Micropose's MechWarrior III is a 1999 computer game set in the BattleTech universe.
Computer games are explicitly excluded from the list of products that contribute straight Canon to the BattleTech universe while at the same time it was stated that the IP owners are "not in total denial about these sources either"; it has also been stated that fluff from certain official, licensed products (namely certain computer games including those produced by Microprose) can be assumed to be part of the shared universe as long as it is not directly contradicted, and makes sense. On this premise, MechWarrior 3 is considered to be an apocryphal product. However, it is quite possible that this doesn't relate to Trial Under Fire, the game's novelization.
The operations Bulldog and Serpent are concluded, meaning Clan Smoke Jaguar is no more. The Star League Defence Force is gathering, to finally bring the true horrors of war to the Clans themselves and teach them how war is played in the Inner Sphere. The forces are jumping to Strana Mechty to conduct the Great Refusal that will bring peace to the galaxy at last.
However, there are some remaining tasks left according the Jaguars: their last high ranking officer, Galaxy Commander Brendon Corbett is hiding on a secluded, remote planet - named Tranquil - where he's gathering all the remaining Jaguar forces to give a nasty surprise to the Inner Sphere.
Two dropships are detached from the Eridani Light Horse crew named Eclipse and Black Hammer. These are to find all remaining Jaguar forces on Tranquil and put an end to this threat. This little force made up by the two ships is called Damocles Commando. Their task is to destroy all mech production facilities, all ammunition and food plants and hinder any ways the planet could be used as a military base. Eliminating Jaguar forces is a bonus, but isn't necessary, since this is first of all a commando operation.
The crew of the two dropships are assigned to two different task groups, that assume the Jaguars do not have significant forces to fight with, and that they're totally unaware of the upcoming attack.
The dropships are closing in on the planet as the Black Hammer suddenly disappears in an explosion, caused by a naval laser stationed on the planet, showing that the Jaguars may be unaware, but they are far from unprepared.
The mechs that should have been deployed from the ships are scattered or destroyed so the player needs to start the game on his own, without his lancemates and any help. As the player advancing through the game, the support crew that is residing in three MFBs are working well and gather the surviving mechs slowly.
- Mission 1 - Damocles One survivors Lt. Connor Sinclair and Cpl. Thomas Sorenson, who commands the mobile field bases, land near a fishing village after deploying from the DropShip Black Hammer, shortly before it was shot down by Tranquil's SDS system. Sinclair destroys Jaguar missile emplacements and a communications facility en route to rendezvousing with the mobile field bases. Codes recovered from the communications facility allow Damocles One to break Clan encryption and listen in to their communications.
- Mission 2 - Sinclair battles Star Commander Freya's Omega Star in a river valley, destroying their barracks and a heavy missile platform. Sinclair overhears Freya warning that the "south coast projects are in danger," and finds capital WarShip lasers at a construction site. Sorenson reports Damocles One's Dominic "Gunner" Paine has deployed successfully and is moving towards the rendezvous point at the Jaguar BattleMech factory. Sorenson also reports that elements of Damocles Two are attacking a hydroelectric dam, while Captain Taylor has landed the DropShip Eclipse (containing Damocles Four, Five, and Six) to the north.
- Mission 3 - Sinclair and Sorenson fight their way across a bridge en route to their rendezvous with Dominic Paine, destroying Star Commander Freya. Her superior, Star Captain Furey, orders his Trinary to regroup at the "stage site" to protect "the project." Sorenson reports that Damocles Two was destroyed after taking out the hydroelectric dam, while the Eclipse forces are engaging a Trinary led by Galaxy Commander Brendon Corbett.
- Mission 1 - With Damocles Two and Three wiped out, Damocles One takes over their missions. Sinclar and Paine fight their way to the entrance to an underground facility in a lakebed drained by the destruction of the hydroelectric dam. An elevator on an island provides access. Sorenson reports contact with Keith Andrew from Damocles One and Epona Rhi from Damocles Three.
- Mission 2 - Sinclair and Paine infiltrate Gamma Base and battle Star Commander Isaark's garrison. Damocles One destroys the living quarters and transport shuttles at Gamma Base. Star Colonel Ratache Osis orders Isaark to pull back to the chemical plant and destroy tanks of highly corrosive gas - sacrificing Isaark's lance and Gamma Base to eliminate Damocles One, but Sinclair and Paine destroy Isaark's forces before they can blow the storage tanks.
