|Mech type||Inner Sphere|
|Mass||70 tons[[Category:70 ton BattleMechs]]|
|Chassis||AR-7b Endo Steel|
|Engine||Magna 350 Light|
|Communications System||K9 Comms System|
|Targeting Tracking System||Type V Bloodhound T&T System|
|Heat Sinks||10 Double heat sinks|
Facing increasing shortages of Clan-grade material during the Jihad, Khan Phelan Kell sponsored several programs to develop Inner Sphere equipment to pad out his forces, the Mangonel one of the most visible outcomes of these initiatives. While the rare upgraded MNL-3W appeared in the Wolves-in-Exile's front-line commands, the standard MNL-3L was most commonly used in their second-line forces to allow the reassignment of Clan OmniMechs. As with any 'Mech produced on Arc-Royal, the Mangonel was also utilized by the Kell Hounds and a small number were shared with the Republic of the Sphere.
Built on a AR-7b Endo-Steel frame and powered by a Magna 350 rated Light Fusion Engine to allow the Mangonel to reach speeds of 86 kph and save weight for its heavy weapons array, a mere eight tons of Royal-7 Ferro-Fibrous armor and lack of CASE to ward against Gauss coil detonation greatly hamper the design's endurance during close-range slugging matches.
Weapons and Equipment
The Mangonel was literally built around the massive torso bay which contained its primary weapons, a pair of Corean Light Gauss Rifles, which when combined with its high speed allowed the 'Mech to dance around its targets at range. Unfortunately the single ton of reloads carried was adequate only for Clan Trials, while the pair of Diverse Optics ER Medium Lasers mounted in each arm made it an effective close-ranged combatant as only as long as its minimal armor held out.
- Such an extensive modification to the point it was an entirely different design, the MNL-3W was a complete rebuild utilizing Clan technology and was developed in 3082. Built on a Clan-grade Endo-Steel chassis, powered by a Clan 350 rated XL Fusion Engine and clad in ten tons of Clan-grade Ferro-Fibrous armor backed by an ECM suite, the 3W saved more weight while boasting superior durability to the Inner Sphere tech model. The weight saved allowed the replacement of the standard weaponry with a pair of full Clan-grade Gauss Rifles and swapped the IS ER Mediums for more deadly Clan models. The MNL-3W also had far superior endurance in the field thanks to the four tons of Gauss reloads, two dedicated for each cannon, carried in automatically CASE equipped bays and two additional heat sinks. BV (2.0) = 2,657
- This version of the Mangonel introduced in 3088 uses the standard Inner Sphere chassis, Light Engine, and armor. The weaponry is replaced with Clan-built HAG/40 in the right torso, while each arm has an ER Medium Laser and Medium Pulse Laser. All these weapons are built to Clan standards. BV (2.0) = 2,659
Dark Age Variants
- One Mangonel sighted in action during the Dark Age era was described as mounting Autocannons instead of Gauss Rifles.
- Technical Readout: 3085, pp. 96-97, "MNL-3L Mangonel"
- MUL online data for the Mangonel
- Record Sheets: 3085 Print Edition, p. 86
- MUL online data for the Mangonel MNL-3W variant
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged - The Cutting Edge, p. 142
- MUL online data for the Mangonel MNL-4S variant
- Record Sheets: 3145 New Tech, New Upgrades, p. 153