QR 243 (Satellite)
|QR 243 HPG Relay Satellite|
|Use|| HPG Communication Relay |
|Type (Shape)||Satellite (Medium)|
|Tech Base||Clan (Advanced)|
|Introduced||Late Succession Wars era|
The QR 243 HPG Relay Satellite was developed by the Clans, which was design to provide interstellar communication capacities from orbit. The Inner Sphere first saw use of these satellites originally when the Invading Clans deployed them during Clan Invasion and were key to allowing continuous flow of communication between Invading Clans to their people in the Clan Homeworlds and distant outposts in the Deep Periphery. The Clans had deployed these satellites to maximized their surveillance of systems occupied by enemy force as well as normal communication between allied systems.
Though these satellites are common among HPG Relay Satellites types, they were uncommon among the Inner Sphere. This was due to advanced technology used to create the small Hyper Pulse Generator. QR 243 was exclusively being made and used by the Clans by the 31st Century. One such satellite was discovered in 3086, in outer parts of the Coventry system. This satellite "Coventry QR 243" origins are a mystery and it exploded as soon as salvage teams tried to handle the craft.
In Clan Space, during the Wars of Reaving, the Society disrupted communication causing the HPG system there to go unused for fear of functional HPGs carrying viruses or being outright destroyed by the conflict. Many of these satellites seeded along the Exodus Road in the Deep Periphery, were also knocked out.
Equipment & Capabilities
The QR 243's main feature is its HPG Relay system, which uses a small 12 ton Ground Mobile HPG. It's advanced communication system allows for maximum of 50 light years. Typically QR 243 is deployed various locations, maximizing it's effect range and to aid it mission relay signals from distant HPG Stations.
With this in mind, it was designed to deployed in various locations from solar systems to the deep voids of interstellar space. To allow the satellite operate in those settings, a small Solar Sail is mounted in rear to provide power if positioned in a solar system close enough to a sun. A 3.5 ton Fusion Reactor is fitted with three ton fuel capacity for deep space locations for a year.
A seven ton worth communication equipment is provided, to allow the Relay to coordinate with spy and surveillance satellites tied into QR 243 which would relay ally forces out of system. The satellite has 1 ton of BAR-5 Rated alloy, which gives it the minimum amount of protection, keeping it safe from most basic of space debris.
It has been equipped with a Fusion Engine to provide power so it can deploy in secluded locations with little notice. It has two front-mounted Searchlights to provide guidance should it be needed for a resupply vehicle. It also has 1 ton worth of Communication Equipment for basic communications purposes.
- SneakSat - Inner Sphere Stealthy conventional spy satellite
- D40 Communication Satellite - Small Military communication satellite
The QR 243's Equipment Rating is F/X-FF (Advanced) and burns .005 of fuel per day when using Fusion Engine. It's record sheet is only found in Interstellar Players 3: Interstellar Expeditions.
The design's name and function were not fleshed out until IP3:IE was published, however the summary of QR 243 spells out this was used extensively as one chief spaceborne HPG systems used by the Clans to communicate with forces in the Inner Sphere.
- MUL Profile for QR 243 Relay Satellite (Standard) - Era and BV2 only. No Intro year.
- Interstellar Players 3: Interstellar Expeditions, pp. 111 & 118 - BV2.
- Interstellar Players 3: Interstellar Expeditions, p. 111 - QR 243 HPG Relay Satellite "Background information"
- The Wars of Reaving, p. 109 "Communication Breakdown" - "Sub-section notes of HPGs going down, mobile ones on Warships lost. QR 243s are likely similarly effected by these viruses.
- The Wars of Reaving, P.119, "Spreading Contagion" - Deep Periphery HPG Relay network mentioned as being disrupted by war.
- Interstellar Players 3: Interstellar Expeditions, p. 111 - QR 243 HPG Relay Satellite "Background information notes these satellites were used in Deep Periphery, at various facilities which would have been part of the Exodus Road."
- Interstellar Players 3: Interstellar Expeditions, p. 111 - QR 243 HPG Relay Satellite "Stats