Medium Recoilless Rifle
The Medium Recoilless Rifle is one of three types of recoilless rifles in use by military forces of the thirty-first century. Based on designs dating back to the mid-twentieth century, recoilless rifles launch a high-explosive fin-stabilized rocket at a target while simultaneously venting high-velocity gas, known as backblast, out the rear end of the weapon. The backblast can be dangerous, which for the medium rifle extends out to a range of 5 meters, but allows for recoilless fire and greater thrust potential. The result is a rocket traveling at greater velocities than normal missiles, making them effectively immune to anti-missile systems and contributing to their growing popularity as these systems proliferate.
Medium recoilless rifles are shoulder-fired weapons but require a second crewman to load the weapon. The most common version of this rifle, the Model BS-20, is produced by the Lyran corporation Steins Armaments and has been in production since 2749 when it was first ordered for the Star League Defense Forces. It can also fire a variety of ordnance types except for FASCAM and flares.
- Item:Recoilles Rifle, Medium
- Equipment Rating: C/B-B-A/D
- Armor Piercing/Base Damage: (D)
- Range: 60/200/390/640 meters
- Shots: 1
- Cost/Reload: 2000/*
- Affiliation: -
- Mass/Reload: 32kg/2kg
- Notes: Crew: 2; Backblast 5m
- Lostech, p. 41, "Recoilless Rifle - Light Recoilless Rifle"
- A Time of War, p. 276, "Recoilless Rifles"
- A Time of War, p. 274, "Recoilless Rifles - Table"