Internal Security Force
The Internal Security Force (ISF) is the Draconis Combine's official spy agency and secret police force. Though it has existed since the Combine's founding, only recently has its internal organization come to light.  The organization is often regard as the reincarnation of demons by the other successor states but it follows only the tradition of its founder. The Draconis Combine was created sometimes with underhanded tactics like brute force, espionage and others too.  The members of the ISF believe that the Dragon will once rule over the entire humanity and every obstacle , even Coordinators, will put by side to reach that goal.  The enemies of the dragon fear the effectiveness of the ISF. The agents of the agency are loyal to the death. They know the death will come some day and everyone is ready to sacrifice himself for the higher good of the Combine. 
 Status in 3050
Until the arrival of the Clans the agency had only one task: to break the alliance between House Steiner and House Davion by any means. Should that happen the next logical step was to destroy both realms.  The Clans was an enemy to all Inner Sphere power. That changed the entire situation and a temporary cease fire with the other agencies take place. After the epic campaign on Tukayyid the sitiuation turned once more. Some members of the ISF tried to convince the new Coordinator to take the chance for another invasion into the Federated Commonwealth. But Theodore Kurita had other priorities. He had the intention to know the route of the invaders with the goal to devastate their homeworlds.  The Combine facing three equal strong new enemies (Clan Smoke Jaguar, Clan Nova Cat, Clan Ghost Bear) how seemed to be unstoppable. The operative gathered all available information and send them back into the Combine. With that knowledge it was possible to beat the Smoke Jaguars at Wolcott . The successful defense of Luthien against the Clans was another outstanding example.  The battle of Luthien showed the Leaders of the ISF and DCMS that cooperation with former enemies could lead to unexpected results. The non aggression pact (signed on Outreach) with House Steiner-Davion holds at the moment. But the assassination of the FedCom leader (Melissa Steiner-Davion) increase the alert level of the ISF once more. 
- Missions of the ISF
- Gather all available information about the Clans and figure out how to counter them effectly. 
- Capture Clan warrior to get information even under the use of brutal techniques of questioning. 
- to supply restistance movement of clan held worlds, gather information about valuable targets and to seed chaos when ever possible among the occupation forces 
- the established spy networks should be maintained quietly, only with the permission of the coordinator actions are allowed 
- all messages transmitted by comstar are examined for possible information about clan activities
The agency prepares itself for the renewal of hostilities with the clans. For that operation several plans were put in place:
- The ISF college increased their output of operatives 
- Important ISF installations were relocated from Luthien to New Samarkand 
- Should another invasion attempt happen the entire ruling family and important members of the government will transport to New Sarmakand on Jumpships hidden in the Luthien System 
The roots of the agency could be tracked back to the early years of the reign of Shiro Kurita  He established an force with the goal to know what his enemies think and to have the capabilities to use operatives for tasked that the normal military couldn't reach. The organization was very effective. Shiro get informed about possible troop strength, weaknesses and so on. The success of the rapid expansion of his realm was the result of such operations.  After the creation of the Draconis Combine in 2330, Shiro expanded the organization into its shape of today. With the Conquest of the Rasalhague Republic the agency were put to test. The ISF informed the Coordinator for over 48 months with valuable information, but the ignorance of the operatives had catastrophic result. The agency get no notice about the anti combine movement on New Bergen when the insurgent capture a large supply depot. With the material the underground movement harass the occupiers for the next four years.  Another example was the failed attempt to kill member of the Kurita clan by rasalhague rebel forces. The Coordiantor killed himself as a consequence in 2376. 
 von Rohr's dynasty
In the early 25th century the ISF had regard them self as the keeper of the Heritage of its founder. The son of the new coordinator make plans to kill his father, because the new ruler were selfishness and any concerns were about himself. The leaders of the ISF get notice of the plot they to nothing against it. That decision would hunt them in the future.  An illegitimate child of Nihongi Kurita conspire successful against the ruling coordinator Robert Kurita. The agency take no action to prevent the assassination. Nihongi started a war against the Lyran Commonwealth and capture waste territories in the Tamar Pact. But a purification took place within the ISF. All agents how were considered disloyal were executed.  The Terran Hegemony had create a new weapons which changed the modern warfare forever.  All other states in the Inner Sphere tried everything to get the new technology to but so fare only the Lyran Commonwealth could get it during an successful raid at the Hesperuss II facility.  The ISF lacking the man power after the cleaning to get the technology. The DEST were created at the same time under the authority of the Director of the ISF. The DEST raided the lyran world Coventry in 2461 and capture the technology, to build mechs, for the Dragon.  The ISF take matter in its own hand because the ongoing execution of its member was a step to fare. Elements of the organization helped an relative of the surviving Kurita clan to overthrow the terror reign of the von Rohr. 
