Outpost (DropShip class)
- Devlin Stone's Origins Revealed
- BattleTech Is Coming In April!
- Blaine Lee Pardoe Provides Fascinating Look At “Twilight Of The Clans” Origins
- Year of Battle Armor: Unit 1 - Corona Heavy Battle Armor
- Community Outreach - Interview With Brent Evans, Lead BattleTech Developer At Catalyst Games
- Read more →
|Manufacturer||Kirin Orbital Works SJ-3|
|Safe Thrust||2.5 g|
|Max Thrust||4 g|
|Armament|| 16xER Large Lasers|
26xMedium Pulse Lasers
|Armor||70 tons Ferro-Aluminum|
|Escape Pods/Life Boats||10/5|
|Heat Sinks||195 Double Heat Sinks|
|BV (1.0)|| 1,283|
Deployed by Clan Hell's Horses in 3063, the Outpost-class DropShip was the result of two years of hard work. In 3061, Horse's saKhan Tanya DeLaurel ordered her engineers to create a combined-arms transport vessel that could operate as a forward command post. The engineers looked at other combined-arms transports like the Excalibur, but their greatest inspiration came from the Fortress class DropShip.
Unlike the Union-C and Overlord-C conversions, the Outpost is a completely new design. Using the Fortress as a model, the engineers equipped the Outpost with more armor than the Overlord-C and a full suite of energy-based weapons. The design's shining feature, however, is its ability to carry a Star each of BattleMechs, heavy tanks, and Elementals. Supplementing these ground forces are two Points of AeroSpace Fighters, which can support the ground troops or defend the Outpost. This combined-arms support is ideal for the Hell's Horses approach to war.
Incorporating a lesson from Operation Revival, the Outpost uses mostly energy weapons to ease logistical needs. The suite of Extended Range Large Lasers and Medium Pulse Lasers will quickly strip the armor from any attacker. To keep the pressure on enemy forces while the cooling system dissipates the laser's heat, the Outpost uses a set of ammunition efficient Streak missile launchers. Though the ship has more armor than an Overlord the Outpost mounts thirteen Anti-Missile Systems to destroy incoming missile fire before the armor is tested.
Split among five cargo bays, the Outpost mounts handling equipment for every element of the Horse's arsenal. Bay 1, located at the nose of the ship, carries four AeroSpace Fighters. The next bay carries a Star of BattleMechs or OmniMechs. Bay 3 is the combat vehicle bay, carrying a Star's worth of tanks. An Elemental Star is assigned to Bay 4, and Bay 5 carries 316 tons of supplies for the other warriors.
- Outpost Defender
- Developed by Clan Hell's Horses after they relocated to the Inner Sphere, this variant of the Outpost carries ten OmniFighters and five Points of battle armor. In exchange, it mounts two Killer Whale and five Arrow IV missile launchers in the nose. When attacking a world, the Killer Whale missiles worry WarShips and once on the ground the Outpost Defender's Arrow missile launchers can provide fire support for ground troops. The ER Large Lasers remain, but the Anti-Missile Systems and Streak SRM-6 launchers have been removed. In their place are twelve Laser Anti-Missile Systems. Though intended to act as a hardened position, the Outpost Defender carries fifty-six tons of Ferro-Aluminum armor, fourteen fewer tons of armor than the standard Outpost. BV (2.0) = 15,825
- 3070 Refit
- This version of the Outpost replaces all the Streak SRM systems with HAG/30s. The troop carrying capability has also been altered, replacing the AeroSpace Fighter bays with provisions for ten ProtoMechs and an extra Star of Elementals. The more heat efficient weapons allows the 3070 upgrade Outpost to carry only 170 double heat sinks. The remaining space has gone to the cargo bay, which can now carry 1,428 tons of supplies. BV (2.0) = 13,151
- online date for the Outpost (DropShip class)
- Technical Readout: 3067, p. 192, "Outpost DropShip Profile"
- AeroTech 2 Record Sheets, p. 242
- Record Sheets: 3067 Unabridged, p. 318
- Technical Readout: Prototypes, p. 200
- Record Sheets: Prototypes, p. 99
- Record Sheets: 3067 Unabridged, p. 319