- Most Current Legality scale published in A Time of War
- Availability Rating Scale in Mechwarrior, First Edition was only relevant to MechWarriors, so there was no legality rating.
- Legality scale published in MechWarrior Companion
- Legality scale published in MechWarrior, Third Edition or Classic BattleTech Role Playing Game
- Legality scale published in A Time of War
Legality Rating is a code used in the MechWarrior Role Playing Game indicating how controlled a class of Combat Support Vehicles, 'Mech, (or other) mounted equipment, or subsystems found in the same. It's primary function is to designate how much governments control public (and mercenary) access to the systems are in given regions in the BattleTech universe. A similar system was used in the MechWarrior, Second Edition roleplaying game.
|Unrestricted||Items in this category can be purchased with little or no governmental control on most worlds.|
|Restricted||Legal purchase and use require a nominally easy to acquire governmental licence.|
|Controlled||Use or purchase of these items by civilians & mercenaries are illegal on most civilized worlds outside of specifically authorized members of Governmental, Police or Military Organizations.|
|Military or Government||If discovered in the hands of civilians (aka unauthorized mercenaries), these highly illegal items will be confiscated by Governmental or Military Perssonnel.|
- MechWarrior Companion pp.85