 Star League Era
The ISF manipulate the events in the early 26th century once more. Coordinator Martin McAllister left no heir and the agency arranged the marriage of McAlister daughter with an Kurita of the original line.  With the birth of Hohiro Kurita his father died under mysterious circumstances (rumor suggest the involvement of the ISF).  Siriwan McAllister-Kurita build over the next 4 decades an power base for her son. When Hohiro get the new Coordiantor he used other methods as its forefathers. He lead the Combine in the Star League. The ISF and all other parts of the Combine were convinced by the propaganda that the Kurita Clan will rule over the entire Inner Sphere as First Lord. The reign of Leonard Kurita is a dark spot in the Star League era. Because a guard of the First Lord was killed by the Kurita when he was drunk. Realizing what he had done Leonard get back to Luthien were he tried to prepare the Combine for the coming war with the Star League. The ISF know that the Dragon cold not survive such an conflict and removed the Coordinator through their own method effectively.  The new Cooridinator increased the budget and power of the ISF for on goal. To rebuild the society of the combine from its foundation along historical japanese feudal structures. All aspects which was regarded as anti combine were removed in light of cutural conformity. That terror reign remained even after the death of Urizen II.
 Fall of the Star League
In the late 28th century the once peaceful Inner Sphere were at the brink of war. The DCMS was under the scrutiny of the ISF and the Coordinator wait for the right moment to get the SLDF off guard but Amaris was faster. The Combine operated with the Usurpator because Amaris took Drago Kurita as hostage. The DCMS provide military aid, because the ISF supplied vital military information about the SLDF movements. The actions of the Kurita ruler were regards as treason on the Star League. The hostages were killed in the last steps of the liberation of Terra from the Amaris terror reign.  Kerensky gather his troops with the goal to leave the Inner Sphere because he foresaw the coming war between the Houselords about the shattered Star League. After the disappearance of the SLDF the era of the Succession Wars began.
 Succession Years
The success of the early years of the 1st Succession Wars could explain by the fact that the ISF get notice of the weakened davion border. The AFFS relocated massive troops strength to the capellan border. The son of the Coordinator used the circumstances to concentrate a large portion of troops in the Galedon district.  The DCMS captured several planets during that time,´. But with the assassination of Minoru Kurita on Ketares IV the tide turned after the happening of the Kentares IV massacre by DCMS troops. The madness of the kuritan ruler get to fare and when he received a toy solider with an SDLF uniform he lost is mind.  Yoguchi Kurita was the new ruler of the Combine and put the ISF under control of the DCMS. That decision cost his life. The ISF doesn't prevent the female lyran assassin Snow Fire to kill Yoguchi in sleep.  The surviving siblings of Yoguchi fight against each other for the control of the Draconis Combine. That era is known as Shadow Wars 
 Shadow Wars
Roweena Kurita used her influence at the ISF director Malcom Katsuyori to increase the power of the agency when they allowed the Inter Security Force entrance into her PRE (People's Reconstruction Efforts). She used the People's Reconstructions Efforts as cover to increase their influence within the society. When the hostilities ended and the coordinator start an investigation about the work of his sister an internal split happen. The leader of the monitoring tried to use the circumstances to purge the ISF from traitors. Several hundred agents lost their lives during the conflict. The PRE was erased but the supporter of Roweena Kurita could install a coup de ta a few decades later. The few surviving operatives spread rumors that the coordiantor had treason ed the Combine to the Federated Suns. A fanatical soldier killed the Coordinator and himself by an bomb. A high commanding officer used is influence to capture Jon Kurita how were behind the fals rumors and killed him. The new Coordinator was settle the distrust within the ISF with the signe of the Davarapala Accords. They include that the ISF are part of the High command and were once more independent.  A part of the events were the conflict with Comstar. When the sister of the Coordinator get a member of Comstar he ordered an ISF team to get her pack to Luthien. There she get a prisoner but the order convinced the Combine ruler by force to release Necess Kurita. The lose of honor make him weak in the eyes of the ISF. The agency took once again no matters to stop the removal of Hugai Kurita. The son of the of Hugai, Hohiro Kurita tried to break the influence of the ISF but failed. The ISF allowed a few years later the successful assassination by his own body guard, a member of the Otomo. 
 Takashi and Theodore
Takashi Kurita used the agency as his own tool to fortified his power base. The new director Subash Indrahar was a close friend to the coordinator. He is also negotiator for the Concord of Keypten. The alliance get weaker by the fanatical hate for mercenaries of the coordinator. The rift expanded in the following two decades further. They were neutral and supporting the efforts of Theodore to strength the Dragon. Operatives of the ISF played a vital part in the creation of the Ghost regiments and the agreement with Comstar to get the Rasalgian indecency in exchange of downgraded ComStar material.
