Man-Portable Plasma Rifle (Support Weapon)
- New BattleTech Box Sets Delayed
- Community Outreach - Interview with Jennifer Brozek, Author Of “The Nellus Academy Incident”
- BattleTech Releases Teaser Video For New Expansion: Flashpoint
- Did You Know? - Retro BattleTech Games, "MechWarrior 3050"
- Blaine Lee Pardoe Posts Treasure Trove Of Original ‘Mech Design Docs
- Read more →
- This article is about the infantry support weapon. For the Battle Armor variant, see Man-Portable Plasma Rifle (Battle Armor).
|Man-Portable Plasma Rifle|
|Year Availability||3065 (CC)|
|Mass Per Reload||18kg (10)|
The Man-Portable Plasma Rifle (M-PPR) was created by Ceres Arms in response to a request by the Capellan Confederation Armed Forces. Doubtful of the effectiveness of conventional infantry with the introduction of Battle Armor, the CCAF used funding aid provided for by members of their Trinity Alliance to develop a portable weapon which would boost the infantry's hitting power. While technically an energy weapon, the M-PPR consumes both energy and solid ammunition similar to Gauss weaponry.
The rifle is effectively a rugged ceramic-lined tube tied to an energy coupler and a cooling system, using a backpack power supply and a ten-round magazine consisting of plastic-foam cartridges. When fired, a laser converts a cartridge into plasma and releases it through the barrel towards the target. The high heat of the plasma, combined with its wide dispersion upon impact, makes it functionally similar to an incendiary missile; while effective against armored targets by setting them aflame, it's penetration is less than a Hellbore Assault Laser. With the addition of a proper adapter and more robust cooling system the M-PPR can also be mounted on battle suits.
- Item:Plasma Rifle, Man-Portable
- Equipment Rating: E/X-X-D/F
- Armor Piercing/Base Damage: 5E/10CS
- Range: 60/250/500/1000 meters
- Shots: 10; 5 Power Points per Shot
- Cost/Reload: 7,500/10*
- Affiliation: CC
- Mass/Reload: 30kg/8kg*
- Notes: Encumbering; Incendiary
- TechManual, p. 301
- TechManual, p. 319
- Combat Equipment, p. 16
- A Time of War, p. 275