Mustang (Conventional Fighter)
- Catalyst Releases New Map Pack, New Fiction From Michael Stackpole In March Update
- Did You Know? - Retro BattleTech Games - MechWarrior 2: The Clans
- Catalyst Games Releases Succession Wars Record Sheets And Reprinted BattleTech Manual To Get Everyone Up To Date
- Did You Know? - Retro BattleTech Games - MechWarrior
- Forever Faithful, Blaine Lee Pardoe’s Latest BattleTech Novel, Now Available For Pre-Order
- Read more →
|Use|| Air-To-Ground Fire Support |
|Chassis Type (Size)||Fixed Wing (Medium)|
|Targeting Tracking System||Advanced Fire Control|
|Armor||BAR-6 Primitive Armor|
|Crew|| Total Crew = 9
Built with Primitive Technology during the later days of the Age of War era, the Mustang owes its existence to First Prince James Davion and the development of the Heavy Autocannon in mid-25th Century.
In parallel development with the Terran Hegemony, Prince James Davion saw the potential of the new heavy autocannon the Hegemony had developed. After the initial prototypes of the autocannon became available, he pushed to have his military create a variety of new combat units designed around it. The Mustang was one of the many early units that would be built around the use the Class-10 Autocannon in the Federated Suns.
The Mustang was not the most effective aircraft, especially in the air-to-air role. Its heavy autocannon proved to be superb in defeating the armor of most opponents it had to face on the battlefield when it was first deployed. Two decades of production would follow, with thousand of units ordered. By 2475, the Federated Suns would perfect modern technology, rendering the Mustang obsolete.
Weapons and Equipment
Built with Primitive Technology, not unlike technology used to build civilian Support Fixed-Winged Aircraft in later centuries. Due to this method of construction, the vehicle requires a larger crew that a normal combat vehicle would normally have. While its engine was powerful enough move the aircraft at reasonable speed, its armor would quickly make it vulnerable to modern ground fire, with only 3.5 tons of Primitive Armor, which was equal to BAR-6 Grade civilian commercial armor. The fighter was powered by an ICE type engine, which gave it modest speed for its time. The craft had 7.5 tons of fuel, giving it ample range for long-range missions.
Intended as a strike craft, the Mustang's signature weapon, the Prototype Class-10 Autocannon was mounted in its nose. Sixteen rounds of ammunition were fed from the aircraft's center fuselage. Problems with P-AC/10 would include the gun jamming, instability while firing the gun, and not being able carry as much ammunition as would the later modern Class-10 Autocannon. Additionally, it carried four 4-tubed Short-Range Missile launchers, two per wing with two tons of ammunition.
The image of the Mustang Fighter was originally used by the Meteor conventional Heavy Fighter.
The Mustang Fighter's Equipment Rating is D/D-X-X. This equipment rating is not the upgraded version used with addition of the Dark Age Era.
The Mustang Fighter has the following Design Quirks;
- MUL Profile for Mustang Fighter (Standard) - BV2 and Introduction Date
- Experimental Technical Readout: Primitives, Volume 4, p. 31 Mustang Fighter/Record Sheet - Battle value 2 noted on record sheet.
- Experimental Technical Readout: Primitives, Volume 4, p. 12 Mustang Fighter - Background information.
- Experimental Technical Readout: Primitives, Volume 4, p. 12 & 16 Mustang Fighter/Game Rules - Stats and game rule information related to the Prototype nature of the AC/10.