The ISF changed their work field with the arrival of the clans. They were informed by the attempt to invade Luthien by the Clans and prevent the ROM operatives during Operation Scorpion to seize the vital HPG's. The concentration of the Clan treat lead in combination of the reforms at many level lead to the growing of the Black Dragon Society. The members regard them self as the true elite of the combine.
After Theodore Kurita succeeded his father in 3054, he enacted a number of reforms that concerned very conservative elements of Draconis society. In an attempt to appease these factions, Theodore gave Japanese names to many organizations that never had them before, including the branches of the ISF. Prior to Coordinator Theodore, the ISF was sometimes known as metsuke, or All-Seeing Eyes. This name was later assigned to one specific ISF branch.
The first major attempt of this group was the failed invasion of Towne, a FC planet. The ISF 'convinced' the invaders to give up. They tried to get back their lost honor with the failed assassination attempt during a parade at Luthien. This time the involvement of the high ranking DEST member was critical. Because the agents used the machines of mercenaries for the task. The following cleaning of the ranks was brutal. The Dragons used their resources to hire mercenaries for a covered assault of Lyons, the attack of Robinson during the FC- Civl War and also the failed invasion attempt of Alshain which was followed by the dominion wars as a result. The shape of the agency is bad, because the resources are restricted and the numbers of operatives are low. 
Subhash Indrahar was the Director of the ISF for several decades during the time of Takashi Kurita. He is eventually succeeded by his adopted son, Ninyu Kerai Indrahar. He would die in first year of the Jihad and by 3068 by Shakir Jerrar.
Serving in the ISF requires attending the Internal Security College.
 Command Structure
Offical the Coordinator is the head of the ISF but in reality the Director of the agency is the second influential single person throughout the combine. Within the command structure are a five individuals how are the aid for the director. Each of the agents have the capabilities to lead the ISF for an interim term until a new Director are select by the Coordinator. . The common operative is unknown to the society of the Combine and also to the enemy. That circumstances lead to a better information base because no one knows if he speaks to an ISF operative. On clan held worlds the agents act on their own capabilities to disrupt the operation of the enemy. 
Keeping with the Combine's fascination with the number five, the Internal Security Force is divided into five branches. The sixth branch of the ISF is an unofficial group created by the ISF Director.
- Mononokete ("Ghost Hands"): Formerly known as the Covert Operations Division this is the "active intelligence" branch. Agents are trained over two years in a manner similar to DEST team members before they get active mission assignment.  They typically operate in smaller groups and in deep cover assignments. Their focus is directed at external threats, be it a sabotage mission, assassination, or monitoring foreign visitors as a liaison officer. These agents are not used to resolve internal matters.
- Mokonete ("Guiding Hands"): This is the branch most people think of when they think "ISF". Formerly known as the Internal Security Division, Mokonete agents are responsible for identifying foreign intelligence agents and eliminating them. Their other focus is finding and reeducating dissident citizens. 
- Koe No Ryu ("Voice of the Dragon"): Previously called the Propaganda Division. With an agent on the board of directors of every Combine media concern, the Voice of the Dragon is the most benign branch of the ISF. The agents of this branch limit their activities to reporting Inner Sphere and Combine events in a manner consistent with the wishes of the Kurita family. The branch have also the task to create resistance movement on occupied combine world. 
- Metsuke ("All Seeing Eyes"): Previously known as Intelligence Gathering and Analysis Division. The agents of this branch are the passive observers, infiltrators, and sleeper agents who see everything. They do not act themselves, but provide information to the analysis section, which may activate agents of other branches, or DEST commandos to eliminate a threat. The Metsuke owns a small fleet of jumpships with the best surveillance equipment on boards. That ships had the capabilities to gather information even from jump points. 
- Draconis Elite Strike Team: Though technically not a branch of the ISF, the DCMS MechWarriors assigned to this branch frequently provide the "muscle" needed to eliminate ISF-identified threats. Members of these teams are easily the equal of the LIC Loki teams or the DMI's Rabid Foxes. Before getting a member of the DEST every apprentice must survive the initial test. Then after 48 months of training and indoctrination. The estimated numbers were during the 3050s between 5,000 to 6000.  They were not given a Japanese name because their branch has such a fearsome reputation across the Inner Sphere. Several of these operatives were seduced by the arguments of the kokuryu-kai, leading several of them to revolt against the Coordinator.
