- Catalyst Releases New Map Pack, New Fiction From Michael Stackpole In March Update
- Did You Know? - Retro BattleTech Games - MechWarrior 2: The Clans
- Catalyst Games Releases Succession Wars Record Sheets And Reprinted BattleTech Manual To Get Everyone Up To Date
- Did You Know? - Retro BattleTech Games - MechWarrior
- Forever Faithful, Blaine Lee Pardoe’s Latest BattleTech Novel, Now Available For Pre-Order
- Read more →
|Unit Profile (as of 3145)|
|Nickname||Strength of the Dragon|
In 3026 Takashi Kurita ordered the creation of a BattleMech unit trained in the tactics of the Wolf's Dragoons mercenary unit. He later ordered that the Ryuken were to be split into several companies and each was to expand to regimental size. The Ryuken-san was one of the units formed.
- 1 History
- 2 Officers
- 3 Tactics
- 4 Composition History
- 5 References
- 6 Bibliography
A notoriously tight-lipped unit, the Ryuken-san rarely commented one way or the other about the acceptability of a military mission, nor did they communicate reliably with the upper chain of command (suggested as a result of their experiences on Misery). The unit sought to perform the mission exactly as directed, with no attempts at casual interpretation of the orders nor a supporting deportment that implied a responsibility towards allied units, if not so directed. This attitude was apparently incorporated at the indoctrination phase for newer members, and documented in one well-known incident when the unit failed to report an enemy's apparent lack of expected numbers, resulting in a coordinated retreat by the regiment, and heavy casualties for their fellow Draconian unit.
4th Succession War
War of 3039
The Ryuken-san started the War of 3039 on Dieron with Tai-sa Noritake Kansa as the commanding officer. Michi Noketsuna, Warlord of the Dieron Military District, ordered the Ryuken-san and Ryuken-ni to raid the Terran Corridor worlds of New Earth, Procyon, Caph, and Saffel in an attempt to deter further Lyran and Davion thrusts into the district.
In early May, the Ryuken arrived at the first target world of New Earth where the Ryuken-san moved on to the second target world of Procyon as soon as their jumpships recharged. The Ryuken-san found only militia until the 5th Lyran Regulars landed on May 18th. The Ryuken-san outclassed their opponents and destroyed an entire enemy battalion. The Ryuken-ni rendezvoused with the Ryuken-san at Procyon and the Ryuken-san broke off their attack to move on to Caph.
The June raid on the third target world of Caph proved devastating to the Ryuken-san. Intelligence had placed the 3rd Crucis Lancers on the planet. Unknown to the Draconis Combine, additional forces of the the Davion Assault Guards, the 33rd Avalon Hussars, three understrength Wolf's Dragoons regiments, and the Wolf's Dragoon's Zeta Battalion. The Ryuken attacked the military base outside of the city of Aswan. The 3rd Crucis Lancers were initially overwhelmed until reinforcements from the Assault Guards and Wolf's Dragoons arrived. The Ryuken made a daring strike against the Hussar's base that then allowed the Ryuken to pull off the planet with heavy to severe losses.
The fourth target world of Saffel was found to be nearly undefended when the Ryuken arrived. They took command of the world and were ordered to claim it for the Draconis Combine by Warlord Michi Noketsuna. The Ryuken-san remained there for the rest of the war until they were redeployed to Niles sometime in 3040.
Ryuken-san was initially deployed to protect Pesht during Operation Bulldog. In 3062 elements of Ryuken-san were dispatched by the DCMS High Command to survey a Star League Defense Force chemical and biological weapons facility in the Periphery.
Federated Suns Incursion
Ryuken-san was hit by a Black Dragon Society uprising in 3068. For the next two years they fought against the Society's sympathizers, eventually destroying them completely. Ordered to Proserpina, the Ryuken-san finally arrived there in 3073 after suffering a series of misjumps, JumpShip problems, and damage from possible sabotage. These mishaps cost the Ryuken-san approximately a third of their strength.
Assigned to General Belle Lee's assault on Sydney, the Ryuken-san (like every other unit assigned to the Sydney attack) suffered serious losses at the hands of the 7th Division and 26th Division. By the time they returned to their duty station on Proserpina, they were down to one third of their pre-Jihad strength.
The regiment saw the DCMS High Command's acceptance of their petition to rebuild as a sign that stains on their honor from their Jihad misadventures were forgiven. At the same time, they supported Ryuken-ni in their petition to rebuild, which strained Ryuken-san's relationship with the High Command. They were stationed on Kesai IV in 3145.