- Mission 3 - Sinclair and Paine continue their rampage through Gamma Base, destroying the access elevator to the surface, and destroying a barracks and warehouse area en route to the 'Mech factory. Star Commander Dreven's forces are unable to halt their advance, and Star Colonel Ratache Osis orders him to detonate charges to bring the mountain above down on top of Damocles One.
- Mission 4 - Sinclair and Paine enter the 'Mech factory through a mining facility and processing bays that provide raw material. Inside the factory, they link up with Damocles Three's Epona Rhi and destroy the facility.
- Mission 1 - Sinclair, Paine, and Rhi enter Operation Area Three, attempting to take on objectives intended for a full company. They destroy a Clan training area's headquarters building, wiping out the cadet forces and engaging Star Captain Drake in personal combat.
- Mission 2 - To proceed north towards rendezvous with the Eclipse, the Damocles Commando attacks a Smoke Jaguar fortress. They receive unexpected support from another Black Hammer survivor, Alan Mattilla.
- Mission 3 - Sinclair leads his team to the crash site of the Black Hammer and defeats Clan forces under Star Commanders Sheryl and Hunter to lay claim to the salvage. They find the ship mostly stripped, with Jaguar convoys hauling it to Durghan City.
- Mission 4 - Sinclair's team attacks a salvage convoy commanded by Star Captain Maya Howell. Star Colonel Ratache Osis, commander of the Jaguar's Omega Cluster, arrives in a Summoner and challenges Sinclair to fight in a Circle of Equals. Sinclair defeats Osis, but the Star Colonel escapes. Intercepted transmissions indicate that Galaxy Commander Brendon Corbett has threatened to reave Ratache Osis' bloodheritage if he fails to stop the Damocles Commando at Durgen. The team recovers target acquisition gear (TAG) equipment from the salvage convoy.
- Mission 5 - Sinclair leads the Damocles Commando against the military city of Durghan, battling Ash Star, 'Mech Star, and Striker Star under Star Captains Furey and Adelmore. Fellow Damocles One member Keith Andrew destroys a heavy gate blocking the corridor to the spaceport with Arrow IV missiles, guided to their targets with the recovered TAG system. The unit is unable to make contact with Andrew afterwards, however.
- Mission 6 - Sinclar leads the Damocles Commando against a fortified Clan surface-to-orbit laser emplacement near the spaceport, hoping to secure an escape vehicle there, as Captain Taylor reports the Eclipse will be unable to reach Sinclair's position. The Commando defeats Striker Star, but is then surprised by the appearance of Star Colonel Ratache Osis, who challenges the Commando members to combat in a Circle of Equals. He promises that a DropShip will be given to the Inner Sphere forces if he loses. However, after his loss, Sinclair receives a message from Galaxy Commander Brendon Corbett, who informs them he had no authority to issue a batchall, and that the promise of a DropShip will not be honored. Captain Taylor confirms that Jaguar reinforcements have arrived and are burning fast for Tranquil, forcing him to recall his search teams and then withdraw offworld.
- Mission 1 - In a desperate attempt to reach the Eclipse before it takes off, Sinclair leads his troops towards its location at top speed. En route, the Damocles Commando destroys communications relays and attacks a train depot to seize supplies, destroying the supply train after it offloads. They engage Jaguar forces led by Star Commander Montague, Star Captain Cameron, and Star Captain Vaughn, under the overall command of Star Colonel Trace Kotare.
- Mission 2 - The Damocles Commando executes a smash and run raid against a village housing dispossessed Jaguar warriors, a laser tower, and a supply depot, blowing bridges as they proceed. Star Colonel Trace Kotare threatens to slaughter his troops himself if they cannot stop the raiders.
- Mission 3 - Sorenson reports that the lead elements of Damocles Four, Five, and Six have already reached the Eclipse. Sinclair and his unit press on, seizing supplies from Phoenix Base, a large Jaguar logistics center. The Damocles Commando defeats the Phoenix Defense units, commanded by Star Colonel Trace Kotare, and spot Galaxy Commander Corbett's personal shuttle on a landing pad in a volcanic caldera. Captain Taylor informs them that all surviving teams from the Eclipse have returned, and that he will be able to pick Sinclair's team up if it can get to the Eclipse with the shuttle.
