- Catalyst Releases New Map Pack, New Fiction From Michael Stackpole In March Update
- Did You Know? - Retro BattleTech Games - MechWarrior 2: The Clans
- Catalyst Games Releases Succession Wars Record Sheets And Reprinted BattleTech Manual To Get Everyone Up To Date
- Did You Know? - Retro BattleTech Games - MechWarrior
- Forever Faithful, Blaine Lee Pardoe’s Latest BattleTech Novel, Now Available For Pre-Order
- Read more →
Paolo Varellas (b. ???? - d. ????) was the Planetary Governor of the Terran Hegemony world of Dieron during the closing years of the Star League era. Varellas was Governor when Stefan Amaris launched Operation APOTHEOSIS in 2766, the coup that secured him control of the vast majority of the Hegemony; due to an error or incompetence on the part of the Rim Worlds Army commander on the ground, General Tolstin Eukai, the Republican naval forces secured both jump points in the system according to schedule, but the Republican forces on the ground failed to secure the planetary HPG.
With communications in the system still active and the SLDF still in control of all four Castles Brian, distress signals from the jump points reached Dieron seventy-five minutes after Eukai's forces should have begun moving. As soon as the distress signals were received, both Varellas and the local SLDF military commander, Major General Annika Tellman, declared a state of emergency. Varellas encouraged all of the citizens of Dieron to implement peaceful resistance against the occupation, and while the Republican forces secured control of most of Dieron, tens of thousands of people were able to take shelter inside the Castles Brian while tens of thousands more regular, reserve and retired members of the SLDF took up arms, forming perhaps the most dangerous anti-Republic resistance movement within the boundaries of the former Terran Hegemony, in part because of Varellas' actions.
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 82-83, "Fortress Dieron"