In 3145 Ryuken-san raided Sylvan. They destroyed the planetary militia and some small mercenary commands. Later during the invasion into the Federated Suns Ryuken-san was sent to attack the Point Barrow Academy Training Battalion. Rather than send their entire force, they dispatched a battalion to deal with the cadets. Unfortunately for the Ryuken-san the cadets were ready for them and inflicted three times as many losses on the Combine unit. They were based on Protection in 3145..
When they were formed in 3026 Ryuken-san was commanded by Chu-sa Jasper Hickam. The commanding officer in 3039 was Tai-sa Noritake Kansa. The commanding officer of the Ryuken-san in 3059 as to 3067 was Tai-sa Alek Gossett. Chu-sa Heather Coleman was the commander of the Ryuken-san's aerospace wing, the Falling Skies, circa 3058. She graduated from the Aerospace and Interstellar Institute with high scores and rumors of various exploits in which she was engaged. She was rumored to have docked with an undocumented clan's WarShip for the purpose of engaging in a simulator battle with one of their pilots.
The unit displayed a talent for psychological operations, along with precise formations and maneuvers and the minimum radio communications necessary. Even their weapons engagements were noted for the precise and regimented control, especially when combined against enemy 'Mechs.
- CO: Tai-sa Sung Kim II 
- Note: At this point in time the unit was stationed on Niles. 
- CO: Sho-sho Sung Kim II
- CO/1st Battalion: Tai-sa Alek Gossett
- XO: Chu-sa Bunto Ishihara
- 2nd Battalion: Chu-sa Calvin Frost
- 3rd Battalion: Chu-sa Hohiro Namioka
- The command is designed for assault missions. The CO can count on 36 OmniMechs and all other machines are fully upgraded with new technology.
- Wing Commander: Chu-sa Heather Coleman
- The unit uses heavy weapons and machines to beat any enemy to pieces.
Ryuken-san Armor (1 Regiment/Reaular/Questionable)
- Armor Commander: Tai-sa Huang Wu Ti
- 24 light fighting vehicles provide flank cover for the remaining heavy machines and act also as scouts.
Ryuken-san Infantry (1 Regiment/Regular/Questionable)
- Troop Commander: Tai-sa Aritomo Sagi
- The unit is supported by 3 artillery batteries.
- CO: Tai-sa Alek Gossett
Falling Skies (Wing/Regular/Questionable)
- CO: Chu-sa Heather Coleman
Ryuken-san Armor (Regular/Questionable)
- CO: Tai-sa Hassid Lavigne
Ryuken-san Infantry (2 Battalions/Regular/Reliable)
- CO: Tai-sa Noguru Takashima
- CO: Tai-sa Leuthar Mulligan
Falling Skies Aerospace (Wing/Veteran/Reliable)
- CO: Sho-sa Taiki Kato
Ryuken-san Armor (Regular/Reliable)
- CO: Tai-sa Kirabo Wasswa
Ryuken-san Infantry (Veteran/Reliable)
- CO: Tai-sa Bernhard Mooshian
- CO: Tai-sa Kuniko Deguchi
Ryuken-san Aerospace (Wing/Veteran/Fanatical)
- CO: Sho-sa Kristen Paul
Ryuken-san Armor (Regular/Reliable)
- CO: Tai-sa Naomichi Kajahara
Ryuken-san Infantry (Veteran/Reliable)
- CO: Tai-sa Mohamed Bray
- Field Manual: Draconis Combine, p. 128, "Ryuken-san Unit Profile"
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 139 "Deployment Table
- Historical: War of 3039, pp. 61-62, "Caph (June)"
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 61, "Terran Corridor Operations"
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 63, "Procyon (May)"
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 63, "Saffel (June)"
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 115
- To Serve the Dragon
- Field Report: DCMS, p. 16
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 96
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 105
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 47
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 50, "DCMS Deployment Table - 3085"
- Technical Readout: 3145 Draconis Combine, p. 28
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 61, "Ryuken-san"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 66, "DCMS Deployment Table - 3145"
- Historical Turning Points: Misery, p. 9
- Field Manual: Update, "DCMS Deployment Table - 3067"
- Historical: War of 3039 , p. 139
- 20-Year Update, p. 41
- Objective Raids, p.28