- Mission 4 - To reach the shuttle pad, the Damocles Commando must overcome the heavily fortified Glacial Ridge base. In the middle of a storm, they breach its walls and cut power to its weapon systems. Star Captain Forrest abandons the base, against Galaxy Commander Corbett's direct orders.
- Mission 5 - Lt. Connor Sinclair enters a geothermal energy facility alone to activate an elevator that will grant the Commando access to the shuttle pad, defeating Jaguar Elementals and light 'Mechs.
- Mission 6 - Galaxy Commander Brendon Corbett challenges the Commando to fight his Star in a Circle of Equals in the caldera. During the fight, Sorenson discovers that the shuttle is wired with explosives, but manages to defuse it. Sinclair and his lancemates destroy Corbett's force and, abandoning their 'Mechs, take the shuttle to rendezvous with the Eclipse in low orbit.
- Galaxy Commander Brendon Corbett
- Star Colonel Trace Kotare
- Star Colonel Ratache Osis
- Star Captain Adelmore
- Star Captain Cameron
- Star Captain Drake
- Star Captain Forrest
- Star Captain Hasaan Furey
- Star Captain Maya Howell
- Star Captain Vaughn
- Star Commander Dreven
- Star Commander Freya
- Star Commander Hunter
- Star Commander Isaark
- Star Commander Montague
- Star Commander Sheryl
- Captain Nathan Taylor
- Lt. Connor Sinclair
- Dominic "Gunner" Paine
- Keith Andrew (killed in action by Clan forces after his Arrow IV launches revealed his position)
- Tessa McCaughnell (died on impact when braking parachute was damaged during deployment from the Black Hammer)
- Corporal Thomas Sorenson
- Epona Rhi
- Alan Mattilla
- Shawna (did not make it out of the Black Hammer)
- Carlos (did not make it out of the Black Hammer)
MechWarrior 3: Pirates Moon Expansion Pack
After the elimination of the last known Jaguars on Tranquil, Sinclair is been promoted to colonel, and reassigned to a remote mining colony: Veil. There's nothing on the planet but one thing: germanium. This mineral is vital to the Inner Sphere, and there are numerous mining facilities scattered on the planet, some handled by the Lyran Alliance, some by the Davions, and some by the Rim Collective. Everything is fine until some bases report cumulative pirate attacks, so Colonel Sinclair is assigned to the task: eliminate all pirate activity.
The player can select two different campaigns: The Eridani Light Horse that tries to purge the pirates from Veil, or the pirates that try to acquire rule over the planet and, more importantly, over the germanium. The Eridani Light Horse campaign is a coherent line that points to the last battle with three pirate bases simultaneously, but the pirate missions are separate ones that relate only loosely with each other. After both party is finished, the player gets a bonus mission, for fun, where he can meet Susie 'One Eye' Ryan face to face.
Following their return to the Inner Sphere and some R&R, Lt. Connor Sinclair, Epona Rhi, Dominic "Gunner" Paine, and Allen Mattilla are assigned to provide security for germanium mining operations at the Madre crater on the Periphery mining outpost of Veil, which is being jointly exploited by the Veil Mining Coalition, an alliance of crews from the Federated Suns, Lyran Alliance, and Rim Collection. Sinclair's lance is based at Corona Base, which is manned by personnel loyal to Victor Steiner-Davion.
Damocles Commando Campaign
- Mission 1 - While Dominic and Allen scout the road to Madre, Connor and Epona respond to distress calls from the Rim Collection's Pelican Base and the germanium transport DropShip Archon's Pride. In the aftermath of the raids, the Katrina and Victor-loyalists both order Connor's lance to protect their main bases of operations, and the pro-Victor miners at Corona Base worry that their germanium will be appropriated by the Lyrans en route to the Federated Suns.
- Mission 2 - Connor and Epona launch a sortie across a deep canyon into the uncharted region where the raiders, now identified as the New Belt Pirates, have set up a staging area. They destroy a communications array and return to Corona. As they return, they receive a warning from Susie "One Eye" Ryan to expect repercussions. Back at Corona, Connor ponders the significance of Susie Ryan commanding this operation alone, without her co-leader Morgan Fletcher.
