New Avalon Crucis March Militia
|New Avalon Crucis March Militia|
|Unit Profile (as of 3145)|
|Nickname||"The Little Foxes"|
|Parent Formation||Crucis March Militia|
In common with the other March Militias found across the Federated Suns, the New Avalon Crucis March Militia or New Avalon CrMM was formed in 2754 as a result of the Preparedness Act enacted by First Prince Roger Davion in 2735. Roger established a formal training programme aimed at increasing the general readiness level of the Armed Forces of the Federated Suns reserve forces and formalized the structure of the March Militias, bringing the planetary militias into a common structure.
Roger established a system whereby each of the Marches within the Federated Suns conducted internal wargames every two years, with those wargames being inspired by the Martial Olympiad conducted by the Star League Defense Force every four years. Each March Militia was formed as an ad-hoc brigade drawing on the winners from each planetary militia across each Combat Region. These ad hoc brigades then competed against each other at a March level to earn the title of "Best Prepared" March Militia within each of the three Marches.
The wargames proved to be very popular and by 2750 the prestige that was associated with the "Best Prepared" title inspired troops in every combat region to give their best effort, with some commands making plans years in advance to try and ensure that they were ready. After the close of the 2754 games First Prince John Davion activated all of the combat region commands as federal troops and formed them into the March Militias; while this move was contraversial and provoked a flurry of judicial cases opposing the creation of the commands, it also added twenty BattleMech-equipped combat commands to the AFFS in a single stroke. Many of the planets that provided troops for the games were resentful of having their best militia troops pressed into federal service, and it would be 2763 before the last of the cases worked its way through the courts. With the final ruling going in favor of Prince John, he then moved to allay many of the fears expressed by the planets involved by laying down specific instructions that the March Militias wouldn't be deployed outside their home combat regions except under a small number of very rare and clearly-defined exceptions.
Like the other Crucis March Militias the New Avalon CrMM was well-equipped, much more so than the average Capellan March Militia or Draconis March Militia - to the extent that the New Avalon CrMM earned the unofficial nickname "Sixth Davion Guard" - and soon established a constant training regime. The New Avalon CrMM was highly active, leading to a readiness level greater than might have been expected of a militia formation, and acted as a mobile reserve for the New Avalon Combat Region and a staging ground through which planetary militia soldiers could move on into the AFFS, while retiring AFFS personnel moved into the March Militia to pass on their knowledge and experience. The New Avalon CrMM was one of ten March Militia brigades founded within the Crucis March in 2754, with the other nine being the Anjin Muerto, Bastian, Broken Wheel, Islamabad, Kestrel, Malagrotta, Marlette, Point Barrow and Tsamma Crucis March Militias.
Fourth Succession War
The New Avalon Crucis March Militia did deploy to New Aragon during the Fourth Succession War, but this was a rare exception to their usual ceremonial duties. They defended a supply depot from the 1st Chesterton Voltigeurs.
FedCom Civil War
During the FedCom Civil War they proclaimed their loyalty to Katherine Steiner-Davion and engaged forces loyal to her brother. These forces were the 1st Davion Guards , and the fighting effectively destroyed the New Avalon CrMM.
The Dark Age
The New Avalon CrMM was rebuilt in 3082. They spent the next three years training against units of the Davion Brigade of Guards. Though structured as a Light Combat Team, the unit was oversized. Each 'Mech company had four lances, the armor and cavalry regiments each had four battalions, and the unit had a regiment of attack and reconnaissance VTOLs in addition to the transport assets used by a reinforced battle armor regiment. Like all post-Jihad Crucis March Militia units, they have a company of IndustrialMechs and combat engineers to work on civil engineering projects. They were stationed on New Avalon in 3085.
They remained on New Avalon in 3145, but subcommands from the unit were frequently attached to other front-line forces to maintain their skills. As a result, the New Avalon Crucis March Militia was unofficially referred to as the "Fifth Davion Guards".
The unit is skilled in urban fighting.
New Avalon Crucis March Militia (Veteran/Fanatical)
- - One BattleMech regiment
- - Two armor regiments
- - Three infantry regiments
- - One mobile artillery battalion
- - Two aerospace wings, each of eighteen aerospace fighters
- - The New Avalon CrMM was stationed on New Avalon at this point in time.
New Avalon Crucis March Militia (Regular/Reliable)
- CO: Major General Edward Valos
New Avalon CrMM (Regular/Reliable)
New Avalon CrMM (Regular/Reliable)
- CO: Leftenant General Carl Gustafson
- CO: Lieutenant General Russel Payne
- CO: Lieutenant General Polly Caplan
- CO: Lieutenant General Hank Swengly
New Avalon CrMM Infantry Brigade (5 Regiments/Regular/Reliable)
- CO: Lieutenant General Devon Hyams
New Avalon CrMM LCT (Veteran/Reliable)
- CO: Major General Germaine Hoover
New Avalon CrMM Aerospace Brigade (Regular/Reliable)
- CO: Rear Admiral Yasmin Drage
New Avalon CrMM Armor Brigade (Veteran/Fanatical)
- CO: Leftenant General Abdullah Khan
New Avalon CrMM Infantry Brigade (Veteran/Fanatical)
- CO: Leftenant General Jericho Morris
- CO: Major General Geraldine Hoover
New Avalon CrMM Aerospace Wing (Veteran/Fanatical)
- CO: Rear Admiral Forrest Watson
New Avalon CrMM Armor Brigade (Elite/Fanatical)
- CO: Major General Randy Meyers
New Avalon CrMM Infantry Brigade (Regular/Fanatical)
- CO: Major General Irene Wilson
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1, p. 97
- Field Report 2765: Federated Suns, p. 21, "Federated Suns March Militias"
- Field Report 2765: Federated Suns, p. 22, "Regimental Status"
- Field Manual: Federated Suns, p. 117, "Militia Profile"
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 134, "Crucis March Militia"
- FedCom Civil War (sourcebook), p. 60
- FedCom Civil War (sourcebook), p. 77
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 65
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 71, "AFFS Deployment Table - 3085"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 82
- House Davion (The Federated Suns), p. 138 (pdf version), "New Avalon Combat Region"
- 20 Year Update, p. 22, "AFFC Deployment Table - 3050"
- Objective Raids, p. 15, "AFFC Deployment Table - 3054"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 91, "Armed Forces of the Federated Suns"
- Field Report 2765: Federated Suns, p. 29, "Armed Forces Federated Suns Deployment Map 2765"
- Historical: War of 3039 , p. 136