Naval Particle Projector Cannon
The Naval Particle Projector Cannon (or Naval PPC) weapon family is a unique energy weapon. Like the smaller version mounted on 'Mechs, the NPPC fires a concentrated beam of ions at a target, causing large amounts of damage to armor via impact and thermal transfer. The weapon's lethality rivals that of larger autocannon, but NPPC's generate a large amount of waste heat. Too large to be mounted on anything smaller than a WarShip, Naval PPC's are massive weapons that also served as a planet-based SDS installation. In contrast to the Naval Autocannon, inaccurate SDS energy weapons fire from the planet wouldn't return to the planet's surface, causing damage.
The Naval PPC family is divided into three classifications:
The weapons were first developed by the Terran Alliance in 2305. The Naval PPCs were foundation that would lead to development of the ground based smaller versions. Unlike the ground based counterpart, as of 3067 no extended range or snub nose versions of the Naval PPC are known to exist. Like their laser and autocannon counterparts, Naval PPC's are not good at engaging targets massing less than 500 tons. As a result, the SDS system frequently used standard LRM missile launchers to engage AeroSpace Fighters, and WarShips used conventional weapons to engage small, fast moving targets.
- ↑ BattleSpace Rulebook, p. 39
- ↑ Tactical Operations, p. 333 Naval PPC (Capital PPC) - Fluff shows that Naval PPC came first, and it estiablishment paved way for regular battlfield PPC be developed.
- ↑ Technical Readout: 2750, p. 122 - "Explicitly states that these weapons may only fire on DropShip-sized or larger targets".
- ↑ Total Warfare, p. 303 - "Provides to-hit penalty to capital weapons info".
- ↑ AeroTech 2, p. 41
- ↑ BattleSpace Rulebook, p. 38