- Did You Know? - Fan made TRO 3028 is better than the originals!
- BattleTech Technology - Today!
- Someone did the math on how many 'Mechs you kill in MechWarrior 3
- A chat with MechWarrior Online Champs: Empyreal's prtNspz - Full Interview
- Unstoppable: A chat with MechWarrior Online Champs, Empyreal's prtNspz
- Read more →
Introduced in 2575 by the Terran Hegemony, the Laser Insulators were an advanced heat sink first used in the SLDF's Chippewa fighter. The laser bays in the fighter's wings were insulated from its superstructure and core systems with robust, lightweight aerogel blankets. While providing the equivalent of two standard heat sinks at a fraction of the weight, the primary drawback of the system was that it trapped the heat close to the source rather than allowing it to flow through the entire fighter to act as a thermal mass. This meant the weapons suffered frequent failure from overheating.
Heat output of lasers are reduced by one for each insulator, to a minimum of 1. Each insulated laser is subject to taking a critical hit if they roll a 2 on an unmodified attack roll.
- Tactical Operations, p. 322, "Laser Insulator"