought during the war, which spanned across three of the Capellan March Combat Regions. The Kathil CMM saw less combat than two of its sister militias, the Chesterton and Royalston CMMs, and consequently was in better shape by the eve of the Amaris Civil War in 2765.
Fourth Succession War
Years later, a new Kathil CMM was founded.
FedCom Civil War
In 3062 fighting with the 8th FedCom RCT erupted. Both sides saw their respective chain of command as the legal one: The Kathil CMM followed the commands of Field Marshal George Hasek and the 8th FedCom followed direct orders from Katherine Steiner-Davion. As the 2nd NAIS Training Cadre was also attacked by the 8th FedCom, they joined with the Kathil CMM.
Both sides kept delivering reinforcements and the fighting kept on until the end of the FedCom Civil War in 3067. The Kathil CMM was combined with the First Capellan Dragoons after both units took heavy casualties during the Civil War. Survivors of the combined brigade were absorbed into the 6th Syrtis Fusiliers.
Spread among many planets the unit haven't time to train at a larger fighting force.
Kathil Capellan March Militia (Regular/Reliable)
- - One BattleMech regiment
- - Two armor regiments
- - Three infantry regiments
- - One mobile artillery battalion
- - Two aerospace wings, each of eighteen aerospace fighters
Kathil Capellan March Militia (Green/Questionable)
- CO: Major General Edward Gashton
- CO: Major General Donald Sampreis
- CO: Major Jeraid Northrup
- CO: Lieutenant General Chandra Lo
Kathil CMM Infantry Brigade (4 Regiments/Green/Reliable)
- CO: Major General Lars-Erik Gennady
- Their homeworld is Kathil. Their motto is "Duty, Honor, Loyalty".
- One of their more prominent warriors was Captain (later Major) David McCarthy, a Kathil native who piloted a Devastator, which was rare in a March Militia unit. Formerly Kommandant McCarthy in the 1st Kathil Uhlans, he was one of the survivors of that unit's actions in Task Force Serpent, choosing not to join the SLDF like his fellow Uhlans and re-enlisting in his homeworld's military. For his ties to Prince Victor, the Archon-Princess demoted him to Captain. McCarthy took over command of his battalion after the Kathil CMM XO, Leftenant-Colonel Damien Zibler, was killed in the initial engagement between the CMM and the 8th FC RCT. He is also the protagonist of the novel Flashpoint, but it is unknown what came of him and his command by the conclusion of the Battle of Kathil.
- Field Report 2765: Federated Suns, p. 21, "Federated Suns March Militias"
- Warrior: Coupé, pp. 230-233
- Field Manual Updates, p. 125
- House Davion (The Federated Suns), p. 137 (pdf version), "Kathil PDZ"
- Field Manual: Federated Suns, p. 110, "Militia Profile"
- Flashpoint, p.??