- Ryu no Musukosan ("Sons of the Dragon"): Not an official branch of the ISF, this group of agents was formed by Subhash Indrahar during his tenure as the head of the ISF. They were fanatically loyal to the Director, carrying out secret missions that no one knew about. At one point, Theodore Kurita was offered membership in the organization. Ninyu Kerai Indrahar, Subhash's adopted son and friend of Theodore Kurita, later controlled the group. In 3028, Jerry Akuma was under consideration for membership before his mishandling of Wolf's Dragoons compelled the Director to order his death.
The ISF has a complex relationship with the Combine's unofficial intelligence service, the Order of Five Pillars (O5P) headed by the Keeper of the House Honor. At times the two agencies respect and complement each other well, but at other times in the Combine's history the two agencies have engaged in a series of covert wars.
 Ghost Regiments
The creation of the Ghost units in the aftermath of the 4th Succession war give Theodore Kurita a new tool.  Because the members lacking the advanced training of the common agent their survival in the underworld give them equal skills. The Coordinator used the network of the yakuza to supply resistance movement on clan controlled worlds and they provide also an alternative information base when needed.  The yukuza developed unusual ways to fight the enemies. The mechforces of the units are from former mercenary how disappeared with out a trace suggest some rumour. The units are used in situation when regular forces would have trouble because their honor bound action. The yakuza had no such ethical restrictions and used every possibility to reach their goal. The through potential of the Ghost are well known. The successful escape of the Dragon heir from Edo by the help of the yakuza is an impressive example. 
Among the many secret base within the Draconis Combine two are regard as HQ to the organization. One on New Sarmakand and the other on Luthien. The complex on New Sarmakand can hold a maximum of 20,000 people and in an event of an attack with atomic, biological or chemical weapons the base could be sealed within 120 seconds.  The complex is defended by 6 mech companies. You have only access to the HQ by the system of shuttle cars which are also connect the ISF college with a spaceport. The security measures are tide. On the ground the complex is surround with an chemical which destroy all material immediately. Should an aircraft enter air space within 200 km of the HQ the plan will be destroy without an warning.  Luthien houses also an HQ in the near to the Imperial City. The structure could withstand all possible attacks and is also heavily guarded. The Tactical Command Center on Pesht was build to mimic the SDLF Brian Cache but was soon abandoned by the military. The DEST acquired it for the training of new members.  The defense of the Center are equal if the other bases. It exit no direct road to it. A network of sensors and automated weapons kill every enemy. The air space are guarded by weapons platforms in low orbit above the Command Center.  The training for the candidates are brutal. 5 trainees built a team. When they graduate successful they stay together. 
 ISF Branch Insignia
- ↑ House Kurita (The Draconis Combine), p. 99, "The ISF is not included in any Ministry. Its doings are shrouded in such secrecy that it officially does not exist."
- ↑ A Guide to Covert Ops, p. 51 - "Internal Security Force"
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Intelligence Operations Handbook , p.48
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 4.6 4.7 4.8 Intelligence Operations Handbook , p.49
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 5.5 5.6 5.7 5.8 Intelligence Operations Handbook, p. 50
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 6.4 6.5 6.6 Intelligence Operations Handbook, p. 51
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 7.3 7.4 7.5 7.6 7.7 7.8 7.9 Intelligence Operations Handbook, p. 52
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 8.3 8.4 Intelligence Operations Handbook, p. 53
- ↑ House Kurita (The Draconis Combine), p. 49
- ↑ Covert Ops. p. 49-51
- ↑ Technical Readout: 3058 Upgrade, p. 146
- ↑ Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, pp. 76-77, Shakir Jerrar's profile - Includes replaced Ninyu Keari Indrahar in '68.
- ↑ Masters and Minions: The StarCorps Dossiers, p. 18 Shakir Jerrar profile listing noted his succession.
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 Intelligence Operations Handbook , p.55
- ↑ House Kurita: The Draconis Combine, p. 117
- ↑ A Guide to Covert Ops, p. 52 - "Internal Security Force"
- ↑ 17.0 17.1 Intelligence Operations Handbook, p. 57
- ↑ 18.0 18.1 Intelligence Operations Handbook, p. 56
- ↑ Intelligence Operations Handbook, p. 59
- ↑ Black Dragon
- ↑ Heir to the Dragon, p. ??
- ↑ Heir to the Dragon, p. ??
- ↑ Heir to the Dragon, p. ??, Ninyu Kerai is the ISF officer assigned to the Legion of Vega when Theodore takes command.
- ↑ Black Dragon
- ↑ Wolves on the Border, p.??
- ↑ 26.0 26.1 26.2 26.3 26.4 Intelligence Operations Handbook, p. 60
- ↑ 27.0 27.1 27.2 27.3 27.4 Intelligence Operations Handbook, p. 61