- Clan Invasion Approaches $2 Million Stretch Goal, Teases UrbanMech Plushie
- What’s up with Catalyst? at GenCon 2019
- MechWarrior 5 Confirmed As Epic Games Store Exclusive
- Clan Invasion Boxed Set Funded In 7 Freakin’ Minutes, Catalyst Frantically Throwing Up Stretch Goals
- Is MechWarrior 5 About To Go Epic Exclusive?
- Read more →
Introduced in 2575 by the Terran Hegemony, the Laser Insulators were an advanced heat sink first used in the SLDF's Chippewa fighter. The laser bays in the fighter's wings were insulated from its superstructure and core systems with robust, lightweight aerogel blankets. While providing the equivalent of two standard heat sinks at a fraction of the weight, the primary drawback of the system was that it trapped the heat close to the source rather than allowing it to flow through the entire fighter to act as a thermal mass. This meant the weapons suffered frequent failure from overheating.
- Heat output of lasers are reduced by one for each insulator, to a minimum of 1. Each insulated laser has a chance to receive a critical hit if they roll a 2 on an unmodified attack roll. Only a single insulator may be installed on each laser, and non-Laser energy weapons are not applicable.
- Laser Insulators may only be mounted in BattleMechs, Combat Vehicles, Support Vehicles, Aerospace Fighters and Small Craft.
- Each Laser Insulator weighs 0.5 tons, with each Insulator occupying one critical slot. A Laser Insulator costs 3,000 C-Bills.
- Tactical Operations, p. 322, "Laser Insulator"
- Tactical Operations, p. 407-408, "Heavy Weapons and Equipment Construction Data"