Note: X and Y are coordinates (light years on XY plane) relative to Terra at (0, 0)
X: 400.63 Y: 174.89[e]
 Garrisoning Military Force
 Era Specific Information
 Owner History
- 2571 - Outworlds Alliance 
- 2572 - Outworlds Alliance (Occupied by Draconis Combine forces)
- 2581 - Outworlds Alliance (under Draconis Combine occupation)
- 2585 - Draconis Combine (from August)
- 2596 - Draconis Combine 
- 2750 - Draconis Combine 
- 2765 - Draconis Combine 
- 3025 - No record 
- 3054 - No record 
- 3059 - No record 
- 3063 - No record 
- 3067 - No record 
- 3130 - No record 
Originally a world within the Outworlds Alliance, Santiago was occupied by forces from the Draconis Combine Mustered Soldiery in November 2572 under the terms of Star League Directive 21. From the outset, the occupying 17th Galedon Regulars had adopted high-handed, bullying tactics that alienated the local population and resulted in a high level of antagonism between the DCMS forces and the local population. The occupation forces were subject to constant low-level resistance, with sniping and terrorist bombs a commonplace event that made it unsafe for DCMS troops to travel alone. The DCMS response was to instigate bloody reprisals against the population, which led in turn to more attacks. The local Santiago Militia were commonly involved in firefights with the 17th Galedon instigated when either a Combine soldier or Alliance citizen insulted or spat on each other. An early consequence of this pattern of behaviour was the Santiago Massacre in 2572 which saw two dozen civilians killed and more injured, including children, and which attracted criticism and protests across the Inner Sphere.
The tempo of resistance on Santiago had fallen off considerably by the late 2570s, as the resistance was either crippled or in hiding; when the SLDF invasion of the Alliance began in 2581, Alliance Defence Chairman Welkens Nordd arranged for supplies, arms and commandos to be supplied covertly to the Santiago resistance, with shipments arriving every few months. Although many of these shipments were intercepted by DCMS or SLDF forces, many still made it through, and the Alliance forces had help with their supply runs from sources within the Federated Suns. This allowed the resistance on Santiago to step up actions against the occupying forces again. The Combine forces retaliated with the widespread execution of suspected terrorists and deportation of suspects to prison and work camps across the Combine; then, when General Amos Forlough issued orders that any world that resisted occupation was to have the civilian population decimated, the 17th Galedon rounded up and executed 5,000 citizens.
In total, the low-level conflict on Santiago resulted in the deaths of 900 Combine personnel, including a garrison commander and 3 planetary governors, along with another 2,000 personnel injured. The toll was far higher on the population of Santiago; alongside the 5,000 citizens executed under Forlough's orders, another 1,200 - 2,400 citizens were executed after being accused of being terrorists, and another 5-10,000 were deported to Kuritan gulags. Despite this, the population still resisted, and Santiago was both inspiration and a rallying call for Alliance forces during the war. The Santiago resistance continued to receive support from the Alliance government until more than 20 years after the end of the war. However, with the signing of the Treaty of Cerberus in 2585, Santiago became a Draconis Combine holding.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 Historical: Reunification War, p. 111, "Santiago"
- ↑ Historical: Reunification War, p. 141, "Outworlds Alliance Front"
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Historical: Reunification War, p. 118, "Rage Unleashed"
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Handbook: Major Periphery States, p. 147, "Outworlds Alliance after Age of War (2571) and at the Fall of the Star League (2750)"
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Historical: Reunification War, p. 108, "Something From Nothing"
- ↑ Historical: Reunification War, p. 126, "Year Five: Peace In Our Time"
- ↑ Historical: Reunification War, p. 159, "Inner Sphere - 2596"
- ↑ Era Report: 2750, p. 37, "Inner Sphere - 2750"
- ↑ Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 11, "Inner Sphere - 2765"
- ↑ The Periphery (sourcebook), p.156, "The Outworlds Alliance Sector"
- ↑ Objective Raids, p.46, "Map of Periphery States: The Outworlds Alliance Sector"
- ↑ The Periphery, 2nd Edition, p. 110, "Outworlds Alliance"
- ↑ Inner Sphere, p. 98, "Near Periphery Kingdoms Map""
- ↑ Handbook: Major Periphery States, p. 150, "Outworlds Alliance (3067)"
- ↑ Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- ↑ Historical: Reunification War, p. 19, "Bloody Santiago"
- ↑ Historical: Reunification War, p. 125, "Year Five: Peace In Our Time"