- Harmony Gold and Piranha Games Have Settled - Probably
- The Succession Wars and so much more…
- MechWarrior Online World Championship Tournament Announced With Stock ‘Mech Restriction
- BattleTech Devs Talk About Making Game On A Budget
- Catalyst's BattleTech Lead Brent Evans Interviewed On Upcoming Box Sets
- Read more →
The development of smoke warheads was a means to deal with the range advantages of Clan weaponry. A very simple concept, these hot-fired LRM and SRM missiles can lay down walls of smoke up to 120m in width. 2 SRM's or 5 LRM's are capable of filling a 30m diameter area with dense smoke. Launchers with more than 2 SRM's or 5 LRM's can target adjacent areas in any configuration the firing unit desires. As smoke missiles are targeted at an area rather than a specific enemy unit it is relatively simple to lay the smoke rounds down on-target. Unfortunately the resulting smoke cloud is only 6m high and will dissipate within 30 seconds of impact. Although a smoke warhead is incapable of causing damage to targets the propellant is still volatile. In the event of an ammunition explosion, smoke warheads cause half the damage that the same number of normal SRM or LRM would cause.
In more recent rulebooks smoke missiles can also be launched by MML systems. The smoke is now two levels high and smoke radius and density as well as dissipation time depend on launcher size. Smoke may be subject to drift.
(As of 3057)
- Capellan Confederation
- Com Guards
- Draconis Combine
- Free Rasalhague Republic
- Free Worlds League
- St. Ives Compact
- Word of Blake
The Smoke Warhead is manufactured on the following planets:
|???||Sian||Hellespont Industrials||???|||
|???||Errai||Maltex Corporation||???|||
|???||Talon||Kallon Industries||???|||
|???||New Avalon||Lycomb-Davion IntroTech||???|||
|???||Coventry||Coventry Metal Works||???|||
|???||Skye||Cyclops Inc.||???|||
|???||Shiro III||Irian BattleMechs Unlimited||???|||
|???||St. Ives||HildCo Interplanetary||???|||
- Tactical Handbook, p. 60: SW's can only be mounted in standard SRM and LRM systems.
- Tactical Handbook, p. 60: One hex of smoke coverage is laid for each 5 LRM's or each 2 SRM's fired. The hexes must form a continuous area. The text does not indicate what happens to smoke warheads that miss.
- Tactical Handbook, p. 60: -4 Immobile Target Bonus applies.
- Tactical Operations, p. 371: Smoke Missiles (Standard LRMs/Standard SRMs/MMLs)
- Tactical Operations, p. 371: fill a target area with a column of smoke 2 levels high
- Tactical Operations, p. 371: This smoke varies in density and size with the damage capacity of the launcher used. [...]
- Tactical Operations, p. 47: Wind strength and direction will determine how smoke drifts [...]