- Mission 3 - Sinclair and Epona respond to a New Belt Pirate attack on a Rim Collection mining camp, while Dominic Paine reinforces Portal, the base controlling access to the Madre crater. The Damocles Commando defeats the raiders and destroys the base the pirates used to stage the attack, but the mining camp was destroyed leaving only a few survivors. Afterwards, they receive news that Dominic Paine was captured by the pirates before he reached Portal. The Rim Collection faction on Veil openly supports an alliance with the Federated Suns for mutual defense.
- Mission 4 - Connnor and Epona respond to an attack on a germanium convoy, but arrive too late to prevent the pirates from killing its escort, an Avatar pilot with the callsign "Werewolf". They drive off several waves of attackers and escort the convoy to the DropShip. Afterwards, Connor worries about the implications of the pirate 'Mechs having experimental technology like X-Pulse lasers.
- Mission 5 - Sinclair, Rhi, and Mattilla launch an attack on the New Belt Pirate base, hoping to destroy the garrison, the power plant, and the command center. Sinclair hopes to Paine at the base, or at least information that will lead to his location. Information recovered from the command center indicates the pirates are stationed at small outlying camps, but have no data about Dominic Paine.
- Mission 6 - Sinclair's force successfully pursues two pirate germanium convoys that fled the base before the Damocles Commando attack towards an abandoned Rim Collection landing site on the other side of Desolation Ridge.
- Mission 7 - Sinclair pursues Susie "One Eye" Ryan, while Rim Collection forces join with the AFFS garrison to secure Portal amid reports that Collection forces either attacked a Lyran camp or chased pirates through a Lyran camp. Corona Base reports that new DropShips have appeared on sensors and are landing all over the planet. The Damocles Commando fights its way back to Portal. Corona Base reports the pirates have retaken their advance base near Corona and established a camp along the road to Madre.
- Mission 8 - Sinclair receives a report that Dominic Paine has escaped the pirates and returned to Corona Base with important information. Sinclair and his troops defend Portal against a new pirate attack. After the attack is repulsed, Dominic rejoins his unit at Portal and informs them that many of the pirates are actually false-flagged Lyrans, with the goal of seizing complete control of Veil and its germanium deposits.
- Mission 9 - The Lyran forces openly assault the Madre crater, which is defended by the Damocles Commando, Rim Collective troops under Commander Sersi, and Lyran forces still loyal to Victor Steiner-Davion. The Lyran assault is repulsed, but Connor anticipates a new attack by Susie Ryan's real New Belt Pirates.
- Mission 10 - Susie Ryan's New Belt Pirates circumnavigated Portal and have encircled the Madre crater. The Damocles Commando leads the remaining pro-Victor and Rim Collection forces against their staging camps, forcing the pirates to withdraw. Connor is disgusted that the Lyran treachery is swept under the carpet, with the official record indicating only an attack by the New Belt Pirates.
- Mission 1 - The pirates take out a Rim Collective camp.
- Mission 2 - The pirates ambush Connor Sinclair and his Damocles Commando, then wipe out two mining bases.
- Mission 3 - The pirates hijack a convoy carrying germanium and destroy an enemy base.
- Mission 4 - The pirates protect their bases against multiple attacks.
- Mission 5 - The pirates protect their base, then launch a counterattack against the enemy forces' staging base.
- Mission 6 - The pirates defend their base, then counterattack the enemy base camp.
- Mission 7 - The pirates protect their cache of stolen germanium.
- Mission 8 - The pirates defend two bases from simultaneous attack, then launch a counterattack against the enemy base.
- Mission 9 - The pirates assault and destroy two enemy outposts.
- Mission 10 - The pirates seize control of the crater, destroying all remaining defending forces.
The bonus mission becomes available when both Damocles and Pirate campaigns have been completed. The player can configure an assault 'Mech of their choice, and begins on an island with no way off. They must face and defeat seven enemies to win the scenario. The final opponent is Suzie "One Eye" Ryan piloting a Mad Cat.
- Puma (Adder)
- Blackhawk (Nova)
- Shadow Cat
- Cauldron-Born (Ebon Jaguar)
- Vulture (Mad Dog)
- Thor (Summoner)
- Mad Cat (Timber Wolf)
- Daishi (Dire Wolf)
The Elemental also appears, but the player cannot control it. However, the player can pilot the Elemental suit in the expansion pack 'Pirates Moon'.
In the expansion pack there are more 'Mechs and weaponry appearing. The new 'Mechs are: