- Did You Know? - Fan made TRO 3028 is better than the originals!
- BattleTech Technology - Today!
- Someone did the math on how many 'Mechs you kill in MechWarrior 3
- A chat with MechWarrior Online Champs: Empyreal's prtNspz - Full Interview
- Unstoppable: A chat with MechWarrior Online Champs, Empyreal's prtNspz
- Read more →
The Ramblin' Wreck was a Union-class DropShip, possibly modified to carry (at least) two combat vehicles and a platoon of infantry in addition to at least two and, it is implied, up to twelve BattleMechs as of 3028 (see Notes).
After the discovery of the Helm Memory Core, House Steiner hurriedly dispatched the Ramblin' Wreck under Captain Carleton on "Operation Prometheus", a recovery mission to the Rosetta system in search of a Star League weapons cache called SLD 601. Since the Helm Memory Core was being freely distributed, it was feared that another agency might beat House Steiner to the prize if they delayed too long. The hastily assembled mission was supported by combat units from Hansen's Roughriders, namely two BattleMechs (an Atlas and a Cicada), two Patton tanks and a platoon of light infantry.
The Ramblin' Wreck made planetfall on Rosetta on 12 October 3028 and left some two days later, after a combination of a local stellar event and local resistance had turned the recovery mission into a failure after the Star League facility had already been found.
- The Hansen's Roughriders forces carried aboard the Ramblin' Wreck comprise of two BattleMechs (in 'Mech bays), two vehicles and a platoon of light infantry, suggesting that the Ramblin' Wreck must somehow be modified; yet the ship was supposed to still be able to carry altogether twelve BattleMechs if any could be salvaged. It stands to reason the two fighter cubicles and possibly some of the 'Mech bays were removed to make room for two vehicle bays and bunks for the infantry platoon, plus extra cargo space. It should also be noted that Unions are infamous for their barely adequate life support and air filtration system, suggesting this in particular had to be upgraded to allow for the transportation of an infantry platoon.
- The Ramblin' Wreck travelled from the Rosetta system's zenith jump point to the target world for the better part of seven weeks (and all the way into the periphery before that), suggesting its stores for fuel and consumables must be greater than on a standard Union, especially considering the extra infantry platoon carried.
- 25 Years of Art and Fiction, p. 48
- 25 Years of Art and Fiction, p. 50